Sony S2 Sports ZS-X3CP CD Boombox

Funky design gives off a quality sound.

Jan 27, 2003

• Sound:
  • Battery Life:
  • Portability:

Pros:Great style, very good sound, MP3 capability, and water resistant.

Cons:No remote

The Bottom Line: Great all around system. Very easy to use. Very funky design. The only thing is that it should have come with a remote control but SONY HAS DONE IT AGAIN!

I bought the boombox back in November so that I can have some music to listen to while using my Bowflex in my garage. There were other boomboxes that I was interested in purchasing but the funky design of this boombox is what made me buy it. The design reminds me of the robot, Johnny 5, from the Short Circuit movies. It’s a great all around radio to use.

The boombox has your basic CD options (Repeat, Forward, Backward, etc.). It even comes with a feature called ESP or Electric Shock Protection. This feature prevents the CD that you’re playing from skipping. It does this by using its built in buffer memory that stores about 10 seconds of data. If you play the music loud enough you will hear the current track on the CD still playing when you forward to the next track on the CD. There have been times though where the track on the CD has skipped with the ESP feature turned on so if you don’t need to have the music really loud then you really shouldn’t so that your track won’t be skipping every 2 seconds. Another issue with the ESP feature is that they say the sound quality is not as high with this feature on but have not noticed any major difference in the quality of the sound with the ESP feature on.

The display on the boombox is well lit. It’s black, bold lettering with a lit orange background. This display is very easy on the eyes. It displays perfectly the station you are listening to, the track that’s playing and the timer, and it even has a feature in where you can activate a screen-saver while playing your music. All you need to do to activate the screen-saver is press and hold the Display button for about 2 seconds. There are 4 different screen-savers that will be displayed so ever time you activate it a new one will display. It’s too bad that you can’t download new screen-savers from the Internet.

The boombox has a jog lever that make it real easy to change radio stations and browse the tracks on your CD. It reminds me of a joystick for video games. You can also use the jog lever to preset your radio stations very easily. You can preset up to 20 stations on this radio. The one thing that I found strange when listening to FM and AM stations is that when you’re listening to FM stations you need to orient the antenna for better reception but when you’re listening to AM stations you need to adjust the boombox itself. I don’t know why that is.

The boombox can either play MP3 files from a CD-R/CD-RW or an MP3 player in where you can connect it to the boombox. I haven’t tried connecting an MP3 player because I don’t have one yet but I have played MP3 files on a CD-R and CD-RW and it’s as if you’re playing a regular music CD. You can use the display screen to see what folder and track you’re currently in (it could also display the name of the track for you). You can program what files you want to play in random order.

The sound quality of this radio is great for its size. The sound comes in very clear and if you want to add more bass to your sound it can easily be done with the push of just one button. One thing I was upset was the fact that there was no equalizer option on this system.

The design allows you to either lay the system down vertically or horizontally (the speakers pointing up). I like how the built-in handle of the radio is designed and how sleek and shinny the radio looks. Overall, I am very happy with this radio. Sony has once again done it with the sound, usability, and style. I haven’t tried using the batteries on this radio but once I do I will let you know.

AC Adapter Power Supply Cord for Sony ZS X3CP S2 ZSX3CP Sports CD Radio Boombox
AC Adapter for Sony ZS H10CP ZSH10CP Radio CD MP3 Player Boombox DC Power Supply

Sony Rmt-cd5ad Remote Control Zs-d5 Zs-d5u

Sony Rmt-cd5ad Remote Control Zs-d5 Zs-d5u

SONY RMT-CD5AD REMOTE CONTROL BRAND NEW !!!Picture shows the actual Item BATTERIES NOT INCLUDED!!!Return shipping will be paid by buyer Originally sup...

UpBright┬ AC Adapter For Sony ZS-H10CP ZSH10CP Radio CD MP3 Player Boombox DC Power Supply

UpBright AC Adapter For Sony ZS-H10CP ZSH10CP Radio CD MP3 Player Boombox DC Power Supply CECCCROHS 100-240
Sony Zs-rs70bt Portable Cd Player Bluetooth Boombox Am/fm Home Stereo Speakers

Sony Zs-rs70bt Portable Cd Player Bluetooth Boombox Am/fm Home Stereo Speakers

Sony Portable ZS-RS70BT CD Player Bluetooth Boombox This listing is for ONE (1)Brand New in original Box Sony Portable ZS-RS70B CD Player with all its...

Sony Cfdg700cp Boombox Xplod Portable Am/fm Radio Cd Player Cassette Recorder

Sony Cfdg700cp Boombox Xplod Portable Am/fm Radio Cd Player Cassette Recorder

Listen to your favorite music no matter where you are with the CFD-G700CP Xplod boombox. This boldly styled stereo boasts a 5-inch power drive woofer,...

Sony Zs-x10white Am-fm Cd Boombox (superb Sound) - Brand

Sony Zs-x10white Am-fm Cd Boombox (superb Sound) - Brand

yanshen66 Store Product Features Shock-resistant, sports-minded audio to go Digital AM/FM tuner with up to 30 station presets CD player plays CD-R/RW ...

Ac Power Cord Cable Flat Fig 8 For Sony Zs-s2ip Cd Boombox Stereo

Ac Power Cord Cable Flat Fig 8 For Sony Zs-s2ip Cd Boombox Stereo

AC Power Cord Cable Flat Fig 8 for Sony ZS-S2ip CD Boombox This 6ft cord works with Sony Boomboxes as well as many other electronic devices. This cord...

Sony Portable Boombox w/ Bluetooth ZS-BTY50 Black