NetGear  ProSafe (GS605) 5-Ports External Switch Reviews

Dec 30, 2006
Rated Show
  • User Rating: Very Good

• Ease of Installation:

Pros:Inexpensive and small.

Cons:Doesn't support UPnP

It has a nice appearance, and reasonably small - a little larger than two packs of cigarettes side by side. I bought it because I had one network jack in a spare bedroom, and wanted to put both a PC and a PVR in that room. The PVR had been in there for months, working fine. I put in the NetGear GS605, with the PVR plugged into it. 24 hours later, the PVR isn't visible on the network.

I know that the PVR uses UPnP (Universal Plug-N-Play) to broadcast it's presence on the network. For an unknown reason, after a while, the NetGear GS605 squelches those packets. If I power cycle the PVR, it does the DHCP thing, and the NetGear sends out packets just fine. The PVR is visible on the network, and will remain so for about a day. But then, the PVR goes invisible again.

As far as the PC in the spare room - the NetGear is fine. No problem at all there.

Driver Availability: Windows and Linux

For a high-speed network on a small scale, nothing delivers like these stylish powerhouses. These fast, easy, and affordable Gigabit switches gives yo...

Give your home or small office network maximum capacity to handle huge bandwidth. This switch painlessly performs high-end multimedia, gaming and Web ...
Best Buy