Microsoft Wheel Optical Mouse

They have no BALLS!

Aug 2, 2006 (Updated Aug 3, 2006)

Pros:An affordable mouse.

Cons:none

The Bottom Line: Does away with cleaning and mouse pad.

I've been having problems these past couple of weeks both with my internet connection and my mouse. My connection will work fine, slow down to a halt and then disconnects.

It's been frustrating when you are doing something and not knowing if it will disconnect or not. On top of that my mouse has been acting up. It would freeze and then it would work. I tried taking it apart and cleaning it. I even went beyond removed and washed carefully the ball inside. I did everything possible even removing and reinserting the cable and that didn't work either. This old mouse was critically ill.

Between my cable connection problems which I can't fix but a service call is scheduled and an old mouse which came with my computer in 1999, I decided it was time to get a new mouse. My last review took over 1 hour to update a few errors because of my mouse and my connection working poorly.

I went to Wal Mart with intentions of buying a simple to use and inexpensive Microsoft mouse. They had several but no Microsoft. After looking at all the different models and specs, I decided on a Logitech Mini Optical Mouse. A male worker assured me it would work with my old computer. The cost was $14.38.

As soon as I arrived home, I immediately tried to install the new mouse. My old mouse had a PS2 connection but this new one had a USB connection. I don't know too much about the wires only that they looked different.

After spending about an hour on trying to install this Logictech mouse, I got frustrated and decided to go to Staples to see what they had. Installing a mouse should not be that difficult following the instructions I thought.

At Staples a very nice young salesman helped me find why I needed. They had many styles with different prices but not a white one like the one I was replacing. The price for the Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical was $19.98 but came with a rebate for $5. The color was irrelevant. He assured me it was easy to install.

When I got home again with the unplugging and plugging wires from the back of the PC. But this time the installation of the new mouse worked right the first attempt. The set up with the provided CD for the driver worked smoothly and quickly. They had either connection PS/2 or USB. Naturally I used the one I was familiar with the PS/2. I needed to re-boot the computer for the new settings (driver info) to take effect, but only took less than 15 minutes.

This was my first time at replacing a mouse. The "Getting Started" booklet only had 3 steps for the installation.

This new mouse DOES NOT have a ball inside. No more opening the back to clean the inside of dust and debris accumulated inside.

This is an Optical mouse without moving parts inside to collect dirt and wear out. The wheel can be customized for various settings. The Optical mouse has a LED red light on and under it for digital signal processing and does not require a mouse pad to work.

While typing this review, I had no problem with the mouse sticking and am convinced the old mouse was indeed bad. It's comfortable for for both left and right clicks. The wheel moves very smooth. My thumb and pinky rest on the contoured sides. This mouse is not curved for right handed users like my old one was, either left handed and right handed people will have an equal comfortable feel. It is curved and long enough so that any one's hand rests comfortably over the mouse without any difficulty.

States on Box:
For: Microsoft Windows XP, 2000, ME, 98, NT & Mac.
Faster Wheel Scrolling.
Made in China

www.microsoft.com/hardware

Final Thoughts
Reliable, faster & made for left or right hand users. Reasonably priced.

Microsoft Compact Optical Mouse 500 - Brand Factory Sealed U81-00009

Microsoft Compact Optical Mouse 500 - Brand Factory Sealed U81-00009

Microsoft Compact Wired Optical 500 USB Mouse (U81-00010) From the manufacturer The compact size of this three-button mouse makes it the perfect noteb...

Microsoft 3000 Mouse - Optical Wireless Radio Frequency - Usb - (2ef00002)

Microsoft 3000 Mouse - Optical Wireless Radio Frequency - Usb - (2ef00002)

Browse our Store | Ask a Question | Return Policy | Promotions | About Us Product Description Specification Payment Shipping Returns Microsoft 3000 Mo...

Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 -White

Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 -White

Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 for Business - Mouse - optical - 3 buttons - wired - USB - white

Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 for Business (Black)

Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 for Business (Black)

Features: Wired USB 1000dpi Optical Sensor Scroll Wheel For Right/Left Hand Plug-and-Play The black Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 for Business is a wire...
Microsoft 35H-00006 Optical Mouse 200 - Black

Microsoft 35H-00006 Optical Mouse 200 - Black

The Black Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 for Business is a wired USB mouse with a 1000dpi optical sensor. The Plug-and-Play mouse features a scroll wheel...
MacMall
Microsoft Wired Notebook Compact Optical Mouse500

Microsoft Wired Notebook Compact Optical Mouse500

A better way to work. This wired USB mouse uses an optical sensor to navigate with speed, accuracy, and reliability. From Microsoft.
QVC

Microsoft Hardware U81-00009 500 Usb Black Compact Optical

Microsoft Hardware U81-00009 500 Usb Black Compact Optical

Welcome to Our ebay store... Shop categories Shop Pages Product Information MICROSOFT HARDWARE U81-00009 500 USB BLACK COMPACT OPTICAL Item#: 946586 B...

Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 for Business; 5-Pack

Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 for Business; 5-Pack

Easy to set up and use right out of the box. Quick and precise navigation; high-performance 1,000dpi optical sensor delivers greater accuracy and cont...
Quill.com

Microsoft - Sculpt Comfort Wireless Optical Mouse - Black

Microsoft - Sculpt Comfort Wireless Optical Mouse - Black

Microsoft Sculpt Comfort H3S-00003 Wireless Mouse: This ergonomic, right-handed mouse features a scooped thumb design and a 4-way scroll wheel for eas...
Best Buy

Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 for Business - Mouse - optical - 3 buttons - wired - USB - black 35H-00006