Seagram 7 Crown

One of my original sins

May 17, 2000

Pros:Smooth, delicious and relatively cheap

Cons:Only for whiskey drinkers

I have a deep, unconditional love for Seagram's 7. Aside from cheap, plastic-wrapped cigars and late-night Skinemax, this dark whiskey is my original sin. I've drunk it from pint bottles, fifths and 1.75-liter jugs. I've drunk it with Coke, 7-Up and sour mix. I've drunk it at home, in bars, in vacation condos, restaurants and dorm rooms. It's given me mild buzzes and incapacitated me. Once or twice, I've even thrown it up. But like a dog returning to his feces, no matter how tidy or filthy the outcome, I always come back to Seagram's 7.

The dark purple-brown bottle looks both imposing and austere. Its packaging hasn't changed in decades. (Why mess with perfection?) And, really, in the grand scheme of things, it's just a middle-shelf liquor. The most you'll pay for a bottle of Seagram's 7 is $9.99 -- and, if it's on sale, a buck or two less than that. The 80-proof whiskey is simple and smooth, charcoal-filtered to perfection. Jack Daniel's may taste better, but a good bottle of Seagram's is all a writer-slash-journalist-slash-armchair-philosopher like me needs or desires.

The classic Seagram's drink is, of course, a Seven-and-7, made with 7-Up or any decent lemon-lime soda. (No Vess or Sam's Choice, in other words.) I have a friend who swears by Mountain Dew and Seagram's 7, but I've also seen him attempt to scale brick walls while intoxicated. Mixed with 7-Up, though, Seagram's 7 sparkles, foams and goes down smooth. If you like the taste of whiskey, you'll no doubt agree with me -- the two beverages are perfect complements.

We all have our preferences, but I'm always willing to go out on a limb and recommend Seagram's 7 to people looking for one drink or a few. It's delicious, satisfying and (like any 80-proof alcohol) quite intoxicating. And you can't beat the price.

Crown Royal Maple Finish Bar Mat

Crown Royal Maple Finish Bar Mat

This is a professional quality bar mat. Heavy rubber, black with gold logo. Brand new, never used, never put in a bar. It measures about 11 x 14 X 1/2...

Royal Crown Patch 1266

Royal Crown Patch 1266

Vintage 1980s crown patch embroidered with gold and silver threads on a black background.Made in India.Sold individually.