-63%

Pyramid BNPS122

Jan 7, 2008
  • User Rating: Very Good

• Sound Quality:

Pros:Cheap. Sounds great while it works. Looks cool. ;)

Cons:Maximum power handling is rated too high.

The Bottom Line: Buy these if you're on a tight audio budget, but do not run them at the full wattage, they will blow at 1200W.

I purchased this subwoofer from a friend for about $70, slightly used. It sat in my bedroom for a while, hooked up to a 1970's Technics SU-V9 amplifier, rated at 90 watts per channel. It sounded great with that, put out a lot of bass, especially for a 1200 watt sub getting only 180 watts. Another friend of mine was interested in them and he ended up trading me his modded Xbox for them. He ordered an amplifier for them (LA890 - American Legacy Series 2 - 1200 Watt High Performance 4 Channel Amplifier made by Pyramid) and as soon as he got it, we installed it in his car. The amp and subwoofer were paired with a Pioneer head unit. The combination of the three produced great sound, and had powerful bass. Bass drops used so much power the headlights would dim. Still, not quite what I had expected from 1200 watt subs. It ran fine for quite a while until one day the amp wouldn't turn on, we discovered that the right woofer had blown, and the voice coil shorted, tripping the amplifier. So we just ran the one woofer on 600 watts, what the woofer was rated at. That lasted until the end of the day and the other woofer blew. And that was the end of them. In general, I'm rather disappointed with them.

Subwoofer Features: Dual 12in High Power 4 ohm Subwoofers Power Handling: Peak: 1200 watts Final Impedance Options: 2 Ohms (Mono) 8 Ohms (Mono) ...
Sonic Electronix
PYRAMID BNPS122 Dual Bandpass System with Neon Accent Lighting (12; 1,200-Watt)