Nikon COOLPIX 4800 4.0 MP Digital Camera - Silver Reviews

Nikon COOLPIX 4800 4.0 MP Digital Camera - Silver

Nikon 4800 Coolpix Camera - The Best Close-Up Shots I've Seen!

Feb 21, 2005 (Updated May 7, 2005)

• Battery Life:
  • Photo Quality:

Pros:Outstanding close-up pictures, compact, lightweight, vivid color, good battery life

Cons:Cannot do much editing with PictureProject software; hard to rename

The Bottom Line: I highly recommend the Nikon Coolpix camera for consumers looking for great closeups and vivid colors.

The Nikon Coolpix 4800 digital camera is bringing me a whole new digital shooting experience from my previous Kodak digital camera. The Nikon Coolpix 4800 is lightweight and compact combining 4 megapixels, a powerful 8.3x optical Zoom and a range of functions that make it easy and exciting to operate shooting from wide angle screens to close telephoto shots.

I received this camera as a gift and little did the party know how desperately I needed a new digital camera. Santa was so good to me that not only did I get a new digital camera but the brand that I have always trusted, Nikon, due to their outstanding reputation and durable quality.

Out of the Box
• Nikon Coolpix 4800 digital camera
• EN-EL1 lithium-ion rechargeable battery
• Battery charger
• Camera strap
• USB cable
• A/V cable
• CD-ROMs featuring PictureProject and Reference manual
• Camera manual (printed)
• Quick Start Guide (also printed)

I quickly used the Quick Start Guide, put the battery in the charger, put the camera strap on the camera, took the CD and installed the software, and then proceeded to the read the manual anxiously awaiting for my first picture after the battery was fully charged which took about 2 hours.

Specifications

• Pixels: 4.0 million
• CCD: 1/2.5-inch high density
• Lens: 8.3 Zoom Nikkor ED (ED helps reduce the purple fringing)
• Focal range: 6 - 50 mm, which is equivalent to 36 - 300 mm
• Monitor: 1.8-inch LCD monitor too
• Frame coverage: 97% vertical and horizontal during shooting
• Diopter Adjustment: -3 – 1m
• 13.5MB of internal memory
• Storage: Compatible with popular SD memory cards.
• File System: compliant with Design Rule for Camera File System (DCF), Exif 2.2, and Digital Print Order Format (DPOF)
• File Formats: Compressed: JPEG_baseline-compliant; Movies: QuickTime
• Software: PictureProject (supplied)
• Built-in microphone
• Exposure Metering: 256-segment Matrix metering linked to AF area
• Exposure Control: Programmed auto exposure with exposure compensation (-2.0 - +2.0 EV in steps of 1/3 EV)
• Exposure Range: Wide: +2.9 - +14.8 EV; Telephoto: +4.3 - +14.3 EV
• Self Timer: Approximately 10 seconds
• Built-in speedlight flash: 0.4 - 4.3 m at wide-angle and 1.0 - 2.6 m at telephoto
• Interface: USB 2.0 full speed
• Video output: Can be selected from NTSC and PAL
• I/O Terminals: DC in; audio/video (A/V) out with digital I/O
• Power Sources: One rechargeable Nikon En-EL1 lithium-ion battery (supplied); optional disposable 2CR5 lithium battery
• EH-54 AC adapter (optional)
• Pict-Bridge compatible
• Approximate battery life: EN-EL1: 240 shots; 2CR5: 360 shots
• Camera dimensions: 4.17 inches wide x 2.6 inches in height x 2.13 inches depth
• Camera weight: 9.0 ounces without battery or memory card (255 g)

Operating Systems

Apple Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows 98SE, Microsoft Windows ME, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft Windows XP Professional

More Cool Stuff

The mode dials and controls are located on the back of the camera and each button has one function to make it user friendly.The Nikon Coolpix 4800 digital camera features Nikon's BSS (Best Shot Selector) and AE-BSS (Auto Exposure BSS) functions. With BSS selected, the camera takes up to ten images and only the sharpest one will be automatically saved to memory. With AE-BSS enabled, the camera has the power to automatically select one from five shots with the best relative exposure.

The Nikon Coolpix 4800 digital camera has the power to excel in low light conditions too – offering noise reduction to maintain the quality of shots with longer exposures, an AF-assist illuminator that supports focusing in dark places and the advantage of a new built-in Speedlight flash.

