Barnhill's Buffet

Good southern eating at Barnhill's Buffet.

Mar 7, 2004

Pros:Excellent salmon. Huge selection of vegetables and casseroles.

Cons:Jamming at peak times. Chicken not up to temperature.

The Bottom Line: If you love home-style cooking, then try this 'all you can eat' buffet. Something for everyone. Great desserts too.

We had two Ryan's buffets, which were very average, in our local area. I am happy to say that both have gone out of business. One has been replaced with a Barnhill's Buffet. Len and I had heard several people talking about the 'all you can eat' restaurant, but they either said that there was a huge wait, or that they had given up.

Well we went to Clearwater beach on Tuesday. It was so hot, we only stayed on the beach for a couple of hours. As we were heading north, I checked my watch, and suggested that we try the new Barnhill's. By the time we got into the car park it was almost 2pm. It was jamming. I had thought that lunch would be over.

We walked through the door and there were half a dozen people in front of us. The hostess was looking for empty tables. We looked at each other and figured we would be seated shortly. Only 5 minutes later, and the young lady was asking how many. Just the two of us. Adult $5.99 and senior $5.49. You could also add a soda for just 99 cents. At Golden Corral from 2pm to 3.30pm. their special is $4.99 including a drink

Len really hates change and loves Golden Corral, so I figured if he likes it, then it must be good. We found a little two top that was clean. All the four top tables were dirty. In actual fact, the bus people/servers just didn't have enough time to get cleaned up, between people seating themselves.

We waited at least 5 to 10 minutes before our server came. I had told Len to go off and look at all the buffet items, while I waited for drinks and silverware. When the server came over, she asked if I had been before. When I said 'No', she explained where the salad bar was. The 3 hot bars, and the carving bar. Also the bakery. I thanked her and waited for Len's return. He already had a plate of food.

I went to the salad bar. They had a really neat way of keeping the plates cold. At the end of the bar was a handle. Open it up and plates were refrigerated. I took lettuce, baby tomatoes, beetroot (oophs sorry, beets) onions, and crab salad. There were several choices of dressing.

My next trip was to the hot food. I found some amazing salmon, and you could take as much as you wanted. I had cabbage, spinach, a corn-on-the-cob, and sweet potato too. All excellent.

Well I had to check a few more items out. I went to the carving bar and they had brisket of beef. I had a very thin slice. Then I saw the smoked chicken so had a little of that. I have to admit I was a little disappointment with both of these. The beef was very fatty and with hardly any flavor. The chicken was cold. I had one bite and left it. Didn't want to get sick.

Our server brought Len another diet coke. I had been drinking water with lemon. I was about to get my dessert and she asked if either of us would like complimentary coffee or hot tea. I had decaf. coffee. When I checked out the desserts I just couldn't make up my mind. I finally chose cheesecake. They had several different kinds. I also had one spoonful of a blackberry cobbler.

Next time I plan on trying the Black Forest Cake. I just hope it is as good as the ones I had in Germany. I also want to try several of the other hot desserts. I always give the ice cream a miss. However, they did have fat free yogurt too.

Len ate the chili soup. They also had New England Clam Chowder as well. He wanted the sausage, but they only had half of one left. He knew he wasn't supposed to have it on his diet so guessed it was an omen. He was also pleased that they had sugar free desserts. Apple pie, which looked homemade. Chocolate pudding and jello.

Oh, I forgot. I went back to the salad bar to see what fresh fruit they had. It was all in one bowl. Pineapple, strawberries, peaches, melon, etc. I took a spoonful just to try. I prefer Golden Corral, who have each one in a separate container.

It sounds as if I ate enough for a week. Actually I only took a very small amount of each. Just wanted to know what I would enjoy next time.

My overall thoughts on this chain.

The restaurant was bright and cheerful. The tables were reasonably spaced out so you weren't too close to the next people. The service really depended on how busy they were. After 2.30pm our server came back several times, and redeemed herself. If I had been there, say an hour earlier I think I would have really blasted the restaurant for lack of service.

