Krispy Kreme

Krispy Kreme: The Hot Light is On!

Apr 28, 2002 (Updated Apr 28, 2002)

Pros:Very tasty; Very clean interior; Friendly service

Cons:They are addictive!; High in calories and fat

The Bottom Line: Krispy Kreme is one of my favorite places to go for doughnuts, with lots of great- tasting food and a clean atmosphere. But be warned: you can't eat just one!

Krispy Kreme is chain of doughnut stores that was founded in 1937 by Vernon Rudolph. Winston- Salem, North Carolina was the site of the original Krispy Kreme doughnut shop. The chain was sold to Beatrice Foods in 1973, following the death of Rudolph. In 1982, a group of franchisees got together and bought Krispy Kreme back from Beatrice, thereby re-establishing the famous doughnut maker as an independent company.

Menu Selections:

Krispy Kreme is best known for its hot, glazed doughnuts. The best way to get these doughnuts is to buy them when they are fresh and hot, inside one of the stores. If you purchase them through carryout, they will not be as hot and delicious when you take them home. A little microwave action can solve this problem, but I still like them best when they are served as fresh as possible, ďhot off the lineĒ, as they say at Krispy Kreme.

Even though the glazed variety is the best- known, Krisy Kreme does offer more flavors of doughnuts. There are about 20 different varieties to choose from, with flavors like chocolate iced, cream filled chocolate iced, custard filled chocolate iced, lemon filled glazed, glazed cruller, glazed blueberry, glazed sour cream, cinnamon bun, cinnamon apple filled, glazed raspberry filled, powdered blueberry filled, powdered strawberry filled, and many more.

Beverages comprise the other part of the menu at Krispy Kreme. For coffee lovers, there are four selections to choose from: smooth, rich, bold, and robust decaffeinated. The first three choices vary by intensity, with the smooth variety being the weakest, the rich a little more full- bodied, and the bold the most full- bodied of all. Thereís also regular milk to buy, as well as tea and fruit juices, if you donít prefer the taste of coffee.

You can get some good- tasting espresso beverages at Krispy Kreme, too, and they are all quite good tasting. Thereís the Kaffee Kreme, which is made with espresso, Krispyís orginal Kreme, steamed milk, and topped with whipped cream. The Mocha is similar to the Kaffee Kreme, but with chocolate in place of the original Kreme. Cappuccino is another possibility, made with espresso, steamed milk, and frothy milk on the top. Latte is another option, made with espresso, flavored syrup (of your choice) and steamed milk.

If you prefer an ice- cold beverages with your doughnuts, Krispy Kreme has a few frozen drinks to suit your fancy. You can choose the frozen original Kreme, frozen raspberry, or frozen double chocolate.

Atmosphere:

Many people are unaware of what the inside of Krispy Kreme even looks like because so much of the sales volume takes place at the drive- up window. The inside of Krispy Kreme is very bright, with white being the dominant color (at least where I live anyway) along with red and green. Thereís a large front window in the front, to let in the natural light, and about ten to fifteen tables, seating four people each. Thereís an open window inside the restaurant, where you can watch the employees make the doughnuts.

One other thing that stands out at Krispy Kreme is the cleanliness. When I have gone inside to eat, I have noticed that there was always an employee cleaning something. As soon as customers got up and left their table, an employee was quick to wipe it down with a damp cloth. Cleanliness seems to be very important to this doughnut chain.

Prices:

Doughnuts here cost 50 cents each for original glazed, and 65 cents each for the others. A dozen sells for $4.29 for glazed or $4.99 for all the others. These prices are pretty fair, considering what you get for your money.

The beverages can get a little pricey, if you go for one of the fancy drinks. If money is tight, then you should try to stick with coffee or milk, which both sell for under 1 dollar. The espresso drinks and the frozen beverages sell for a price between $1.75 and $3.50, depending on what you buy.

Final Thoughts:

Krispy Kreme has come a long way in the 65 years since its original founding. It has taken a long time to spread around the United States, but it has now, I think, become a household name in the world of doughnuts. Its stores can be found in 35 of the 50 states, and more and more franchises are being granted each year.

