Rear Window (DVD, 2001, Collector's Edition)

Hitchcock defines Psychological Suspense with Rear Window (1954) -- Lean-N-Mean 2 W/O

Dec 4, 2003 (Updated Dec 5, 2003)

Pros:Grace Kelly radiates. The suspense will save you money on fingernail clippers.

Cons:There are those who actually say this movie is boring!

The Bottom Line: And all this time, I thought they were talking about the Rear Window of a car.

In the same year that my mother was born, Rear Window was also born. Rear Window is one of many films directed by the legendary Alfred Hitchcock, with whom I am about as familiar as I am the back of Clark Gable's hand. I saw Vertigo when I was like 15 and thought it sucked monster donkey balls. I'm sure my opinion would differ today. Anyway, when Super Mario Kart Double Dash!! didn't show up at the video store, I picked up Rear Window instead.

Now I see why it's ranked #13 on IMDb.com's Top 250.

You ever notice how much you can learn about people just by watching them, even when you can't hear anything they say? Well I sure hope so, because that's what a good 2/3 of this movie is. Miss Lonely Hearts lives on the first floor and greets imaginary boyfriends at her door. On the second floor is a miserable salesman with a nagging wife. On the third floor is a couple who sleep on a mattress out on the fire escape, incidentally "escaping the fire" of the three-digit temperatures inside. Just to the left is a ballet dancer who dances around like there's no tomorrow. Below her is a sculptor, and in the building just to the left is a pair of unsure newlyweds. Across the courtyard is a musician who feigns happiness, but plays on, and no one complains. Ah, those were the good old days.

Jeff is a feisty news reporter who will stop at nothing to get his story from the greatest angle possible, even if it means getting hit by a wayward racecar. Now, he's stuck in a cast for eight weeks, living off the breeze that comes in his rear window. Everyday, he wakes up and has nothing to do but watch these people all day. Even without the murder angle, that would've been enough to pique my interest. (Oops, did I say "murder"?)

Rear Window is told entirely through Jeff's point of view, during his eighth week. You see these people over and over again, almost never hearing a word that they say, but always knowing exactly what they are thinking. Hitchcock (and all the fine actors) make superb use of body language, music, light, shade, shades, and even the space between apartment windows.

The acting is elegant and formal at times, satirical at others, and it even gets downright sexy. I guess my problem is that when I think of old movies, I think of a bunch of guys sitting around reading cue cards. Not once did I gather such an impression here. James Stewart is charming, stubborn and hard to get as Jeff, Grace Kelly is (needless to say) gorgeous, but possesses the three S's -- sweet, sensitive and spunky. Thelma Ritter (as Stella) oozes sarcastic wit and is funny without being unbelievable as an actual person.

The best thing about Rear Window is its script (by John Michael Hayes). Much like 12 Angry Men which also takes place in confined quarters, Rear Window has to keep your attention with interactions. Those would be between Jeff and his caretaker Stella, as well as Liza his girlfriend (we think), and detective Tom Doyle, none of whom buy into Jeff's theories about the people he sees. At least, not at first. The conversation Jeff has with Stella at the beginning is one to watch for; I wonder why I ever thought they couldn't be witty in the fifties. This stuff is not outdated, if that's what you're worried about.

There is no cat jumping out from behind a trash can, jarring sound effect, or sudden appearance of a deformed face with a scar that he got two decades ago from the protagonist's pet ferret. The suspense here is all psychological. Mystery is an integral part of power, and thankfully, Hitchcock keeps the mystery intact for as long as possible, with some remaining even after the credits roll.

You shouldn't miss this one.

=========================
This review has been brought to you as part of sleeper54's Lean-N-Mean write-off, in which we keep the number of words in our reviews down below the mark of the big D, 666. Wwwwhoa. To read more of these short but scintillating entries, point your browser in this direction, you may fire when ready. WHAT?

82 Corvette Collectors Edition Rear Hatch Glass Hinge Bezels 2 C3

82 Corvette Collectors Edition Rear Hatch Glass Hinge Bezels 2 C3

VETTE MASTERS corvette parts is pleased to introduce these brand new, exact reproduction rear hatch glass hinge bezels for all 1982 corvette collector...

1982 Corvette Collectors Edition Rear Hatch Glass Hinge Bezels 2 C3

1982 Corvette Collectors Edition Rear Hatch Glass Hinge Bezels 2 C3

VETTE MASTERS corvette parts is pleased to introduce these brand new, exact reproduction hatch glass hinge bezels for all 1982 corvette collectors edi...

1985 Buick Collector's Edition-4 pc Covercraft Custom Patterned Floor Mats-Black

1985 Buick Collector's Edition - 4 pc Covercraft Custom Patterned Floor Mats - Black
96 Chevy Collector's Edition-2 pc front Covercraft Custom Floor Mats-Navy

96 Chevy Collector's Edition-2 pc front Covercraft Custom Floor Mats-Navy

1996 Chevrolet Collector's Edition - 2 pc front Covercraft Custom Patterned Floor Mats - Navy
1982 Corvette Collectors Edition Shift Console Plate

1982 Corvette Collectors Edition Shift Console Plate

Corvette Central About Payment Shipping 1982 Corvette Collectors Edition Shift Console Plate Collector Edition. Power window and rear defrost Size: N/...

1996 Buick Collector's Edition-4 pc Covercraft Custom Patterned Floor Mats-Gray

1996 Buick Collector's Edition-4 pc Covercraft Custom Patterned Floor Mats-Gray

1996 Buick Collector's Edition - 4 pc Covercraft Custom Patterned Floor Mats - Gray
82 Chevy Collector's Edition-2 pc front Covercraft Custom Floor Mats-Gray

82 Chevy Collector's Edition-2 pc front Covercraft Custom Floor Mats-Gray

1982 Chevrolet Collector's Edition - 2 pc front Covercraft Custom Patterned Floor Mats - Gray
Corvette C3 1982 Collector Edition Corvette Color Match Car Cover

Corvette C3 1982 Collector Edition Corvette Color Match Car Cover

Have a question? Call us at: 1-888-784-6921 Corvette C3 1982 Collector Edition Corvette Color Match Car Cover Description This one of a kind indoor 19...

96 Chevy Collector's Edition-2 pc front Covercraft Custom Floor Mats-Gray

96 Chevy Collector's Edition-2 pc front Covercraft Custom Floor Mats-Gray

1996 Chevrolet Collector's Edition - 2 pc front Covercraft Custom Patterned Floor Mats - Gray
1982 Corvette Collectors Edition Center Gauge And Radio Surround Bezel

1982 Corvette Collectors Edition Center Gauge And Radio Surround Bezel

Corvette Central About Payment Shipping 1982 Corvette Collectors Edition Center Gauge and Radio Surround Bezel With oil temp gauge Size: N/A Corvette ...