The food was constantly being added to. They also did this the correct way. Putting a complete new container of food into the table, and then adding any from the previous tray to the top. This was ensuring that the oldest food got eaten first.

As we had paid going into the restaurant, our check was sitting on our table. When I looked at it, there was a survey. As all of you know, I had to fill it out. You could also check off for a Manager to contact you. I thought, what the heck, and did that. As yet, no one has made contact.

The restaurant is open from 10.45am to 8.30pm except Friday and Saturdays, when it closes at 9.pm.
They have gift cards that you can purchase ranging from $15 to $50.
Friday nights from 4pm is the seafood buffet. With this being a new restaurant to our area, I think I will give it a miss. Just way too busy for me.

The address of the Barnhill's we went to is:-
6301 State Road 54,
New Port Richey,
Fl 34653.
Telephone 727-841-0444.

www.barnhills.com.

We normally go to an 'all you can eat' two to three times a month. I do believe the quality of food is better than Golden Corral, but I would miss some of my favorites there. Will probably split our visits between both.

Thanks for dining with me.

Here is my up-dated review of Golden Corral, if anyone would like to compare the two. Both have excellent choices and value.

Susie.

Newhouse Buffet

Newhouse Buffet

Coaster realizes the importance of your home which is why they have an endless variety of furniture in countless styles and designs. The designs are c...
Montego Buffet, Multiple Colors

Montego Buffet, Multiple Colors

Enhance your kitchen or dining area with this Montego Buffet available in Multiple Colors. This attractive furniture piece is designed to suit a varie...

Buffet: Antique Black 2-Door Buffet

Buffet: Antique Black 2-Door Buffet

Find buffets, servers, carts and bakers racks at Target.com! Expand the storage space of your dining room with an antique black 2-door buffet. This an...

LaFayette Buffet Server Sideboard Cabinet Wine Storage

LaFayette Buffet Server Sideboard Cabinet Wine Storage

The Crosley Buffet Server is the perfect solution for your dining area. Whether you are simply looking for a complementary piece of furniture or an ey...
Buffet Of Buffets Black Finish W/ A Medium Cherry Wood Top Furniture Kitchen

Buffet Of Buffets Black Finish W/ A Medium Cherry Wood Top Furniture Kitchen

Welcome to YaiSales FAQ Payment Feedback About Us Store Home in titles description Store Categories NEW Buffet of Buffets Black finish w/ a Medium Che...

Simple Living Kendall Buffet (Buffet)

Simple Living Kendall Buffet (Buffet)

The Kendall Buffet with both glass and solid doors offers a classic style and is the perfect addition to any dining area or kitchen. The X style door ...
Overstock.com

Buffet: Home Styles Buffet with 2 Door Hutch - Black/Natural

Buffet: Home Styles Buffet with 2 Door Hutch - Black/Natural

Find buffets, servers, carts and bakers racks at Target.com! Create a large amount of additional storage and display space with this large hutch buffe...

Lodge Collection Buffet with Hutch Multicolor - WCL308

Lodge Collection Buffet with Hutch Multicolor - WCL308

Shop for Buffets and Side Boards from Hayneedle.com! The Lodge Collection Buffet with Hutch has great form and function with its elegant yet rustic st...
Hayneedle

Home Styles Buffet Server & Hutch

Home Styles Buffet Server & Hutch

Cottage Oak finish buffet with solid wood top & 2 door hutch

Teak Buffet Sideboard 60in X 15in X 34.5in H By Regal Teak

Teak Buffet Sideboard 60in X 15in X 34.5in H By Regal Teak

Teak Buffet Sideboard 60in X 15in X 34.5in H by Regal Teak Teak Buffet or Sideboard. 60L X 15W X 34.5H. Excellent for outdoor or indoor use. Use next ...