Polk RTi8 Floor Standing Speakers Reviews

Polk RTi8 Floor Standing Speakers

High quality, beginner audiophile loudspeaker

Dec 24, 2007 (Updated Dec 24, 2007)

• Flatness:
  • Imaging:
  • Overall Sound:

Pros:Clarity, wide soundstage, smooth sound without harshness, attractive wood veneer

Cons:Could use deeper bass, but no problem if you have a subwoofer

The Bottom Line: As good as it gets in its price range, for better speakers it would be at least $300 PER speaker. 5 stars due to price.

I bought a pair of RTi8s on sale from frys.com for about $350 shipped. The RTi series (RTi4, RTi6, RTi8, RTi10, and RTi 12) are being replaced with the newer 2008 version, the RTI A series, resulting in sales from them clearing their stock. The speaker normally retails for around $250 I would say. As far as I know, the speakers are the same as their newer counterparts, except for a nicer wooden finish.

The first thing you notice about the Polk Audio RTi8 is its aesthetics. Its gorgeous compared to most speakers, using a real wood veneer available in black oak or cherry, and is attractive with the front screen on or off.

First let me say, you get what you pay for. If you're not a huge sound buff that needs accuracy or crystal clear clarity and only want speakers for casual listening and watching dvds, you can buy some somewhat decent HTIB 5.1 speaker systems for about the same price as these. But if you have the means and want to start a real home theater/music system, this is a pretty good place to start. Speakers are bi-wireable, bi-ampable.

I'm using a modest Onkyo 805 receiver with no additional amplifier. I'm certain it would benefit greatly with the addition of an amplifier though. Despite no amplifier, I'll try to describe the speaker in one word, clarity. The sound highs are right on pitch without harshness, the mids don't wander off and the bass is punchy. I'd recommend using a subwoofer as almost any speaker will sound better with the addition of a quality subwoofer. I'm currently using a SVS PB12 sub for the low low frequencies, and accompanied with the Polks, its spot on. I can listen for hours if I wanted to with no listening fatigue. It has a wide soundstage for a beginner loudspeaker and dialogue through tv or movies is also clear. Listening to an orchestral recording as a reference, you can tell if speakers can pull their weight due to range of high and low frequencies. With the RTi8s, they certainly do pull their weight. I can turn up the volume very loudly without distortion.

You can spend more for better speakers, but most people neither have the resources or even want to shell out thousands for speakers when money can be spent much better ways. But for 90% of people, I think this would satisfy them greatly, enhancing their music, movie, and tv experience significantly. I use these with a Samsung LCD HDTV, XBOX 360, and a Sony 5 disc dvd player, and the Polks sound great from all of these sources.

Driver Complement
Mid/Woofer 2 - 6-1/2" Diameter (16.51cm)
Polymer Composite Dynamic Balance Cones with Rubber Surrounds
Tweeter 1 - 1" Diameter (2.54cm)
Silk/Polymer composite dome
Crossover 2.2kHz, 12dB/Oct Low Pass, 18dB/Octave High Pass
Inputs Dual (bi-amp) gold plated 5-way binding posts
Dimensions
Cabinet Size 41-5/8" H x 7-3/4" W x 15-1/2" D
(105.73cm H x 19.68cm W x 39.37cm D)
Enclosure Type Vented via Power Port

Amount Paid (US$): 350ish

The Polk RTi8 250 W speaker will change your perception towards high-quality audio equipment with its amazing sonic performance. With a power output o...
Please thoroughly read all of the information in this listing before making your purchase. If you have any questions or there is an error in the listi...