Midland WR-100 Weather/RDS Radio Reviews

Midland WR-100 Weather/RDS Radio

Inexpensive, Loud home weather station

May 26, 2008

Pros:inexpensive, loud, clear warnings

Cons:not weather proof, requires a power supply or batteries,

The Bottom Line: I would not rely on this weather radio if you live in areas of high risk regions. It is not durable and is dependent on batteries or a power supply.

The midland Wr-100 is an affordable NOAA weather radio with alert feature that can be had for around 30 dollars. It can be programmed to tune into your local/regional weather alert station and will signal a loud alert signal if a threat is sent out. The threat is not automatically broadcast unless you press a button on the radio to acknowledge the alert. Otherwise, the alarm continues to sound.

Overall, the design of the radio is quite basic. A plastic body with a digital display that lists the type of alert and station tuned to. The radio accepts 3 AA alkaline batteries and has a DC power input on the back. It also has a 2 foot retractable antenna. The radio is not weather proof.

In our experience with this radio, we can't leave it on alert mode constantly because it alerts for every small storm or marine advisory since we live near the ocean. We usually turn it on when we know large storm is coming. Since the radio alarms until you reactivate the alarm, there was a day when we first purchased the radio where we were hitting the acknowledgement button every few minutes because the weather station was broadcasting a marine advisory every 5 minutes.

This is obviously not ideal to only have the weather radio on during an expected storm but we do not live in a high tornado risk, fire, or earthquake area. The most we worry about are hurricanes and flooding.

Overall, this radio serves our basic needs for the occasional large storm or hurricane that passes through our area. I do not think I would recommend this radio for those living in areas with risk of having sudden severe weather.

I have for sale a New in the box Midland WR-100 NOAA Weather Radio With S.A.M.E Messaging feature. The box may have some small imperfections. I am not...

MIDLAND WR-100C ALL HAZARDS PUBLIC ALERT NOAA PROTECT YOUR FAMILY IN ADDITION TO IMPROTANT WEATHER ANNOUNCEMENTS, YOU WILL ALSO RECEIVE OTHER EMERGENC...
Brand Name
SquareTrade AP6.0 Midland WR-100 Emergency Alert WX/NOAA Weather Radio w/S.A.M.E.(Specific Area Message Encoding) The Midland WR-100 weather alert rad...