Pride and Prejudice (Mini-Series) (DVD, 2006, 3-Disc Set, 10th Anniversary Limited Collector's Edition) Reviews

The Ultimate Love Hate Relationship

Apr 25, 2006

Pros:brilliant story and a great cast

Cons:a little long (but worth every minute)

The Bottom Line: It's a wonderful adaptation of Jane Austen's classic.

I was pulling an all-nighter with some of my friends and one of them insisted on watching BBCs Pride and Prejudice. Since it was an all nighter, it seemed like the best time to watch the 5 hour movie. I did not expect to love it as much as I did. I've watched it a few times since then (not always during an all-nighter) and I believe that it is worth every minute. I enjoy it every time. I've made my family and a few of my other friends watch it and they all love it.

The Plot

The story of Pride and Prejudice deals with the 5 Bennett sisters. Jane (played by Susannah Harker), the eldest, is beautiful, sweet and somewhat naive. Our heroine is the second eldest, Elizabeth (played by Jennifer Ehle), and she is lively, rebellious and witty. Mary, Kitty, and Lydia are the three youngest. Since their are no sons, when the father dies the estate will go to another (Mr. Collins). This is why Mrs. Bennett is determined to find her daughters a husband.

When Charles Bingley comes to town it causes quite an uproar. He is worth 5 thousand a year and Mrs. Bennett wants him for one of her daughters. Luckily for her, he becomes infatuated by Jane. He brings along with him his friend Mr. Darcy (played by Colin Firth). He is an even bigger catch but much too proud. Slowly we see Mr. Darcy fall in love with Elizabeth, despite how much he doesn't want to. He asks her hand in marriage which she refuses, believing that the things she has heard about him are true. The story unfolds with Elizabeth learning that she shouldn't always believe everything that you hear and finally sees how wonderful Mr. Darcy really is.

Cast

Jennifer Ehle does an excellent job as Elizabeth. As does Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy. At the beginning of the movie I thought he was cute but by the end of it I thought that he was so incredibly attractive. He was like the perfect man. The rest of the cast also did a wonderful job. They're exactly how I pictured them being.

Overall

I watched the movie at the request of one of my best friends. She swore by it, saying that I was going to love the movie and Mr. Darcy. So, I decided to give in and possibly just fall asleep quickly but it turns out that everything she said was right. I couldn't get enough of it. I fell in love with the characters (especially Mr. Darcy), the setting, and the brilliant story. If everyone just gave this movie a chance, I'm sure that they would enjoy it.

The bicentennial production of Jane Austen's novel is given the most lavish treatment yet, by UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS director Simon Langton in this telev...