Tappan TGF657 Gas Range

Epinions Product Rating: Disappointing

Tappan Gas Range: It's a Money Pit

Aug 8, 2009 (Updated Aug 24, 2009)
  • User Rating: OK

Pros:Nice features. Comes in a nice selection of colors.

Cons:Too many parts are breaking down and replacement parts are not cheap.

The Bottom Line: Had the stove lasted more than five years, I would have recommended it, but having three parts wear out within a week's time has made me regret my choice.

I bought my Tappan TGF657 range five years ago and loved it at first. Handy features include:

-Large oven capacity with two racks
-Simmer and power burners
-Sealed burners for easy clean up
-Self cleaning oven (though we've never used it due to the cost of propane)
-Electronic ignition on oven and burners
-Electronic timers and oven settings
-Broiler is in over so you get storage under the stove

My biggest complaint up until this week has been the difficultly getting the cooktop clean. We bought our stove in black and around the sealed burners the paint/finish has scorched. All the scrubbing in the world doesn't get rid of the heat/burn marks.

We did buy the five year extended warranty and never had to make a claim. The warranty ended last month and all the sudden the stove is falling apart.

Our first issue sprang from a gas leak a week ago. We called a local appliance repair and they said the regulator had a slow leak, so we bought the part ($67 plus shipping), had our gas guy replace it ($100), and then he found another slow leak with the safety valve ($127.) The safety valve came yesterday morning and he walked my husband through the replacement to save us money in the future. The part was installed, the gas guy did a check for gas leaks and found nothing. An hour later, I smelled gas again and sure enough there is now another leak that our gas guy believes is the ignitor ($64), but he has to come back out and make sure.

Meanwhile, the question is on the table, we've already sunk $300 into this stove. We could have had a new one at this point, though not as fancy. We've already had to borrow money from my parents to pay for the last round of repairs and I'm just not sure it's worth sinking money into a stove where something else is going wrong.

I honestly wouldn't recommend this Tappan stove. While it was great for a few years, having so many things go wrong with it five years after having it installed, I have to start questioning why they aren't building stoves to last.

UPDATE:

Now that the gas pressure regulator, ignitor and safety valve have been replaced, the stove worked beautifully for four hours and then developed another leak. We're currently working on getting together the money to have the repair guy out again to find out where this new leak is occuring. We're $300 into repairs and still counting!

Tappan 2.9 cu. ft. 24 Gas Range White

Tappan 2.9 cu. ft. 24 Gas Range White

The Tappan 24-inch freestanding gas range with electronic ignition. The lift-off cooktop removes for easy cleaning.