Midland WR-100 Weather/RDS Radio Reviews

Midland WR-100 Weather/RDS Radio

Peace of mind for under $30!

May 22, 2008

Pros:Easy to use, with a loud alarm and good, clear reception

Cons:None. It's excellent.

The Bottom Line: Don't leave your family's safety to chance. Spend $30 and be prepared for the worst that Mother Nature can throw at you.

Recently, I reviewed an Oregon Scientific handheld weather radio, and if you've read that review, you know that I was far from impressed with its performance.

That radio has now been replaced by a desktop radio that is better in every possible way, the Midland WR-100.

In my area, this radio is available through a couple of grocery store chains for $29.99 in a special promotion sponsored by our ABC television station. Wal-Mart also carries the radio for $29.76, and that is where I got mine.

Price aside, let's talk about features. Oregon Scientific claimed a 90dB siren, which I never did find. Midland equips the WR-100 with a REAL wake-up call! Yes, folks, if this siren doesn't wake you, nothing will. It has to be louder than any siren short of the new "Rumbler" that Tulsa's police department is using in their patrol cars. It's just plain LOUD! And that could mean the difference between life and death in middle-of-the-night severe weather situations.

Programming the radio to alert you for only areas which you want to be warned is simple, and up to 25 areas can be saved. You do need to know your area's SAME code, which is available at the National Weather Service website. Reception of the weather radio is excellent; I was able to receive a station some 130 miles away, although your experience may differ. If the standard antenna isn't good enough for clarity, there is a jack to add an external antenna (available from Midland).

The radio also includes a clock with alarm (a good one). The menu is easy to figure out and easy to navigate, with arrow keys to scroll through the choices.

As a trained weather spotter, I always recommend having a good, dependable weather radio at bedside to ensure that you know when severe weather is coming at any time. Your family's safety is worth the cost of this radio, folks. Be prepared. Buy a Midland.

DESCRIPTION This weather monitor is new in the original sealed package. Sold exactly as pictured.Manufacturer:Midland Model:WR-100 Cosmetics:New/Seale...

MIDLAND WR-100C ALL HAZARDS PUBLIC ALERT NOAA PROTECT YOUR FAMILY IN ADDITION TO IMPROTANT WEATHER ANNOUNCEMENTS, YOU WILL ALSO RECEIVE OTHER EMERGENC...
MIDLAND WR 100 ALL HAZARD ALERT WEATHER RADIO ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~New in Box SEE PHOTOS ************************We strive to make every buyer happy with t...