Uniden PC68XL CB Review

Sep 2, 2009

Pros:Good, proven performer.  Very good quality radio.

Cons:Dynamic squelch control does not always quiet the radio.

The Bottom Line: Good CB, with all the basic functions and a few more advanced ones.  Does well as designed.

This radio has been a good performer for over 10 years now.

It has all the functions a legal CB operator needs.  While an old design, it is still in production.

Functions include:

Front microphone jack
Volume
Squelch to quiet radio between signals.
RF gain
Microphone Gain
ANL/Noise blank on/off
CB/PA
"Dynamic Squelch Control" On/Off
Full legal 4 watt output.

This radio follows the "old style" design.  No sleek lines as the newer models have.  It is a classic style radio.

The most unique feature is the "Dynamic Squelch Control"  This control automatically quiets the radio when there is no signal.  It is similar to the simple manual squelch knob on the radio; but instead varies automatically with the use on the channel, noise, etc.

This radio has an RF gain to reduce the sensitivity of the receiver.

The mic gain control is used when using an aftermarket microphone to properly adjust your voice to the radio.  Most times at can be kept at full level, if using the stock microphone.

-----

When using this radio, I've always got good signal reports.  My transmit ranges vary with my antenna, the noise on the channels, and other conditions.  It was not uncommon for 8 mile mobile to mobile communications reliably at night on a quiet channel.

I have found the Dynamic Squelch to work okay most of the time.  On a real noisy day, it sometimes will not keep the channel quiet.  On an average day, it works fine.  Use it when it works, otherwise, the normal squelch control is there.

Received audio is loud enough, thanks to a fairly large bottom, mounted speaker.  I've never had a problem hearing it.

All in all a good radio that does what it was designed to do.  For a CB, this is enough.