Vapor Systems TR-5 - Silver - Canister Cleaner Reviews

Vapor Systems TR-5 - Silver - Canister Cleaner

Totally Useless

May 5, 2007 (Updated May 6, 2007)
  • User Rating: Disappointing

Pros:- Cheap, cheap, cheap!

Cons:- Doesn't work
- Horrifying customer service
- Did I mention the bad customer service?

The Bottom Line: Do not buy -- it will clean nothing, then leave a wet mess behind and you'll waste your time and precious energy dealing with bad customer service.

With a little one running around, I had wanted a steam cleaner to reduce the amount of chemical cleaners used around the house. I was considering the WhiteWing brand but it was made of plastic. I hate when things break, so I wanted a cleaner with a metal body. But most of the metal ones I found were well over $1000 in price. While contemplating the pros and cons of such a major purchase, by chance, I found a competitor brand on Amazon by Vapor Clean Products. After browsing their website I found a metal steam cleaner, supposedly commercial grade, for $400.

Now, there is an excessive number of positive, effusive reviews on Vapor Clean Products's website. Plus, I figure if the machine's good enough for commercial use, then it's good enough for my 2-year old house. What the heck.

Well, the machine couldn't even handle a grease spot that I was able to subsequently rub out with Soft Scrub. It was useless on my stove (which again is fairly new and not too demanding) and anything that required any elbow grease.

I think it might be OK as a steam iron for your curtains or something. But then after a few weeks, it did break down completely so I guess it's really not good for much except taking up space in your house and impressing your guests with a space-age looking contraption.

As a side note, TR5 is Italian made and the instruction manual is nearly impossible to understand. It's written as though an Italian high-schooler learning English wrote it with the aid of a translation dictionary. Also, this machine is supposed to produce dry steam. It definitely does not, and in fact, will leave puddles behind. I had to use a lot of towels to wipe up after "cleaning." So that was a pain, too. But, apparently, that's the way it's supposed to be when Vapor Clean Products means "dry" steam.

I had terrible time getting Vapor Clean Products to repair or replace the product under their 30-day guarantee. The fact that the machine couldn't clean anything didn't matter to them. When I first called, the receptionist said, "I borrowed one to clean my oven after thanksgiving and everything just melted off." I suggested maybe she had used a good machine and perhaps I had a defective one and that's why it couldn't even clean my kitchen sink forget an oven after a turkey roast.

Because the company insisted so vehemently that the machine was fine, I actually went out and bought a thermometer and a pressure gauge to see if the steam from the machine was as hot and as pressurized as the brochure claimed. Surprise -- it wasn't. But they didn't care about that either. If there's steam coming out, then it was fine in their book. Who cares that I got more cleaning out of a dollop of Soft Scrub than I did out of this $400 gadget.

I found out later that others have also had trouble getting repairs under warranty from Vapor Clean Products. Note to self -- do call the Attorney General's Office and the Better Business Bureau even if a website has a billion positive reviews all posted by the merchant.

Maybe another, more expensive steam cleaner would really be a neat cleaning tool. This one definitely is not and in fact, will make more work for you.

Amount Paid (US$): $400

New Mens Vapor TR Max Black running-shoes US 9.5 dmg box

New Mens Vapor TR Max Black running-shoes US 9.5 dmg box

New Nike Mens Vapor TR Max Black running-shoes US 9.5 dmg box
Martin Tr1 String & Y Cable By Vapor Trail

Martin Tr1 String & Y Cable By Vapor Trail

NEW String and Y Cable For Martin TR1 Original Colors FREE SHIPPING check my auctions for more strings VaporTrail If you are looking for the best stri...

Scarpa Vapor V Rock Shoes - Men's

The Scarpa Vapor V rock shoes offer the traction and fit you need for all-day climbs, and their rip-and-stick fit system makes it convenient to throw ...
REI

Scarpa Vapor V Climbing Shoe - Men's-37.5-Lite Orange

Scarpa Vapor V Climbing Shoe - Men's-37.5-Lite Orange

Scarpa's Vapor V Climbing Shoe has the same power and technicality as their Vapor but with dual powerstraps for quick on/off.
CampSaver.com

Body Glove Vapor 3 Discount Sunglasses

Body Glove Vapor 3 Discount Sunglasses

The Body Glove® Vapor 3 polarized sunglasses are ideal for water sports enthusiasts with a true sense of adventure! Designed with scratch-resistant...
DiscountGlasses.com

Nike Zoom Vapor 9 Tour iD Men's Tennis Shoe Size 10 (White)

Nike Zoom Vapor 9 Tour iD Men's Tennis Shoe Size 10 (White)

Nike Zoom Vapor 9 Id Tennis Shoe FIRM, FLEXIBLE FIT. MADE YOUR WAY. A Collaboration Between Roger Federer and Renowned Nike Designer Tinker Hatfield, ...
Nike.com

JL Audio TR650-CSi  6-3/4 2-way Component System

JL Audio TR650-CSi 6-3/4 2-way Component System

6-3/4 2-way Component System mica-filled polypropylene woofer with butyl rubber surround, 1/2 textile dome tweeter, 10-50 watts RMS power range
Crutchfield