TRENDnet  TE100 (TE100S8P) 8-Ports External Switch Reviews

TRENDnet TE100 (TE100S8P) 8-Ports External Switch

Small, Lightweight, Simple To Use, Inexpensive Switch

Jan 17, 2008

• Ease of Installation:

Pros:Half the price of big name brands, simple to use

Cons:Very lightweight, no free Ethernet cables

The Bottom Line: If you've been bit by the Big Name Brands poor quality, give this lesser known brand a shot... I did & I'm glad I did!

TRENDnet TE 100-S8 8 Port Ethernet Switch

Having recently given up on Linksys products and having great success with TRENDnet’s cable/dsl router (see my other review) I decided to give TRENDnet a shot when I decided to add an additional switch to my home network.

I actually don’t need all of the 8 ports this switch offers, but the price of this 8 port switch was actually cheaper than TRENDnet’s 5 port switch. I picked mine up online for $15.00 & free shipping; the 5 port version was $19.99 plus $4.99 shipping.
In my application, I’m splitting my internet connection between several rooms in the house & the 4 ports on my router aren’t quite enough.

This switch could also be used in a file sharing or printer sharing network if you happen to need those functions. I’m not using mine for those purposes, so I can’t comment on how well it would work.

DESIGN:
This switch, like their router, is small and lightweight & a nice blue color.

The switch measures in at about 6 inches long by 4 ˝ inches deep by 1 ˝ inch tall, which is exactly the same size as the TRENDnet router.
If you have one of each (as I do) you could easily stack one on top of the other. However, I am limited on desktop real estate, so I made a cradle from MDF so that I can stand them on their side to take up less room. My cradle snugly holds each device on one end and adds some weight, lessening the chance of having them slide off the end of the desk due to the cables pulling on the devices.

On the front, you have 9 Green LED’s, 1 for power & the other 8 indicate which ports you have connected.
When you have activity on a device connected to a port, the LED of that port blinks to let you know you have activity.
On the back, you have 8 Ethernet ports and an outlet for the power adapter.

As I mentioned earlier, the switch (as well as their router) is pretty lightweight & if I had left it setting on the desk alone, the weight of the cables would probably have pulled the switch half way off my desk.

FUNCTION:
Setup couldn’t be easier
1. Take it out of the box
2. Plug in an Ethernet cable from my router into port #1
3. Connect an Ethernet cable into port #8 for one PC
4. Plug in the power adapter
5. Turn on PC
6. Get online
7. Plug in any additional Ethernet cables into open ports as needed.
It actually takes longer to crawl under my desk, find an open outlet in a power strip, fish the power cable up to the top of my desk & plug it in than it does to get this switch set up… why? There is really NO setup to do. There’s no configuration in the switch, there’s no jumpers, no switches to flip, just plug it in & go.
Now if you are setting up an intranet network or printer sharing, you’ll have to do some configurations in the OS, but all you need to do to the switch is plug in the cables.

The one thing I’ve noticed with all of my Ethernet switches is that the port directly next to the one the cable from my router is connected to, will not work. If I move the cable down just one port, everything works fine. So, I end up with a 6 port switch instead of 8 ports. This isn’t a big deal, but it’s something I’ve learned to deal with. It has to do with the uplink when using the switch to split my internet connection, not a defect with the switch.
If you were to use this switch for file or printer sharing, or to network computers together in an intranet (inside network of connected computers, not connected to the internet), you shouldn’t have this issue as the configuration will be different.

As for the speed of connection… one of the PC’s I have connected to this switch actually has a faster internet connection speed than it did when connected using a Linksys switch. I’m not sure exactly how this worked out, but I’m not complaining about my new found speed.

WARRANTY:
Like their Broadband router, this switch features a 5 year warranty. Many other brands only offer a 1 year warranty.
I have emailed their tech support with a question on their router & finally received a short, scripted reply about 5 days later.
I had called their tech support 800#, but after 20 minutes or so on hold, I figured out the issue on my own. I never did connect with a human operator. It could have been the time of day, or they might only have one tech rep in wherever they outsource their service to.

Needless to say, the price is cheap enough that I can buy two of these and have money left over verses buying a similar switch from Linksys (or many other name brands).

I now have more than enough ports (for now) to share my internet connection with my various computers throughout the house.

The only issues I have are that the switch is very lightweight & it didn’t come with any Ethernet cables.

Driver Availability: Don''t Know

Trendnet Te100 (te100s5) 5-ports External Switch (new)

Trendnet Te100 (te100s5) 5-ports External Switch (new)

TE100-S5 is an Auto-MDIX switch designed specifically to boost network performance by eliminating network congestions and unnecessary network traffics...

TRENDNET TE100-S8 8-PORT 10/100 MINI SWITCH

TRENDNET TE100-S8 8-PORT 10/100 MINI SWITCH

TE100-S8 is an Auto-MDIX switch designed specifically to boost network performance by eliminating network congestions and unnecessary network traffics...
Trendnet Te100-s50g 5-port 10/100 Mbps Greennet Ethernet Switch

Trendnet Te100-s50g 5-port 10/100 Mbps Greennet Ethernet Switch

The compact 5-Port 10/100Mbps GREENnet Switch TE100-S50g provides improved bandwidth performance, ease of use and reliability, all while reducing powe...

TRENDnet TE100-S80g 8-Port 10/100Mbps Green Switch

TRENDnet TE100-S80g 8-Port 10/100Mbps Green Switch

The compact 8-Port 10/100Mbps GREENnet Switch (model TE100-S80g) provides improved bandwidth performance, ease of use and reliability, all while reduc...

TRENDnet TE100-S5 5-Port 10/100 Mini Switch