Panasonic CQ-C8400U CD Player/MP3 In Dash Receiver

The best display for a unit in its price range

Jun 1, 2004

• Sound Quality:

Pros:Big display; Rotary Knob; Slim remote; Plays MP3 and WMA; Virtual Subwoofer

Cons:Long CD-RW disc load times; Unresponsive buttons at times; FF/REW speed not incremental

The Bottom Line: If you want a big display with nice resolution and good power this is a very good choice

After three weeks comparing different car stereos brands and models I decided to go for the Panasonic CQ-C8400U because of the display and features. It has the highest resolution and screen size in all car stereos in its class.

These are the features it has that I like the most:

- The 256 X 80 3D Dot matrix display: It's the biggest display for a unit on this price range. Besides letting you display the Album, Artist and Title from MP3 files, it lets you watch little movies and pictures that you can make yourself with Panasonic's Image studio application.
- The feature that lets you turn your back speakers into a Subwoofer, so if you donīt want to buy an amp and subwoofer right away, this is a nice alternative.
- Nice 60W power
- The rotary knob: Even if the knob is not so much elevated so that your fingers can grasp it very easily, at least it's bigger than most other models like Kenwood and Pioneer.
- The different display modes for the CD source, I can see: a)The Album, Song and Artist info; b)The file and folder name or c)the tree structure of the CD
- It plays WMA files
- The remote control is thin and easy to manage
- Nice blue illumination (although it doesn't match my Peugeot 206CC orange panel)

The things that I don't like too much about this unit are:

- It takes about 15 seconds to load a CD-R disc and about 20 seconds to load a CD-RW disc
- The buttons are a little bit unresponsive when changing folders (I cannot switch between folders immediately)
- The "Fast Forward" and "Rewind" speed is not incremental when pressed down. If I am listening to single 100 minutes MP3 file, I wish that I could quickly reach the latter parts without having to wait too long.
- I cannot store the name of radio stations

Overall I recommend this brand, I think it's very good.

Panasonic Cq-c5303u Vehicle Cd Receiver With Mp3/wma Playback - Brand

Panasonic Cq-c5303u Vehicle Cd Receiver With Mp3/wma Playback - Brand

North Florida's Audio / Video Choice This listing is for a brand new Panasonic CQ-C5303U Vehicle CD Receiver with MP3/WMA Playback --Highlights-- CD p...

Pioneer Deh-p8400bh Cd/mp3/wma Player Built-in Bluetooth Hd Radio

Pioneer Deh-p8400bh Cd/mp3/wma Player Built-in Bluetooth Hd Radio

*****************BRAND NEW*******************

Panasonic Cq-dp620/720 Cd Player In Dash Receiver

Panasonic Cq-dp620/720 Cd Player In Dash Receiver

New in box Panasonic CD Player and receiver Model # CQ - DP720EUC/DP620AEUC FREE! Sellers: Add a FREE map to your listings. FREE! val2160 Store