Polk Monitor 60 Floor Standing Speakers Reviews

Polk Monitor 60 Floor Standing Speakers

Outstanding speakers for the money

Nov 20, 2006

• Flatness:
  • Imaging:
  • Overall Sound:

Pros:Looks great, small enough for a medium-sized room, mids and highs are reproduced beautifully.

Cons:Could be better on the bass, but that can be easily corrected with a subwoofer.

The Bottom Line: If you're looking for a solid mid-range price performer, buy these speakers.

These speakers really surprised me. At $600 a pair, they aren't cheap, but they don't go into that astronomical audiophile-quality price range either. I found that for the bulk of the music I listen to, these speakers perform admirably. The only thing really missing with these is low end performance. I compensated for that with a Polk PSW404 subwoofer and am very pleased with the results.

I bi-wired these up to my Onkyo 703 with high-end monster cables after listening to them with the single wire set-up using lower-end speaker wires. The difference is noticeable. If you're going to fork over $600 for these speakers, you should strongly consider spending a bit extra on the speaker wires so that you get the most bang for your buck. Take advantage of the bi-wiring feature to get the most you can out of these.

Mids and Highs are very well represented by this speaker. They sound best at moderate volume, though I'm sure they'd sound great at full blast with a better amp.

I ended up matching these with another set of Monitor 60's (4 total), my PSW404 sub and a CS1 center channel speaker for my Dolby Digital home theater. The room is medium sized and it fills the soundscape very nicely. SACD's sound fantastic on this system and the speakers pick up very subtle nuances of the music I listen to quite well. I'm especially impressed with how these speakers handle jazz and classical.

Amount Paid (US$): 600 (pair)

(2) JBL STUDIO 180 6.5-INCH 3-WAY FLOORSTANDING SPEAKERS . COLOR: BLACK BUY IT NOW PRICE IS FOR TWO (2) SPEAKERS. ONE PAIR. BRAND NEW, FACTORY SEALED....