There is a choice of 15 different Scene Modes to make it easy to achieve great pictures easily, while four of these modes also offer Scene Assistance that aids in composition in even the most difficult situations.

For movie shooting, the Nikon Coolpix 4800 digital camera records TV-size movies at the rate of 15 fps.

The camera also features a Voice Memo function, which allows up to 20 seconds of sound to be added to still images.

There is a Time Zone setting that allows the user to choose the appropriate time zone on the camera to set the correct time for wherever they happen to be.

When the camera is connected to a Pict-Bridge compatible printer via the UC-E6 USB cable, selected images can be directly printed from the camera.

PictureProject Software

The Nikon 4800 Coolpix digital camera comes with a software product called PictureProject. To transfer your pictures to the computer, you hook the cable to the camera and the computer and simply turn the camera on. PictureProject automatically appears on the screen of your computer.

It then proceeds to bring up the pictures on your camera and displays them on your computer monitor where you select which ones to transfer. Transferring is only a matter of seconds. It is so fast, I forget to turn off the camera as I am so use to the Kodak taking forever.

After transferring is completed, it takes you to the main screen of PictureProject which is your photo organizer, letting you put photos in folders, give them keywords for easy searching later, rotate them, etc. Images are named DSCN####.JPG, where # = 0001 - 9999. The file numbering is maintained even if you replace and/or format memory cards.

The PictureProject Edit screen lets you adjust a few things, such as brightness, color, and sharpness and also offers automatic adjusting and redeye removal. The Photo Effects option lets you quickly change the image to black and white or sepia.

You can also E-mail your photos in PictureProject or share them online via NikonNet.

A slideshow feature lets you put your photos to music.

Actually, I expected the software to be able to edit the pictures if needed better than what is offered and renaming the pictures is not an easy task. This has been the only drawback that I have found.

My Experience

I take a lot of pictures not only for family occasions, but also for E-Bay items. My E-Bay items range from as small as a doorknob on a car to as large as a car hood.

It takes about 2.5 seconds for the camera to wake up and open its lens before you can start taking pictures. It plays a quick musical sound displaying the Nikon logo when first turning it on.

I really enjoy the 1.8" viewfinder on the back of the camera. The screen is bright and the images are sharp. You can switch between the electronic viewfinder and the LCD with a simple push of a button.

The mode dial on the back offers: 1) auto record for your simple point and shoot; 2) 11 scene modes where you choose a situation and the camera chooses the proper settings such as: Party/indoor, Beach/snow, Sunset, Dusk/dawn, Night landscape, Close-up, Museum, Fireworks, Copy, Back light and Panorama assist; 3) Portrait Assist, Landscape Assist, Sports Assist, and Night Scene Assist where it offers you choices of different framing options; 4) movie; and 5) setup where choices include date, time zone, date imprint on or off, monitor settings, sound settings, format memory card, language, video mode, and firmware.

I frequently use the close-up scene mode to give my smaller items greater detail for my pictures used for E-Bay. You can get as close as 1 cm to your item, which basically means "right up against it". In order to get that close, you will need to adjust the zoom to just until the little flower on the LCD turns green, which is near the wide end of the lens. The close up on this camera is astounding and I really cannot ask for better. I can take a picture of printed words in a manual and you can actually read them!

I absolutely love the Best Shot Selector (BSS) and frequently use this. It will take up to 10 pictures in a row, and the camera magically picks the sharpest one, and tosses the rest. There is also Highlight BSS which is picture with the smallest area of overexposure is selected and Shadow BSS where the picture with smallest area of underexposure is selected and Histogram BSS where the picture with least under and overexposure is saved. In these modes, the camera will accept five rather than the ten pictures.

The zoom controller is to the right of the mode dial. You can switch from wide angle to telephoto in about 1.5 seconds or just do increment presses for your desired focal length.

Movie Mode

With currently only having the built-in memory, I can only record a few seconds of video, so I do need to buy a memory card. The few seconds it did take turned out well and the sound quality was good. The camera records at 15 frames/second. The movies are saved in the QuickTime format and the software is provided for that.

To Sum It Up

Whew!!!!!!! This camera is packed with features and I am still learning them as fast as I can. I find that the Nikon Coolpix 4800 digital camera takes sharp, colorful, and well-exposed images. I haven’t had any problems with redeye. The camera is small, lightweight and easy to grip and maintain a hold without cramping your fingers or hurting your wrist.

