Weber Q - Not Just for Tailgating!

Oct 7, 2006

Pros:Inexpensive, portable, full-size grilling surface, makes some great meals!

Cons:Have to clean the inside from time to time

The Bottom Line: This is a great grill for tailgaters and homeowners alike. It's so easy to use and clean, get ready to start grilling several times a week!

When I got my Weber Q propane grill a few years ago, I was intrigued by the fact that it was basically a full-size grill which I could put in the trunk and take to a game or picnic. In fact, the Weber Q is compact in height and has two large handles on either side which make it easy to set down in and lift out of a trunk. This grill is also designed to use the smaller, camping-size propane cylinders. For the first year or so that I had this grill, I was a student living alone in an apartment, and then after that I lived in an apartment complex which had a nice community grill near my front door, so I had little occasion to use my Weber Q.

This past February, however, my fiancee and I bought a home. For the first time, I would really have occasion to use my own grill for daily food preparation, and I wondered whether my "portable" Weber Q would be up to the task. Determined to try, I went to http://www.homedepot.com and bought the custom Weber rolling stand, grill cover, and adapter hose for the Weber Q, along with a full-size propane cylinder...and the rest is history.

If there's any grilling task that the Weber Q can't handle with ease, I'm not sure what it is. I've grilled steaks, burgers, hot dogs, chicken breasts, barbecued chicken, fish, and even shrimp on my Weber Q, and nearly everything turns out wonderful nearly all the time. The propane heating element provides fairly even heating at all but the highest temperatures, and the cast-iron grill surface is easy to clean and food doesn't stick to it as long as you use a little cooking spray and keep the temperature at a reasonable level. The grill heats up quickly and maintains a constant temperature throughout.

It's important to understand that the Weber Q is NOT a miniature or novelty grill. The actual grilling surface is just as big as many full-size grills; the place where it saves you space is height, enabling it to fit into a reasonably-sized car trunk. You could easily fit four decent-sized steaks, 8 hot dogs, and 20 shrimp on this grill at once (and I have done so!). Unless you're grilling for 50, I don't think you'll run out of room for your food on this grill.

The only real drawback to the Weber Q is something which I believe is pretty common to any propane grill -- the juices and sauces that drip through the slots in the grill end up inside the grill and on the ground below (unless you have a drip pan). Contrast to a charcoal grill, where the drippings generally just burn off. This is not big deal, though; just remove the grill surface and spray out the inside of the grille every now and then.

I normally like to write a longer review than this, but I'm really not sure what else to say about the Weber Q. The bottom line is that it's not just a great portable grill; it's also great for grilling at home.