-17%

Targus PAUK10U A0126554 Wired Keyboard

+$9.95 shipping Office Depot

Quit Waisting Time on that Stupid Number Line

Aug 1, 2009

Pros:Comfortable, saves a lot of time, keys just like standard laptop keys.

Cons:Can be used on a Mac, but isn't made for that.

The Bottom Line: A really nice little tool if you need to use numbers very often on your laptop.

I love my laptop. I really do. But in my house it's my job to balance the checkbook, do the taxes, and anything else that has to do with our finances, and using the numbers that are at the top of a laptop keyboard for this purpose is a giant pain. I didn't even know there was a solution - such is my knowledge of computer equipment - until my husband one day came home with this Targus Keypad as a little gift for me.

What is It?
The Targus Ultra Mini USB Keypad is about 5 inches by 3 inches and has all the keys that a standard desktop computer keyboard has. It's a pretty little device that is shiny silver with darker gray keys. It plugs into your computer's USB port(s) from a 3 foot long cable, and - as a bonus - has two USB ports of it's own along the top so you can plug in additional accessories. There's a green light on the top left corner so you can tell when it's plugged in.

How To Use
I'm no computer expert. I have to leave the complicated stuff to my husband, so this device has to be easy for me to get use out of. All you do is plug it into one of your USB ports and start using it. When I plug it into my computer, I usually have to wait several seconds for my computer to "recognize" it, but - even the first time - you don't have to install it or anything else intimidating. Just plug it in, wait a few seconds, and you're good to go.

Ultra Mini?
I don't know why this keypad is called "Ultra Mini," but don't worry, the keys on this are exactly like the other keys on your laptop (yes, the keys are laptop like, not desktop like). They are standard sized with standard spacing, so you won't have trouble getting used to the feel of this. I'm a pretty good 10-key typist, and there has been no learning curve on this device.

Use With A Mac?
I'm a PC user, but my husband is a Mac fanatic. This device is not exactly made for Mac, but my husband uses it occasionally on his Mac laptops (he has several) anyway. He says it works just fine, but the first time he plugs it in to a computer it does not recognize it right away and he has to do some messing with it. I have no idea what that means, but he assures me it can be used with a Mac, you just have to "know what you're doing." The two models he's used it just fine with are the PowerBook G4 Aluminum and the MacBook Pro.

Final Thoughts
I am so glad to have this little tool. Using the number line at the top of the laptop keyboard is very slow compared to using a keypad like this. It saves me a lot of time and is a lot more ergonomic.

The Ultra Mini USB Keypad is ideal for spreadsheet, accounting and financial applications that require fast and accurate entry of numeric data. The 19...
Office Depot

Only thick at its highest point, this compact and slim numeric keypad featuring full-size keys makes touch-typing a synch for accountants and road w...
Targus Numeric Keypad with 2 USB ports.5.25 x 3 1/2 apx physical size.19 full size keys including Num Lock, Backspace and 000 Keys.Two extra USB 1.1 p...