The point and shoot features are easy to use and in a few minutes of reading the manual, the scene modes become understandable in how and when to use them.

I took a picture outside on our deck of the sun appearing after a big snowstorm and was astounded to see the higher quality difference between that one and the one I had taken with my Kodak. No comparison, the Kodak was dull compared to the vivid image of the Nikon.

The camera is great in low light situations as I frequently find myself taking pictures late at night in our great room without a heck of a lot of light.

The battery is great and since I got the camera 5 weeks ago, I have not recharged it yet.

The built-in lens closure is a great concept and I do not have to worry about the lens getting dirty while sitting out or getting scratched.

The macro mode is superb on this camera giving your pictures great detail.

I cannot comment or compare this camera as a professional but for a regular consumer, this is one great all around camera that is easy to use and move around with.

The warranty is one year.

Amount Paid (US$): Gift
This Camera is a Good Choice if You Want Something... Easy Enough for Anyone to Use

Nikon Coolpix L810 16.1MP Digital Camera Red + 16GB Deluxe Kit

Nikon Coolpix L810 16.1MP Digital Camera Red + 16GB Deluxe Kit

Nikon COOLPIX L810 16.1 MP Digital Camera with 26x Zoom NIKKOR ED Glass Lens and 3-inch LCD - Red (includes manufacturer's supplied accessories) 16 Gi...
Nikon - Coolpix 14.1 Megapixel Compact Camera - Violet

Nikon - Coolpix 14.1 Megapixel Compact Camera - Violet

Coolpix S1100pj Compact Camera. Big fun time. Built-in projector in a compact camera. Project pictures and videos onto flat surfaces; control key came...
Best Buy

Nikon P7100 10.1MP Digital Camera with 7.1x Optical Zoom - Black

Nikon P7100 10.1MP Digital Camera with 7.1x Optical Zoom - Black

Find digital cameras at Target.com! This portable nikon p7100 camera delivers versatility, performance and speed. Get amazing photos and hd (720p) mov...

Nikon COOLPIX P600 16.1MP Digital Camera Red Kit

Bundle Includes: COOLPIX P600 16.1MP Digital Camera - Red 16GB Secure Digital SD Memory Card Compact Deluxe Gadget Bag for Cameras/Camcorders AA C...
Beach Camera.com

Nikon COOLPIX P600 16.1MP Digital Camera Red Kit

Bundle Includes: COOLPIX P600 16.1MP Digital Camera - Red 8GB Secure Digital SD Memory Card Compact Deluxe Gadget Bag for Cameras/Camcorders 3pc. ...
BuyDig.com

Nikon Coolpix S70 Brown 12.1MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom

Nikon Coolpix S70 Brown 12.1MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom

Get the shot without the fuss with the Nikon Coolpix S70 Brown Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom. The Nikon Coolpix S70 Brown Digital Camera with 5x...

Nikon Coolpix S3600 Compact - 20.1 MP Digital Camera - Silver

Nikon Coolpix S3600 Compact - 20.1 MP Digital Camera - Silver

Become a stylishly sharp shooter with the 20-megapixel COOLPIX S3600. Its slim body is packed full of features, making it the carry-anywhere camera th...
Dell

Nikon - Coolpix S9700 Digital Camera, 16MP, 30x Optical/4x Digital, 3 OLED Display, Full

Nikon Coolpix S9700 Digital Camera, 16MP, 30x Optical/4x Digital, 3 OLED Display, Full HD 1080p Video, Wi-Fi, GPS, HDMI/USB, Black The Nikon Coolpix S...
Adorama

Nikon Coolpix P600 Black 16.1 MP Digital Camera - 26462

Nikon Coolpix P600 Black 16.1 MP Digital Camera - 26462

16.1 Megapixels/ 60x Optical Zoom-NIKKOR Glass Lens/ 120x With Dynamic Fine Zoom/ Built-In Wi-Fi/ Vari-Angle Display And Electronic Eye-Level Viewfind...
Abt Electronics

Nikon Coolpix S02 13MP Digital Camera with 3X Optical Zoom

Nikon Coolpix S02 13MP Digital Camera with 3X Optical Zoom

Find digital cameras at Target.com! Nikon coolpix s02 13mp digital camera with 3x optical zoom