Sony Handycam DCR-TRV70 Mini DV Camcorder
(15 Epinions reviews)
Epinions Product Rating:
Best consumer-level camcorder in the market
Dec 11, 2003 (Updated Dec 11, 2003)
Review by julsol
Rated a Very Helpful Review
In my opinion, this has to be the best consumer-level camcorder right now in the market. Before I purchased it, I made sure I took a long time comparing it to other similar products, particularly the Panasonic 953. In the end, the Sony TRV 70 was the most versatile and feature-packed of the two, and Im very glad I chose it over the 3-CCD model from Panasonic.
Recommend this product?
Heres the breakdown of my experience with this wonderful machine:
The positive side:
- Size and weight for a camera with so many features.
- Image quality and color reproduction.
- Performance in low light was considerably better than the Panasonic 953
- Excellent quality of 2.1 megapixel still photos. The software that comes with the camera for downloading and archiving your photos is very cool, making the process fully automated as soon as you connect the camera to your computer via USB.
- Connectivity: it packs every connection and link available to digital camcorders in the market (Firewire, USB, S-Video, analog, etc).
- Intelligent pop-up flash and flash-shoe.
- Excellent menu of digital features, accessed through a touch-screen LCD. This is a much better way to access these features than the button menu in other cameras.
- Battery life is very decent for normal operations.
- Steady-shot capabilities are decent in normal conditions.
- Excellent Carl Zeiss lens
- Full wide-screen mode! This feature blew me away.
- Infrared night-vision.
- Blue-Tooth Network capabilities: too many to list here!
- MPEG recording mode.
Room for improvement:
- It comes with a meager 8MB memory stick, barely enough for a handful of still pictures. If you plan on using the photo mode often, you may want to purchase a larger memory stick for this camera.
- Performance in low-light conditions could definitely be improved, although its WAY much better than the Panasonic 953. I had a very hard time getting any decent video in interiors with the three-chip Panasonic model. Although the Sony TRV 70 started to display some grain in low-light interior shots, the picture was still decent enough.
- Cassette loads from the bottom! While this give the camcorder more room for features, it becomes painful if you have to change tapes when using a tripod.
In short, this is an extraordinary camera for both home and semi-pro usage. It really is difficult to shoot bad video with this camcorder. This was one very happy purchase, and the more I use this machine, the more it surprises me.
Amount Paid (US$): 1000
Recommended for: Professional Videographers - Broadcast Quality Videos
Share this product review with your friends
Sony NEX-VG900 Full Frame Interchangeable Lens Handycam Camcorder (no lens) The Sony NEX-VG900 interchangeable lens Handycam camcorder features a 24.3...
Sony NP-FS21 Battery For Sony DCRPC1 and Sony DCRPC5/ Original FEATURES: SPECIFICATION: InfoLithium Rechargeable Battery Pack for DCR-PC1 Up to 145 mi...
Sony NEX-VG900 Full Frame Interchangeable Lens Handycam Camcorder - BUNDLE - with Sony 28-75mm Lens, Rokinon 85mm Lens T1.5 Cine Lens, 64GB Memory Car...
Capture high-quality photos and videos with this Sony Handycam NEXVG30H HD camcorder, which features a CMOS sensor and a BIONZ processor for crisp, de...
The 3.0-inch (16:9) Clear Photo Plus LCD touch screen (460 K) displays sharp, bright, vivid images, letting you compose a shot more easily - even outd...
14MP, 12X, 3.5, Wi-Fi, NFC, 1 Sensor shoots crystal-clear 4K video at 30 frames per second,Optical SteadyShot(tm) image stabilization with Active mode...
Search our eBay Store! Order Toll Free (800) 991-3350 International (631) 389-2138 Essentials Bundle for Sony Handycam HDR-CX330, HDR-PJ340, HDR-PJ540...
Take your moviemaking to the next level with Full HD/60p video, image stabilization and a built-in projector that makes everything clear, shake-free a...
Make it memorable with Sony Full HD/60p and a built-in projector. Capture amazing footage in low light and control, transfer and backup everything via...