PPI PC2600 Car Amplifier

For Perfectionists Only

May 2, 2005

• Sound Quality:

Pros:Massive power, superb sound reproduction, crystal clarity, excellent reliability, awesome chrome plating

Cons:price, availability

The Bottom Line: It will provide massive amounts of power, last for years, and look overly impressive if you have it mounted visibly. This is one product that I most definitely would recommend.

Overview
The PPI 2600 is a high grade car stereo amplifier. It acts to take the relatively weak signal coming from the head unit, and amplify the power of that signal to allow your speakers to play at a much higher volume. Most head units will put out around 15-25 watts per channel, or 60-100 for the whole system. This amp is capable of amplifying to 600 watts.

Installation
I was impressed from the moment I unpacked this amp. Its chrome plated along the entire length, and designed in a classic curvature. I may not win points for the coolest unique look ever, but should more than satisfy almost anybody with its universal appeal.

The installation is simple enough. Plug your input cables in, take your speaker cables out. There are no unexpected complexities, and everything is clearly marked. There are two minor difficulties that I ran across that may or may not apply to your case.

First, and this is more of a reminder for you than a complaint, this amp is quite large. I haven't measured but I'm sure it's well beyond a foot long. Please be sure to get size specifications from your retailer before deciding on it. Of course, bear in mind that most amps pushing this much power will be this large. Despite its large footprint, it is surprisingly thin.

The only real trouble is the crossover and gain controls. Instead of being external knobs that you can just adjust at will, they are inset controls. To adjust them, you need to use a small flathead screwdriver reaching about a centimeter into a depression. This isn't a problem during initial installation, but after you mount it if you have little space to the side it can become bothersome. Even so, the knobs turn easily so if you find a small enough screwdriver you should be fine.

All in all, installation went smoothly and we had no problems.

Sound Quality
I ordered this amp to support my Eclipse 8810 subwoofer. I choose the 2600 for the same reason I choose the 8810...because I wanted the best, regardless of cost. Well, that's not completely true; we'll say 'regardless of cost within reason'. ;)

So are they really that good? Was it worth $400+ for the speaker and $700+ for the amp (way back in the day)? Without question.

The notes come through crystal clear and without distortion of any kind, even when turned up a great deal. Base notes are consistent and the amp provides perfect sound reproduction. There are no pops, hisses, distortions, etc at all. I have turned the volume up until I can't make out even a blur in my mirrors and the people standing outside the car can hardly stand the sound, and the 2600 handles it easily.

I cannot say enough good things here. I have had this hooked up to a stock Pontiac Monsoon system, as well as a Kenwood aftermarket head unit, and it sounded amazing with both. If given the choice, I'd never buy another non-PPI amp again.

Reliability
This is an important point for an amp. We can start with overheating. My amp is in my trunk, hidden under my rear trim panel where my spare tire used to be stashed. There is little to no ventilation (until next week), and never has been in all the time I've owned it. I consistently have my sub up loud, rarely dipping below 100 watts output I would say. Even so I've never had a warning light, never had it shut off, never had it lose volume, nor seen any other sign of overheating. No matter what I throw at it, the thing never even breaks a sweat. (pun intended) ;)

To further impress its reliability on you, consider that I bought this shortly after I bought my first new car. That was a 98 Trans Am, so at this time the amp is almost 8 years old. That wouldn't be so impressive in itself, except that I bought it used on Ebay so I could save a few hundred bucks! So to recap, it has gone through 8 years with me, an unknown number of years with an owner that, for all I know, could have really beaten it, and somehow managed to survive shipping across the nation.

Try not to drop it out your window onto a concrete sidewalk, and I doubt you'll ever run into a problem with reliability.

Conclusion
The 2600 is a solid piece of equipment that I doubt you could blow out if you tried. It will provide massive amounts of power, last for years, and look overly impressive if you have it mounted visibly. This is one product that I most definitely would recommend to others if you have the cash.

Ppi Precision Power Pc650.2 650 Watt Rms 2/1 Channel Car Amplifier Stereo Amp

Ppi Precision Power Pc650.2 650 Watt Rms 2/1 Channel Car Amplifier Stereo Amp

SquareTrade AP6.0 BRAND NEW PRECISION POWER PPI PC650.2 POWER CONTROL SERIES 650 WATT RMS 2 CHANNEL AMPLIFIER COMES WITH 3 YEAR WARRANTY Power Class S...

Precision Power Ppi Pc650.2 (pc6502) 650w Class Ab 2-ch Power Car Amplifier/amp

Precision Power Ppi Pc650.2 (pc6502) 650w Class Ab 2-ch Power Car Amplifier/amp

Sonic Electronix - New eBay Template Product SKU: 24411 ID: pc6502 The X-Factor when Shopping Electronics Our Store Contact Us About Us Returns Paymen...

Precision Power - PPI PC360.2, Car Amplifiers

Precision Power - PPI PC360.2, Car Amplifiers

360W RMS Power Class Series 2-Channel Car Amplifier (PC 3602)

Precision Power Pc650.2 650 Watts 2-channel Class A/b Car Audio Amplifier Ppi

Precision Power Pc650.2 650 Watts 2-channel Class A/b Car Audio Amplifier Ppi

SquareTrade AP6.0 Template By Froo! Precision Power PC650.2 650 Watts 2-Channel Class A/B Car Audio Amplifier PPi Precision Power PC650.2 650 Watts RM...

Precision Power - PPI S580.2, Car Amplifiers

Precision Power - PPI S580.2, Car Amplifiers

580W Max, Sedona Series 2-Channel Amplifier

Precision Power - PPI S270.1, Car Amplifiers

Precision Power - PPI S270.1, Car Amplifiers

270W Max, Sedona Series 1-Channel Monoblock Amplifier

Pc640.4 Precision Power 4 Ch Car Audio 640w Speakers Amplifier Ppi Brand

Pc640.4 Precision Power 4 Ch Car Audio 640w Speakers Amplifier Ppi Brand

Brand New!PC640.4 - Precision Power 640W Power Class Series 4 Channel Amplifier Retail Price: $449.99 Features Specifications: General Features: Seque...

Precision Power Ppi S270.1 Ppi Class D Sedona Monoblock Car Amplifier/amp S2701

Precision Power Ppi S270.1 Ppi Class D Sedona Monoblock Car Amplifier/amp S2701

Sonic Electronix - New eBay Template Product SKU: 23661 ID: s2701 The X-Factor when Shopping Electronics Our Store Contact Us About Us Returns Payment...

Precision Power - PPI S320.4, Car Amplifiers

Precision Power - PPI S320.4, Car Amplifiers

320W Sedona Series 4-Channel Amplifier

Precision Power Ppi Pc360.2 (pc3602) Class Ab 2-channel Power Car Amplifier/amp

Precision Power Ppi Pc360.2 (pc3602) Class Ab 2-channel Power Car Amplifier/amp

Sonic Electronix - New eBay Template Product SKU: 24410 ID: pc3602 The X-Factor when Shopping Electronics Our Store Contact Us About Us Returns Paymen...