NetGear WG602 (606449011272) 802.11b/g Wireless Access Point Reviews

NetGear WG602 (606449011272) 802.11b/g Wireless Access Point

Epinions Product Rating: OK

"A source of frustration..."

Apr 18, 2005
  • User Rating: Disappointing

• Ease of Installation:

Pros:Never got it working long enough to find any!

Cons:See the text of my review.

The Bottom Line: Tech-support might have been helpful... but I usually gave up after being on hold for two hours.

Recently, I decided it was time for me to replace the old Belkin “B” router that I’d been using for some time with a newer, “G” system. Not that the increase in transfer speed from 11mb to 54mb meant a thing in my particular situation (it didn’t… I use my system purely as an internet access point & rarely connect faster than 1.3mb). I went shopping one day for the best price & I picked up a Netgear unit for what seemed to be an unrealistically low price (after rebate, of course). Netgear was a popular brand & I figured that for that reason I couldn’t go wrong, thinking that they were all basically the same regardless of who I bought from. While the Netgear seemed to be just as good a quality device as others I’d seen; no matter what I tried I couldn’t get the darn thing to work properly. I tried for three days; repeatedly installing then un-installing the software & configuring it in every way that was suggested in the literature (or that I could even think of myself) to no avail. I even took it back to the store with the thought that perhaps I had just gotten a faulty unit. I returned home with another one but soon realized that the whole frustrating cycle was beginning all over again. I even got to the point where I thought about it at work during the day & began to dread the possibility of going home & spending my precious evenings pulling my hair out at my computer desk (while, incidentally, I waited on perpetual hold for a customer-support rep who might get to my call an hour-and-a-half after placing it… if I was lucky). This time though, I decided to take advantage of the lesson I’d learned form the day prior & I returned this one after only two days. This time I wanted my money back. I took that money to the Staples down the street & purchased a Linksys router that I had working FIFTEEN MINUTES after returning home! Now… do I think that Netgear equipment sucks or is otherwise inherently faulty? Of course not. See… I’m like a lot of people; I have some degree of computer acumen, though I’m far from being a Guru. I’m quite sure that whatever problem I was having with my Netgear router was the result of some oversight on my part. That said, I approached the Linksys and the Netgear installations with the same mind-set and the exact same set of personal pre-conceptions. So why then was it that the Linksys router fired up so much more easily (or at all, in this case)? Maybe it had something to do with a sort of non-intuitive way in which the Netgear literature & setup process were presented. I don’t know. What I do know is that I’m very happy with my wireless router… and it’s not made by Netgear.

Driver Availability: Don''t Know

Netgear R6200 Wireless Ac 1200 Dual Band Gigabit Router 802.11 Ac/b/g/n

Netgear R6200 Wireless Ac 1200 Dual Band Gigabit Router 802.11 Ac/b/g/n

Go wireless with the NetGear R6200 router that provides high-speed Internet access with speeds of up to 867 Mbps. Also, with four Gigabit Ethernet por...

PCM

MacMall
NETGEAR R6300 - Wireless router - 4-port switch - Gigabit LAN, 802.11ac - 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac R6300-100NAS

Netgear 11AC Wireless Dual Band Router - Black (R6200-100NAS)

Netgear 11AC Wireless Dual Band Router - Black (R6200-100NAS)

Find network routers, hubs and switches at Target.com! Take your home network to the next level with the netgear 11ac wireless dual band router in bla...

Netgear NETGEAR R6300 - Wireless router - 4-port switch - GigE - 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac - Dual Band (R6300-100NAS)

The NETGEAR R6300 Wi-Fi Router delivers next generation WiFi at Gigabit speeds. It offers the ultimate mobility for Wi-Fi devices with speeds up to 3x...
Dell

Netgear R6200 Wireless Ac Dual Band Gigabit Router, R6200-100nas

Netgear R6200 Wireless Ac Dual Band Gigabit Router, R6200-100nas

NETGEAR R6300 - Wireless router - 4-port switch - Gigabit LAN, 802.11ac - 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac R6300-100PAS

Netgear NETGEAR R6300 - Wireless router - 4-port switch - GigE - 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac - Dual Band (R6300-100PAS)

Dell

Netgear(R) R6300 Wireless AC1750 Smart Dual-Band Wi-Fi Router

Netgear(R) R6300 Wireless AC1750 Smart Dual-Band Wi-Fi Router

Provides enhanced wireless coverage Speeds up your wireless connection with AC1750 Gigabit Wi-Fi technology. 802.11ac dual-band Gigabit Wi-Fi gives yo...
Office Depot