Bose 201 Series V Main / Stereo Speakers Reviews

Bose 201 Series V Main / Stereo Speakers

Free Shipping Abt Electronics
Free Shipping Crutchfield

Great speakers, lacking only a bit of bass

Nov 10, 2008

• Flatness:
  • Imaging:
  • Overall Sound:

Pros:Outstanding mids & treble if placed properly

Cons:Bass is a bit lacking, they must be placed properly for the best sound.

The Bottom Line: Great as compact bookshelf speakers or surround speakers. Would be awesome with a sub.

I bought my Bose 201s many years ago, when I was still in high school. (90-94) I still have them to this day.

I bought them because of Bose's reputation for filling a room with sound without the need for surround sound and all the extra wiring that goes with it.

What I love about these speakers is that they are designed to use the walls of the room to reflect the sound where it is needed. Be sure to follow the placement guide provided by Bose for best sound.

I don't "hate" anything about them. But I will admit they do have weaknesses. Despite Bose's reputation, these do not give much bass. On all three receivers I've had them wired to, I had to turn the bass nearly all the way up to get any semblance of bass from them. Also, they need to be placed such that the tweeters are pointing towards the wall for the best sound. My mom has a set of 301s, which have far superior bass, but she puts crap in front of the tweeters on the right side, and has the tweeters pointing into the drapes on the other side. So my cheaper 201s have much better treble.

The 301s are about 30% bigger, but the bass response is about 100% better. If I had it to do again, I would spring for the 301s.

As it is, I wound up finding a set of Bose Interaudio Series big boys and hooked them up to my receiver's B speaker channel. This gave me the bass I was after, and the 201s' superior treble finished the picture.

These would also make outstanding surround speakers, if you have shelves in the right places.

Cable, Main / Stereo, 2-Way, Subwoofer Power: 10 Watt
High-Sensitivity 2 Stereo Targeting Tweeter/ Spatial Dispersion Speaker Lens/ High-Excursion 6-1/2 Woofer/ Automatic Protection Circuitry/ Priced Pe...
Abt Electronics

Bose 201 Series V Direct/Reflecting Speaker System, Black The Bose 201 Series V Direct/Reflecting Speaker System speakers are designed to work with a ...
Adorama
Cable, Main / Stereo, 2-Way, Subwoofer Power: 10 Watt
New Bose 201 Direct/Reflecting Speaker System - Black align=baseline src=http://www.frontrowelectronics.com/fri/bose_badge.gif Click for Verification...
speaker system bookshelf speakers,Direct Reflecting technology,Stereo Targeting tweeter
Crutchfield