Pentax ZX-30 35mm SLR Film Camera

A very good camera, perfect if . .

Apr 25, 2001 (Updated Aug 15, 2001)

• Battery Life:
  • Photo Quality:

Pros:simple, easy to use, good useful features, responsive, quiet (except AF), lightweight, compact, cheap.

Cons:cheap plastic body (not sturdy), dim viewfinder image and unclear/small display, no self-timer LED

The Bottom Line: An ideal choice for many users.

It is a very good and carefully designed camera indeed. In my opinion, even better than the ZX-7 or many other models of the other brands, even not consider the price. The most lovely thing of the camera is that all the features are basic useful ones and they are easily accessible and the handling of the camera is superior. You can use the point and shoot typical program modes or the classic A, S, M modes. I like the single focus area in the center, You will not choose the wrong mode becoz there is not much additional modes for you to choose. There is no choice of metering also, but I am satisfied with the 6-zone multi-pattern metering. It is quite accurate but of course not 100% reliable.

It is also a quiet and responsive camera, except that the AF noise is at a normal acceptable level.

Some should note that non-A Pentax lenses cannot be used with this camera, but this is not a problem for me.

I did not very like the plastic lens mount in the very beginning, but after used for months, I only found that the mount was scratched but there is no shift in position of the mounted lenses at all. By considering I just have 2 common zoom lenses and one fixed wide-angle, the plastic mount may be enough for me.

Nevertheless, I must mention some poor materials used in the camera body. The top plate is very easily scratched. The construction of the battery door is very poor also, the joint seems to be broken very soon! If you don't mind a camera body
with scratches, I think it will be ok for you. BTW, I am not very minded about it, but just mention.

The viewfinder is not very clear, even after diopter adjustment, and rather dim in low light. On the other hand, you cannot see the displayed information in the viewfinder clearly under sunlight!

Lastly, I would mention something about the user manual. It is useful and clearly written, or sometimes a little bit lengthy, e.g., it has been mentioned many many times the camera will not work if the lens' aperture is not set to "A". Furthermore, I note that some of the illlustrations in the manual are not accurate, e.g., the LCD displays an exposure combination of F22 and 1/125s for the "action program", just because Pentax used the same picture on different pages for different program modes!

Minolta - Maxxum 300si 35mm SLR Film Camera Body, Film Cameras

Minolta - Maxxum 300si 35mm SLR Film Camera Body, Film Cameras

Minolta Minolta Maxxum 300si 35mm SLR Film Camera Body Minolta Maxxum 300si 35mm SLR Film Camera Body embodies many of the characteristics that will a...

Nikon - F6 35mm Autofocus SLR Camera Body - USA, Film Cameras

Nikon - F6 35mm Autofocus SLR Camera Body - USA, Film Cameras

Nikon F6 35mm Autofocus SLR Camera Body - USA The F6 includes the latest Nikon advances, such as the 11-area AF system for exceptionally high-speed au...

Lomo Lca+ 35mm Slr Film Camera In Box Bundled With Blik & Leather Case

Lomo Lca+ 35mm Slr Film Camera In Box Bundled With Blik & Leather Case

Capture those cherished moments with the Lomo LCA+ film camera that ensures high-quality creative shots. Equipped with the legendary Minitar 1 32/2.8 ...

Nikon N75 35mm Slr Film Camera With Quantaray 28-90 & 70-300 Lens

Nikon N75 35mm Slr Film Camera With Quantaray 28-90 & 70-300 Lens

For users who need high-resolution pictures from a lightweight camera, the Nikon N75 is a good choice. This 35 mm SLR camera is a reliable device that...

Lomography Action Sampler Flash 4-lens 35mm Film Camera

Lomography Action Sampler Flash 4-lens 35mm Film Camera

Dimensions / LxWxH (mm):8.212.54.5; Net Weight(KG):0.17
LightInTheBox

LOMO Colorsplash 35mm Instant Film Camera With Flash (Black)

LOMO Colorsplash 35mm Instant Film Camera With Flash (Black)

Color:Black; Dimensions / LxWxH (mm):15.255.253.75; Net Weight(KG):0.36
lightinthebox
Lomography - Sprocket Rocket, 35mm Film Panorama Camera with Wide 30mm Lens, Specialty Cam

Lomography Sprocket Rocket, 35 mm Film Panorama Camera with Wide 30 mm Lens Lomography Sprocket Rocket, 35mm Film Panorama Camera with Wide 30mm Lens ...