Denny's

Epinions Product Rating: OK

If It Is Tuesday - I Will Have The Potato Soup

Jun 13, 2000

Pros:Open 24 Hrs, Take-out

Cons:Where are those coupons?

I have been going to one Denny’s Restaurant since I arrived in Los Angeles the summer of 1985. The corner of Wilshire Boulevard and Vermont Avenue has changed much during this time. The office building I worked at is still there, but Chubb Insurance has left long ago to another location. The Bank of America is gone and since merged with a number of banks. The dentist moved away also.

The nice addition to this area is the Metro Rail. The number one reason to come to this Mid Wilshire location is the Denny's Restaurant. When I was employed at Chubb, I was a regular at Denny’s. One does not feel awkward sitting at the counter having lunch alone or even dining solo at a table made for more than one. I never felt the need to bring a newspaper or book to read while waiting the arrival of my meal. Which many times solo patrons of various establishments do. There is always a newspaper for that matter in the hostess section for the customers to peruse.

Change is good, but I have come to rely on the following soup schedule that has not changed to my knowledge:

Monday - Chicken Noodle ( I like it!)
Tuesday – Potato soup (with ham bits too)
Wednesday – Cheese Soup (yummy)
Thursday – Vegetable Beef (I am not a veggie lover)
Friday – Clam Chowder (honestly I have never tried it)
Saturday/Sunday & Holidays – most likely Chicken Noodle and a Vegetable Beef will be the selections

Over the years I have come back to this location I refer to, and I even lived in this area for a few years until 98. I could easily walk here with my two kids in the stroller. There are high chairs for the little ones and the first thing I have always done upon arrival at the booth, is remove the salt and pepper shakers to another spot. Most often I have just asked the server to take away and they soon realize the need to comply with my wishes. Having two special needs kids make going anywhere a difficult task. The food ends up on the floor and I have not tried to have soup with these two preschoolers. That is where the best part of the Denny’s Restaurant comes in.

We utilize the take-out menu more often than sitting down inside. My kids have had the grilled cheese and french fries and they have made it into their stomachs on more than one occasion, rather than the floor. The chocolate shakes are my favorite and I have shared with my older son, and they give you the left over from the silver tin that is used to make them. I love having the Grandslam, patty melt or a bird sandwich.

A few years ago Denny’s changed the way the free birthdays were handled and you are not able to just walk in on your birthday and have a freebie. There is a form to fill out and I believe the free kids lunch is for 12 and younger. We should be getting our postcard in the mail soon. There is a separate kids menu and then the colorful mouth watering menu that makes the decision making quite difficult.

I recently noticed a selection on the Take-Out menu I have not tried, called Moons Over My Hammy. For $6.19 you get the supreme ham & egg sandwich, with Swiss & American Cheese on grilled sourdough bread. Served with your choice of hashed browns or french fries. That sounds good.

Another item worth mentioning is the All-American Slam for the same price. This consists of three eggs scrambled with Cheddar Cheese. Served with hashed browns, two bacon strips, two sausage links & choice of bread. Ten cents of every All-American Slam sold (at all participating Denny’s Restaurants) goes to Support Save the Children U.S. Programs. Did you know that? Check it out on the menu next time you go.

Also were you aware that you can substitute Egg Beaters in any breakfast at no additional charge. Good information to be passed on to those needing to watch this intake. The choice of bread consists of: toast, biscuit, English muffin or Flour tortilla. I like these choices and change mine often. Cary’s Sugar-Free Syrup is available upon request. Eggs that are soft boiled, sunny-side up or soft poached may be undercooked and are served only on request.

Breakfast and Lunch are served Twenty-four hours a day. Dinner is served from 11 am and the baked potatoes are only available from 4pm until 10 pm. They are worth going in at a later time to try. Denny’s accepts major credit cards and you can try to call in your order ahead of time for take-out.

I could go on and on about all the things I like about Denny’s but then it would be Wednesday and you would of missed the Potato Soup. Denny’s Restaurant is the place I choose for my soups and sandwiches. For my breakfasts with endless choices on breads, meats, egg concoctions and my favorite burger meal, the pattymelt. Their pickles are really good too. Always ask for extra. If you do not want to opt for a shake, they serve chocolate milk and I get that or orange juice for the kids instead of soda.

Being this is June and I am in Los Angeles, you may wonder, why is she writing about Soup. I am the type of person who loves to have a bowl of soup in the summer and a bowl of ice cream in the winter. So what are you waiting for, go to Denny’s and get that soup!!

UppaBaby Cruz Stroller - Denny (Red)

UppaBaby Cruz Stroller - Denny (Red)

The ideal combination of function and style, the CRUZ delivers a compact stroller solution without compromising on the features of a full-size strolle...
Albee Baby

CafePress Soon Denny's Bride Women's Pink T-Shirt

CafePress Soon Denny's Bride Women's Pink T-Shirt

Women's T-Shirt100% cotton5.6 ozStandard FitTagless Crewneck CollarMachine Wash Cold
CafePress.com

UPPAbaby CRUZ-MESA Travel System - Denny Black
Newegg.com

Uppababy CRUZ Stroller - Denny (Red/Silver)

Uppababy CRUZ Stroller - Denny (Red/Silver)

Parenting is full of adjustments like learning to function on little sleep or never leaving the house again without an arsenal of supplies. Fortunatel...
Albee Baby

Denny's $25

Denny Classic Pump - Vino

Denny Classic Pump - Vino

These Denny Heels made by Alfani come in Vino with a Leather upper and 2.75 inch heel.
Uncle Denny eBook

Uncle Denny eBook

Buy Uncle Denny by Don Meyer and Read this Book on Kobo's Free Apps. Discover Kobo's Vast Collection of Ebooks Today - Over 3 Million Titles, Includi...
Kobo eBooks