Polk PSW10 Powered Subwoofer Reviews

Dec 21, 2006

• Flatness:
  • Imaging:
  • Overall Sound:

Pros:Low cost, clean natural bass, easy hook up, non critical room placement, excellent warranty

Cons:No magnetic shielding. I dont know if unit has overload protection or not.

The Bottom Line: You would have to go a long way to find a better subwoofer for the price.

I recently purchased a Polk Audio PSW 10 subwoofer. I can report that I am very pleased with this unit! It is easy to connect to any stereo amp or receiver, and has both RCA jacks, and spring loaded connections that accept ordinary speaker cable, for the inputs. This subwooder has a volume control and an adjustable crossover. The "punch" of the subwoofer can therefore be tailored to fit the listening room and the listener's personal taste. When matched with a good quality set of primary stereo speakers, this subwoofer delivers truly excellent quality sound! The variable controls lets the listener "blend" the subwoofer with the main speakers, so the sound is full, but yet not with overpowering thump. (Unless the listener wants excess thump.) The Bass output from the Polk PSW10 is tight and clean, unless you crank the volume more than 3/4. At very loud volumes, the bass transitions from natural sounding punch to boomy, and somewhat distorted sound, however, I have never needed to crank the subwoofer volume more than half way to have VERY SUFFICIENT bass for my listening requirements! I listed to mainly Rock, new country, and pipe organ music. These types of music really come alive with this subwoofer, and makes me wonder how I did without one for so long. The woofer is warranted for 5 years, and the 50 watt RMS amplifier is warranted for 3 years, indicating that Polk is willing to back it's equipment with a decent warranty to boot. Although the amp is rated at "only" 50 watts RMS, this subwooer nicely fills a medium size living room with full rich bass. It might not be adequate for very large, or acoustically dead rooms (for example with with lots of carpet, or tons of upholstered furniture.) I have not found that subwoofer placement is terribly critical to getting decent sound. I do recommend that the subwooer NOT be mounted on a stand. I find it sounds best sitting directly on the floor, almost against a wall. More bass can be extracted by putting the unit in a corner, but this is not necessary in my opinion. The unit has an automatic power off feature, so the unit doesnt have to be manually turned on and off. I recommend use of Monster type speaker cable to feed the subwoofer. What else can I say, this is an excellent subwoofer especially for the price, and it actually outperforms many larger and more expensive models that are built by other manufacturers!

Cable, Subwoofer, 1-Way
Single 10-inch subwoofer in black with built-in high-current amplifier for big bassEquipped with one 10-inch polymer-composite dynamic-balance cone dr...
Cable, Subwoofer, 1-Way
Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black), Free Shipping, New Details: Manufacturer: Polk Audio Size: 10 Inch Color: Black Item Dimen...