Everything I Wanted and More - Sharp R-402J 1100 Watts Microwave Oven

Dec 4, 2009

Pros:large size, turntable, 1100 watts, easy to use and clean

Cons:fingerprint magnet

The Bottom Line:

My family highly recommends the Sharp R-402J 1-2/5-Cubic-Foot 1100-Watt Microwave.

When my old microwave died, I immediately went looking for a new one. I use my microwave a lot, so I wanted it replaced as soon as I could. My old microwave was a Sharp model, which had lasted me over ten years, so I was looking to stay with a Sharp. The main thing I was looking for in a new microwave was I needed a family size one and one that had a turntable.  I did some research and found the Sharp R-402J 1-2/5-Cubic-Foot 1100-Watt Microwave, Black at BJ’s. The Sharp R-402J Microwave offered everything I wanted and more.

The Sharp Microwave is a 1.4 cubic foot 1100 watt microwave. On the outside it measures 21.5” wide, 12.25” high and 17.25” deep. The model I purchased was black but it also comes in white.

The Sharp Microwave is a countertop model. It has a nicely designed so that it looks nice on my microwave stand.

There is plenty of room on the inside of this microwave. It has a glass turntable that helps cook food evenly. No need to worry about turning your foods as it does it automatically.

I have been able to use any size pan in my microwave. It does hold a 13x9 pan but the pan will not rotate because of its size. Other than that, I have not had any issues with pans.

You can see through the door of the microwave so you can see if something is boiling over. The microwave does not have a handle but has a button at the bottom right corner that you push to open the door.

The Sharp Microwave offers an easy to read lighted clock display. It has six cooking program keys, six reheating program keys, and four defrost keys. It also offers popcorn key, eleven power levels, a touch-pad control and comes with a one year warranty that I did not have to use.

On the door towards the bottom right of the microwave are three buttons. There is a minute plus button, stop/clear button and the start button. The minute plus button is a button you touch once and the microwave goes on high power for one minute. If you touch it twice, it will cook for two minutes and so on.

The touch pad control is big and easy to read. On the touch pad there is also a power level button where you can adjust what power level you want to cook at, a clear button in case you make a mistake, and a time/clock button. This button is used to set the clock or the timer. I have never used the timer as I don’t trust having uncooked foods in my microwave all day.

The program buttons include a popcorn button, which I have never used. I manually set the microwave when cooking popcorn. The six cooking program keys included are for baked potatoes, fresh vegetables, frozen vegetables, frozen entrees, ground meat and rice. I have only used the baked potato button. You place the potatoes in the microwave and hit the cook baked potato and then push the touch pad for how many potatoes you are cooking. You then close the microwave and hit the start button. It makes perfect potatoes in minutes.

The four defrost keys are for ground meat, steaks/chops, boneless poultry and bone in poultry. I have used the ground meat and boneless poultry options. I have forgotten many nights to pull something for dinner. So when I get home, I must defrost my meat and these buttons aid in this. For these buttons, you push the defrost meat button you desire and then with the touch pad, but in how many pounds of meat. You do have to watch when defrosting meat as sometimes the edges start to cook. I try to keep an eye on it when it is defrosting and pull apart the parts that are thawed.

The six reheat buttons are for a casserole, soup, pizza, beverage, dinner plate and fresh rolls/muffins. I have never used any of these functions as I normally just program the microwave myself for any of these.

I use my microwave mainly for boiling water, making cocoa, oatmeal, making popcorn, reheating foods, defrosting and microwave soups and frozen vegetables and meals. I don’t really “cook” too much in the microwave. Our microwave does get used almost daily.

The Sharp Microwave is easy to clean. I normally put a measuring cup of water and squeeze a lemon into it. I then cook on high for five minutes. I then wipe my microwave out. I do this on a weekly basis to keep it clean and fresh inside. The outside wipes clean with a damp wet cloth or I have used Clorox wipes on it too. If you get something caked on the turntable it is easily removed. I normally soak in hot soapy water and it easily will wipe clean.

The microwave does seem to be a fingerprint magnet though. I find myself wiping the outside down daily because of this.

When using, the microwave is relatively quiet. It does beep when the cooking process is done.

I purchased my Sharp R-402J 1-2/5-Cubic-Foot 1100-Watt Microwave at BJ’s for $89.00. I did notice that they still offer this model but it is $99.00. I’m sure you can find the microwave at stores that sell home appliances and online. The Sharp Microwave is reasonably priced.

The Sharp R-402J 1-2/5-Cubic-Foot 1100-Watt Microwave offers many functions that I don’t use. I guess I am so use to putting in my cooking times that I forget about the preset functions.

The microwave does come with a handy user’s manual which is easy to read.

The Sharp Microwave would make a great wedding present or gift for anyone in need of a microwave. It is a great family sized microwave. Or if your family is looking for a new microwave, I would recommend the Sharp R-402J Model.

There really isn’t anything I don’t like about my Sharp Microwave. It is easy to use, easy to clean and it gets the job done. It is so easy enough to use that even my husband and boys use it to cook items.