Summit CP171SS 12 cu. ft. Commercial Refrigerator Reviews

Summit CP171SS 12 cu. ft. Commercial Refrigerator

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Good for compact living, short on features

Mar 24, 2008

Pros:Super space saver, cuts electric usage, nice distributors, easy to clean, nice exterior design.

Cons:Bad manual, small fridge space, plastic accessories, possible service issues, manual defrost.

The Bottom Line: Good pick for smaller spaces and for eco-friendly consumers.

After reading many mixed opinions about this fridge, but finding myself sucked in by the energy-saver claims and suitable size for city dwellers, I bought it at PC Richards, a NYC chain appliance store, with an extended warranty for in-house repairs or replacement.

Like other reviewers, I found it makes a 'different' noise than fridges, but MUCH quieter than I had anticipated. It sounds like a watery fizzle, as opposed to the typical humming of fridges elsewhere. The size is fantastic, and from what I have seen it is cheap to run - with two computers, a TV, and fridge my two-bedroom apt. pays $26 per month in electric. So that felt good. I also just cleaned it, and it's a cinch to take stuff out, everything fits in the sink and takes a good scrub nicely.

The downfalls for me where aesthetics basically. The outside is nice- it fits my kitchen without feeling crowded, so yay! Everyone seems very impressed so the design must be nice, too.

But the interior is all plastic, except the shelving units that laterally divide the fridge portion up, so I was a wee bit aghast about that after having paid $1100 or something like that.

The freezer drawers and produce drawers are especially chintzy-feeling. The light is a bit weak, and the magnetic strip on the outer doors is so pathetic that if you have a tiny plastic sour cream container that's too far out on a shelf, it won't shut. If you have kids, this might be a serious liability, because a door open on a low-energy fridge like this may mean everything is soaked the next day.

The manual comes from the real manufacturer, Vestfrost. It is pretty lame. Though the fridge needs some degree of maintenance in a regular way, the manual is skimpy so as to be translated in ten languages. Luckily, that's where the U.S. distributor, Summit, comes in. For NYC residents, it is in nearby Bronx, and the sales people are really in tune with the product's specifics and are quick to give you the service/repair number to have a repairman visit. If you are in Kentucky, this might be more challenging.

They sent me a teensy missing screw I needed for a handle without making me do a wild goose chase over it. I liked that.

Other downfalls: Lack of interior space. The planning could have been better on that end, but I think they tried to give the user flexibility by making everything removable. Well, that's nice, but it still seems like nothing fits in the fridge. Way too much freezer for me.

Also, there's something called a manual defrost. It looks ridiculously easy, but is worth considering.

Definitely recommend for fanatical environmentalists, or even fringe-ones like me, who aren't too worried about the small picture stuff.

Summit Cp36bk 3.0 Cu.ft Compact 19 Wide 2-door Refrigerator / Freezer In Black

Summit Cp36bk 3.0 Cu.ft Compact 19 Wide 2-door Refrigerator / Freezer In Black

KEVCOHOLDINGS IS PROUD TO BE AUTHORIZED DEALERS OF SUMMIT APPLIANCES . BUY FROM A TRUSTED SOURCE!Summit CP36BK 3.0 Cu.ft Compact 19 Wide 2-Door Refrig...
Summit Appliance Commercial 13 cu. ft. Glass Door All-Refrigerator in White SCR1300

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. SUMMIT's commercially approved beverage merchandisers are designed for durable service, convenient use, and att...
Home Depot

Summit CP133 9.5 cu. ft. 2 Door Refrigerator Freezer with Cycle Defrost CP133

Summit CP133 9.5 cu. ft. 2 Door Refrigerator Freezer with Cycle Defrost CP133

SUMMIT's thinline series of refrigeratorfreezers feature quality, efficiency, and value in slim twodoor models. The CP133 is ideally sized at just und...
HomeClick

Summit Commercial SCR1300 24 Freestanding Beverage Center 13.0 cu. ft. Capacity, White

CP36W 19 3.0 cu. ft. Compact Refrigerator with Zero Degree Freezer  Adjustable Shelves

CP36W 19 3.0 cu. ft. Compact Refrigerator with Zero Degree Freezer Adjustable Shelves

SUMMIT brings quality and efficiency to compact household cooling with the two-door ENERGY STAR qualified CP36W refrigerator freezer
AppliancesConnection

Summit CP171W 12.0 cu. ft. Bottom Freezer Refrigerator in White with Cycle Defrost CP171W

Deluxe from the inside out,SUMMIT CP171 series of refrigerators with bottom freezers use innovative technology for energy efficient cooling in a conve...
HomeClick

Summit Cp35b 2.9 Cu.ft Compact 19 Wide 2-door Refrigerator / Freezer In Black

Summit Cp35b 2.9 Cu.ft Compact 19 Wide 2-door Refrigerator / Freezer In Black

KEVCOHOLDINGS IS PROUD TO BE AUTHORIZED DEALERS OF SUMMIT APPLIANCES . BUY FROM A TRUSTED SOURCE!Summit CP35B 2.9 Cu.ft Compact 19 Wide 2-Door Refrige...
Summit Appliance 6 cu. ft. Mini Refrigerator in White CT70

Summit Appliance 6 cu. ft. Mini Refrigerator in White CT70

Shop for Appliances at The Home Depot. Solid construction meets great value in SUMMIT's perfectly sized CT70 refrigerator-freezer. This compact unit c...
Home Depot

Summit Ffar10locker 10 Cu.ft Medical Refrigerator W/ 9 Locking Compartments

Summit Ffar10locker 10 Cu.ft Medical Refrigerator W/ 9 Locking Compartments

KEVCOHOLDINGS IS PROUD TO BE AUTHORIZED DEALERS OF SUMMIT APPLIANCES . BUY FROM A TRUSTED SOURCE!Summit FFAR10LOCKER 10 Cu.ft Medical Refrigerator W/ ...