Linksys WSB24

Finally, long-range wireless ethernet!

Jun 7, 2003

• Ease of Installation:

Pros:Simple, no software-required installation, amazing range

Cons:You may get fired for working outside of the office

The Bottom Line: If your wireless range is low downstairs, or you can't use your wireless device outside, you need this product!

When I was "forced" to purchase a Linksys WAP11 (see my review here!), I figured that I might as well pick up the matching signal booster. I've always wondered when a company would offer a high-gain antenna that could be purchased at the local electronics store. Well, now Linksys has finally done it with their WSB24!

One thing I like about Linksys products is that they stack together nicely. The WSB24 is no exception, and it fit very nicely under my WAP11. I did secure the two together with 4 zip ties, though. =)

Installation was really simple. I removed the antennas from the WAP11 and screwed them into the WSB24. I then took the two included cables and connected one end to the WSB24, and the other end to where the antenna used to be on the WAP11. Plug the unit into a nearby outlet, and that's it!

Initial testing was very promising. With the WAP11 alone, I could use my laptop anywhere inside of our office (a 12,000 sqft. building with few obstructions), but as soon as I stepped outside my signal would completely disappear. After adding the WSB24, not only could I maintain a 100% signal indoors, I could use my laptop outside of the building now! I walked about 500ft. from our building, and still had a 30% signal. I must have looked like a freak, but it was pretty cool sitting on the sidewalk and being able to surf the web. =)

So what are the downsides of this product? None, as far as I can tell! How can you find anything wrong with a product that is truly plug and play, and lets you work outside?

I'm planning on trying to attach this booster to other access points. I have a D-Link DI-614+ at home, and am curious to see if it'll work. I'll post updates here when I have more information!

Driver Availability: Don't Know

Linksys SE2800 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch Network Switches

Linksys SE2800 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch Network Switches

Linksys SE2800 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch. Linksys SE2800 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch
Linksys Official Store

Linksys Se1500 5-port Fast Ethernet Switch

Linksys Se1500 5-port Fast Ethernet Switch

The Linksys SE1500 Ethernet switch is a wired 5-port switch meant for connecting five devices simultaneously. The Linksys Ethernet switch offers five ...

Linksys EA2700 Wireless Router

Linksys EA2700 Wireless Router

Create a powerful wireless network with the Linksys EA2700 Wireless Router. Built with leading 802.11n technology, the Linksys WiFi router generates a...

Linksys X2000 N Wireless Modem or Router X2000A

Linksys X2000 N Wireless Modem or Router X2000A

Shop for Electrical at The Home Depot. Built-in DSL modem directly connects you to the internet wirelessly -no separate DSL modem required. the Linksy...
Home Depot

Linksys SE1500 5-Port Fast Ethernet Switch Network Switches

Linksys SE1500 5-Port Fast Ethernet Switch Network Switches

Linksys SE1500 5-Port Fast Ethernet Switch. Linksys SE1500 5-Port Fast Ethernet Switch
Linksys Official Store

LINKSYS EA2700-NP ROUTER SMART WIFI N600 5GHZ
Linksys X2000-NP X2000 - wireless router - DSL - 802.11b/g/n - desktop  wall-mountable

Linksys X2000-NP X2000 - wireless router - DSL - 802.11b/g/n - desktop wall-mountable

Linksys X2000 - Wireless router - DSL - 3-port switch - 802.11b/g/n - wall-mountable
MacMall

PCM

Linksys AC1750 Wireless Router - Black (EA6500)

Linksys AC1750 Wireless Router - Black (EA6500)

Find network routers, hubs and switches at Target.com! Linksys ac1750 wireless router - black (ea6500)

Linksys - X2000 Wireless-N ADSL2+ Modem Router, 2.4GHz Frequency Range, Networking

Linksys X2000 Wireless-N ADSL2+ Modem Router, 2.4GHz Frequency Range The X2000 Wireless-N ADSL2+ Modem Router from Linksys is a stellar simple way to ...
Adorama