Sony Grand WEGA KF-50WE610 50" 720p HD LCD Television

Just got my Sony 50" Grand Wega - LCD vs. DLP review

Nov 9, 2003

• Sound:
  • Picture Quality:

Pros:Brilliant display, crisp detail, fairly lightweight, nice looking bezel, little/no reflection. Hey, "It's a Sony!"

Cons:Darks could be better, possible dead pixel problem, bulb life, remote could be better.

The Bottom Line: Check out both DLP and LCD sets, you can't go wrong with either one. I bought the Sony based on price, picture and quality.

I've been doing some research for the past few months and like many of you want to get the best for your money especially when it comes to a high ticket/price item such as a television. I could've plopped down $5000 plus for a decent plasma but decided that I would only get a plasma for the "cool factor" not necessarily a great picture.
Enter LCD vs. DLP.
It was really a toss up between the Samsung HLN507W and the Sony KF-50WE610. Both had brilliant displays, colors and great looking bezels. In fact, my buddy opted for the Samsung and I got the Sony. The Samsung uses DLP, based on the Texas Instrument's HD2 engine which uses millions of mirrors to recreate the TV image. Sony uses LCD with 3.28 million pixels to recreate the TV image. At first glance, you would think that the DLP would have the edge, no burn in, nice looking darks, sharp images. Then I compared them side-by-side and ended up getting the Sony. The Sony seemed more crisp, detailed and focused. That's not to say the Samsung was blurry; it was good also but the Sony seemed a little bit more clear than the Samsung broadcasting the same HDNet program. The price was also a deciding factor, the Samsung was selling for around $3600-3800 and I paid $2699 for the Sony. Another factor is that Texas Instruments will probably release their HD2+ chip soon and I didn't want to purchase a DLP set knowing the next chip will debut soon. Front projectors are already starting to use the new HD2+ chip so it's a matter of time the rear projector sets will follow.

The picture quality is excellent. Even normal standard definition looks pretty good and HD broadcasts are awesome. I'm amazed at the brightness and how crisp the picture is. Dark colors and blacks don't bother me much and I don't seem to have the problem that some have said; that it looks purplish or blue-ish. Progressive scan DVD is awesome, I'm using the Samsung DVD-HD931 with DVI output to my Sony and watching both Star Wars and Matrix Reloaded is a religious experience.

The black bezel around the set keeps your eyes focused on the screen. Compared to last year's model (Grand Wega II or GW II) KF-50XBR800 I like this year's model much more. The GW II had a very relective screen and there is little or no glare on the GW III. I'm amazed at how nice the set looks, and it is only about 18" deep. It's fairly lightweight; a little over 100lbs compared to my old 36" Sony Wega was about 240lbs.

In all, I've been very pleased with my purchase and have no regrets. I've owned quite a few Sonys TVs in the past and they keep making quality TV products (although their computing products have a ways to go). If you're undecided between the DLP or LCD, just go and compare them side by side. You really can't go wrong with either set, and it really comes down to a matter of personal preference.

Sony Grand Wega Projection TV Brand New High Quality Original Projector Bulb

Sony Grand Wega Projection TV Brand New High Quality Original Projector Bulb

Grand Wega Sony Projection TV Bulb Replacement without cage assembly . Brand New High Quality Original Projector BulbGrand Wega Bulb Replacement
Sony XBR Grand Wega Projection TV Brand New High Quality Original Bulb

Sony XBR Grand Wega Projection TV Brand New High Quality Original Bulb

XBR Grand Wega Sony Projection TV Bulb Replacement without cage assembly . Brand New High Quality Original Projector BulbXBR Grand Wega TV Bulb
Sony Xl-2400 Lamp Bulb W/housing Grand Wega 3lcd Rear Projection Tv Xl2400

Sony Xl-2400 Lamp Bulb W/housing Grand Wega 3lcd Rear Projection Tv Xl2400

This is a brand new replacement lamp, highest quality replacement bulb with housing for Sony Grand WEGA units. This will get your TV back up and runni...

For Sony Kf-60we610,kf-we42,kf-we42a1,kf-we42s1,kf-we50,kf-we50a1 Tv Lamp

For Sony Kf-60we610,kf-we42,kf-we42a1,kf-we42s1,kf-we50,kf-we50a1 Tv Lamp

Providing Excellent Service Since 1989 Compatible for SONY KF-60WE610,KF-WE42,KF-WE42A1,KF-WE42S1,KF-WE50,KF-WE50A1 TV Lamp new with Housing 150 days ...

Osram PVIP Series Grand Wega Bulb Bulb Only for Sony Projectors

Osram PVIP Series Grand Wega Bulb Bulb Only for Sony Projectors

Mwave Sony kf-50we610 lamp for Sony TV with Housing

Mwave Sony kf-50we610 lamp for Sony TV with Housing

New Replacement Lamp (includes bulb and housing) Compatible for Sony kf-50we610 Manufacturer Part Number: xl-2100u / xl-2100 / a1606034b
Mwave.com

Sony Kf-50we610, Kf-60sx300, Kf-60we610, Kf-we42, Kf-we42a1 Compatible Lamp

Sony Kf-50we610, Kf-60sx300, Kf-60we610, Kf-we42, Kf-we42a1 Compatible Lamp

Providing Excellent Service Since 1989 Sony kf-50we610, kf-60sx300, kf-60we610, kf-we42, kf-we42a1 Compatible Lamp All projector / tv lamps are 100% c...

Osram PVIP Series XBR Grand Wega Bulb Bulb Only for Sony Projectors

Osram PVIP Series XBR Grand Wega Bulb Bulb Only for Sony Projectors

Sony Xl-2400 Replacement Lamp For Grand Wega 3lcd Rear Projection Hdtv

Sony Xl-2400 Replacement Lamp For Grand Wega 3lcd Rear Projection Hdtv

Product Features 6 Month Warranty Installed in a Brand New Housing Product Details Product dimensions: 0 x 0.033 x 0.033 inches, 0 pounds Sony's XL-24...

Original Sony KDF-50EA11 Grand Wega TV Assembly with Philips Cage and UHP Bulb

Original Sony KDF-50EA11 Grand Wega TV Assembly with Philips Cage and UHP Bulb

Original Sony KDF-50EA11 grand Wega TV Assembly with Philips Cage and Philips UHP Bulb Brand New Original Philips CageHigh Quality Original Philips UH...