Yamaha NS-555 Main / Stereo Speakers Reviews

Yamaha NS-555 Main / Stereo Speakers

6 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Excellent

Fantastic speakers

Jun 14, 2008 (Updated Jun 16, 2008)

Pros:Extremely satisfying speakers. Great soundstage and very dynamic. Well balanced neutral speakers. Great imaging.

Cons:(Just a nitpick) sensitivity is low at 88db

The Bottom Line: If you are looking for a set of speakers for 2 channel music, don't overlook these gems. They are literally unbeatable at $300 a pair.

Extremely satisfying speakers. Great soundstage and very dynamic. Well balanced neutral speakers. Great imaging. Very solidly built cabinets with good internal bracing.

Frequency Response - 35 Hz - 35 kHz

3-Way Bass Reflex Design (Rear ported)

Woofers - Dual (2) 6-1/2" PMD Cone

Midrange Driver - 5" Cone With Waveguide Horn

Tweeters - 1" Aluminum Dome With Waveguide Horn

Sensitivity - 88 dB/2.83 V/1 m

Impedance - 6 Ohms

Power handling (continuous /peak) - 100W / 250W

Dimensions (W x H x D) - 8-3/4" x 38-9/16" x 13-9/16"

I have read many reviews on these speakers and have noted that a few people have commented that the NS 555 lack Bass response. They must have severe requirements for bass since the NS 555 certainly do not lack in this regard.

In all likelihood, they do not have them set up properly and/or are using inadequate amplification.

Playing a 35hz sine wave using a tone generator there is obvious usable output at 35hz. (tone controls/EQ set flat and no loudness contour/bass enhancement engaged)

These are not very efficient speakers at 88db. You need a good true 50 WPC at a minimum to drive them. Additionally, you must position speakers properly in an appropriate environment. (Any/all speakers)

My listening room is 11x14 with 8 foot ceilings. With the rear of the 555's positioned about 18" from the wall and 24" from the side walls with a seating position about 24" from the rooms back wall the bass is nothing short of incredible when called upon to "thump".

Bela Flecks "flight of the cosmic hippo" is literally jaw dropping.

On Royal Crown Revue's "Mugzy's Move" CD, The upright bass is full and articulate. The horn section is crisp and smooth.

Rock and roll of any flavor is fantastic.

I believe I have adequately portrayed the NS 555's bass response here... Let's not forget the Midbass and higher registers. The highs and midrange are well balanced and playback both horns, and the human voice quite well without being harsh at higher volumes.

Midbass "punchiness" is great as well. These really are well balanced speakers with nice "unbloated", Punchy bass that goes pretty deep.

These speakers are more than capable of showing any inadequacies in a system. If these speakers are replacing lower quality speakers expect to hear instruments and detail in your favorite recordings that you never noticed before. Also be prepared to discover the difference between well recorded and poorly recorded music.

Powered by a 1984 vintage Pioneer SA 1050 Integrated amp (100WPC), with a good quality CD player as a source, they simply perform beyond what their asking price would imply.

Set them up properly, feed them quality recordings,from a quality source device with CLEAN power and they are fantastic speakers. And I concur with others that they are aesthetically elegant with their lustrous piano black finish.

I got my NS 555's at Best Buy for $99 each (open Box) One of the best speaker deals I have made.

Up for sale is one High Performance Speaker System Designed for Home Theater . Item is brand new in the box never been opened.