Dairy Queen

Would you like gravy or sauce with your chicken strips?

Oct 7, 2000 (Updated Oct 7, 2000)

Pros:Good cold stuff.

Cons:Long wait... pricy

Introduction: Only those of us who have had the pleasure of working at this fine establishment will understand the joy of the title above. After working at DQ for about 6 months, this sentence burns into my very soul. Do the workers of Dairy Queen a favor and when you order chicken strips... please already know If you want gravy, sweet and sour, honey mustard, BBQ or honey sauce to go with them ;)

About 4 days a week, I go to work at our local Dairy Queen (after school and on weekends). These months, through fall and into winter, will be very slow ones I have been told. It seems to me that it should be enjoyable... watching "Direct TV" and eating ice cream... and getting paid :). Anyway, on with the review.

What does the interior of a Dairy Queen store look like?
Since 1996, owners of DQ stores have been "urged" to make their establishments look retro. I work at a DQ that was built about 8 years ago and has a "grandmaís cabin" feel to it. With a fireplace and a good heating system, I will keep you warm so that you can enjoy your ice cream on a cold Ohio night. We also decorate for Halloween and Christmas nationally.

What does it look like behind the counter? Is it clean?
Dairy Queen, like all fast foods, has it's quirks. Read my comments about fast food places you can find by clicking on my name if you really want to find out what goes on. Most owners attempt to keep their store's clean (or so I am told). At many others, and ours there is a bucket of soap/bleach water available at all times. Though employees are normally not told to wear gloves, several sinks should be back behind the counter. The rest is trivial... think of Dairy Queen as a small step up from a Wendys, and a step down from a coffee shop.

The Food
Hot eats, and cool treats are what keep people coming back.

The Hot Food, with my personal opinion -
Steak-melt - B+
*Chicken Basket - B+
*Fish - A (if you like fish)
Burgers - B

The Cold Stuff, with my personal opinion -
Our ice cream is good, and lowfat - A
The Pecan mudslide and our chocolate rock are great. - A
The peanut buster is our most over-rated product - C
The rest is on a personal taste basis. Remember that all of our cold food may get nuts in it... without it being any fault of the employee. Do not eat here if you are allergic to nuts.

Misc. Information

- The hot food will take forever to be prepared. We make it when you order it. Consider it a sit down restaurant.

- Our large shake is $3.00 on average! Very over-priced!
- The pecan mudslide is $3.25 on average!

- Please do not bring in baseball/soccer teams... every DQ worker has nightmares about that sort of thing ;)

- Our cakes take a while to make... give us 48 hours notice.

- Our best values are the kidís meal. Get it and throw out the toy.

Over all we are an all right store. If you have the time, and the money for over-priced slowly made food, eat here. I would just stick to the ice cream.

Dairy Queen Kid's Meal Ice Cream Cone Shipped Mini Chalkboard With Chalk/eraser

Dairy Queen Kid's Meal Ice Cream Cone Shipped Mini Chalkboard With Chalk/eraser

Dairy Queen Kid's Meal Ice Cream Cone Shipped Mini Chalkboard with Chalk/Eraser Brand new in sealed package. Check out the other great McDonalds Happy...

Vintage Teardrop Travel Trailer Ford F-1 Pick-up Truck Dq Dairy Queen Lg Art

Vintage Teardrop Travel Trailer Ford F-1 Pick-up Truck Dq Dairy Queen Lg Art

PERFECT WALL ART FOR THE TINIEST TRAILER!LARGE Art Print: Signed by the artist VINTAGE DRIVE THRU 11 X 14 print after an original casein painting by P...

Vintage Teardrop Travel Trailer Ford F-1 Pick-up Truck Dq Dairy Queen Art Print

Vintage Teardrop Travel Trailer Ford F-1 Pick-up Truck Dq Dairy Queen Art Print

PERFECT WALL ART FOR THE TINIEST TRAILER! Original Art Print: Signed by the artist VINTAGE DRIVE THRU 8X10 print after an original casein painting by ...