Stokke Sleepi Crib Reviews

Stokke Sleepi Crib

Stokke Sleepi Crib - Love it but Hate it more

Oct 8, 2009 (Updated Apr 25, 2010)

Pros:Looks of the crib, nothing more.

Cons:Stokke treats customers badly despite overcharging them for their ikea-esque furniture.

The Bottom Line: If you know you're being overcharged for a beautiful crib by a company that will treat you badly, go ahead.

My husband and I chose the Stokke Sleepi crib because of its simple, clean looks and the features that they advertise as being "convertible". Well, its convertible alright but even after spending a $1,000 on the crib, Stokke does everything possible to charge you an arm and a leg for the conversion.

First of all, PLEASE BEWARE, if you have an infant or a newborn, DO NOT, purchase the Sleepi crib separately. Unless you buy the entire Sleepi crib and bassinet set together, you'll go through a nightmare dealing with it as we did.

Even though they advertise it as being "convertible" from the Sleepi Bassinet to the Sleepi Crib, the "mini conversion kit" that you need to switch between the bassinet and the crib, is not sold separately! Stokke will not sell this "mini conversion kit" despite knowing that parents who purchased their sleepi crib are being screwed. In short, if you don't buy the entire sleepi system at once (which includes the bassinet, the crib, and the elusive mini conversion kit) and choose to order just the Sleepi crib, only to find out that its incredibly big and that you want your infant to sleep in the bassinet, there is absolutely no way to do this. Stokke will not sell the mini conversion kit to consumers (because they don't profit from them and in turn, their refusal to sell this makes people buy the entire set instead).  In order to turn your crib into a  bassinet, you have to return the crib to whichever company you bought it from and have to purchase the entire sleepi crib bassinet set. It is not possible otherwise. They will not sell the mini conversion kit to anyone, as they told me, "it only comes in the sleepi set, there's nothing we can do" pfft. Sure, there is. Just sell the mini conversion kit separately as you do for the Junior conversion kit. (The Junior conversion kit turns the crib into the bed)

It's an undeniably beautiful crib but not worth the hassle. You would think that paying them that much money would make them treat you half decently, but sadly, the company is like a pretentious ikea.

Even though the crib already costs $1,000, when you assemble it, you will notice the unnecessary little "modfications" that have been made, just so that that you will need to buy additional items from them. Also, the mattress for the bassinet is a joke. Babies are small but the mattress should definitely be deeper than a 1/4" in depth...its almost tantamount to the baby sleeping directly on the wooden platform

Take Care when choosing where to purchase your crib:
If you are going to buy this crib, when you google it to see compare the prices from the different companies, please make sure that the return policy and especially the restocking fee is made clear. I ordered this from a company online that offered it for one of the lowest prices but I wound up paying later on. Cymax does not have a clear return policy and they say the restocking fee is left up to the manufacturer (Stokke). The restocking fee on this was over $200 US not including shipping fees.

Accessories for the Stokke Crib:
Yes, since the mattress is oval, it is difficult to locate sheets and other bedding for this crib.
I was unable to find sheets from another manufacturer and had no choice but to purchase the ones from stokke. The Stokke bedsheet for the crib cost me around $50 and the material is very flimsy. I scoured the Internet for sheets from another company that would work for the oval crib...but no luck. The Stokke "waterproof mattress pad" also cost around $50 at BuyBuyBaby and the size of it is about 2" short border wise of covering the mattress. So the mattress pad shifts around underneath the bedsheets. The shifting is very visible since the sheets are so thin. I bought both mattress pad and sheets in white. As for the bumpers, I bought one from Carter's that worked...well.. its about 4 feet longer than the crib but I just wound that extra material around. The Carter's bumper guard is fluffier and softer than the Stokke bumper guard.

I did notice at BuyBuyBaby that if you want to buy sheets for the Stokke crib, they have Stokke designer sets (which include mattress pads, sheets that have designs, a stokke bumper guard - but the price tag was somewhere around $320. If you don't buy the Stokke designer sheet set bundle - the only colors you have available are pink, blue, and white.
The sides of the crib do NOT go down for easy access to the baby. When your child is a couple months old and you have to lower the mattress setting, trying to place a sleeping child into the crib wakes them up (my kid is a heavy sleeper by the way). It's a bit awkward to reach down as low as your arms will allow to place the baby in the crib and still have them wake up in the end because their bodies still need to go down even lower. I did have the thought to myself that it really would be great if one of the sides did go down. When you convert the crib to the Junior bed, I think that you do/have to remove one of the side paneling.

I also bought the Stokke Canopy when I purchased the crib. Somehow, when the screws are tightened for this - its still very loose. We had to fold up some cardboard and squeeze it in between the rod and the screw to stabilize the canopy rod.

One thing, I appreciate about the crib is that the wheels on the crib allow it to be rolled around the house.

If anyone has any other questions, please feel free to ask me!

A lovely beechwood crib grows in sync with your little one to form a comforting, seamless sleep environment for those first years. Beginning as a roll...