Iím my area of Dayton, Ohio, we got our first Krispy Kreme in 2000. The store is located down the street from me, in my hometown of Kettering, and its opening was greeted with anxious anticipation from the local community, many of whom had tried Krispy Kreme in other states and were excited that we had one of our own for the first time.

Krispy Kreme doughnuts are very good- tasting. The original glazed is the one that most people are familiar with. At other doughnut places, glazed doughnuts usually rank at the bottom of my list when I make a purchase. But with Krispy Kreme, itís an entirely different story. The reason, of course, is the fact that they are served hot. Like I stated above, the doughnuts are good at any temperature, but they are especially tasty when you buy them inside the store, hot off the presses. If youíre wondering whether or not the doughnuts are being served hot and fresh, just watch the sign on the outside of the store. If the ďHOTĒ light is on, that means the doughnuts are being made and they are at their peak of freshness.

Another thing I like about Krispy Kreme is the fact that the doughnuts are so neatly made. With the cream- filled iced doughnuts, for example, the chocolate cream topping is placed perfectly on top, creating what looks like a chocolate shell. And when you buy Krispy Kreme to go, they make sure that your doughnuts look nice and neat by packaging them lying down in the box. When you open up your box, the doughnuts are neatly arranged with the top of the doughnut facing up. With other doughnut shops, they will cram the doughnuts into a bag, or they will place them in a box where the doughnuts will be standing on edge, often touching each other. Krispy Kremeís method of packaging is much better and makes for a much nicer presentation.

I really like the beverages at Krispy Kreme, my favorite being the double- chocolate and the mocha espresso drink. Iím not much of a coffee drinker, so I try to avoid any beverage that tastes too much like coffee.

Krispy Kreme is usually open late, so itís nice and convenient. Even when the inside has closed up, the drive- up window remains open for 24 hours to satisfy your need for sugar at any time of day.

Krispy Kreme is one of the best doughnut chains around. The emphasis on quality and cleanliness are the main reasons for this chains popularity. It has a long way to go to catch up with industry leader Dunkiní Doughnuts (in terms of number of stores), but I think it definitely has the right ingredients for success.

Try Krispy Kreme, and see for yourself how good- tasting a doughnut can be. Itís impossible to eat just one!

Keurig

Krispy Kreme Fundraiser Card For Any Krispy Kreme Factory Store

Krispy Kreme Fundraiser Card For Any Krispy Kreme Factory Store

DETAILS $1.98 s h, Each Additional Free Can be used at any Krispy Kreme FACTORY Store where donuts are manufactured. (Cannot be used at the grocery st...

Krispy Kreme Krispy Juniors Crullers Bag

Krispy Kreme Krispy Juniors Crullers Bag

Product Details A favorite doughnut-mini version Perfect size for snacks or for the kids. Crullers Krispy Kreme SKU: ADIB007P34SYY
Krispy Kreme Fundraiser Card- Half Card (5 Stamps For Krispy Kreme Factory Store

DETAILS HALF card with 5 stamps.$1.98 s h, shipping on Each Additional set Free Can be used at any Krispy Kreme FACTORY Store where donuts are manufac...

Keurig

Keurig Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Decaf Medium Roast Coffee K-Cups 18 ct

Keurig Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Decaf Medium Roast Coffee K-Cups 18 ct

Find coffee, tea and chocolate drinks at Target.com! Full of personality, this classic decaf is richly roasted with a satisfying flavor. Made with 100...

Krispy Kreme Kcups 12 Kcups Light Roast

Krispy Kreme Kcups 12 Kcups Light Roast

KRISPY KREME DOUGHNUTS SMOOTH Light Roast Coffee A balanced, easy-to-love blend that boasts bright fruit notes and a clean, sweet finish.best by date ...

Chase Authentics Gray Gaulding #20 Krispy Kreme Youth T-Shirt - Black

Chase Authentics Gray Gaulding #20 Krispy Kreme Youth T-Shirt - Black

365 Day No Hassle Returns! Your youngster is destined for a future as a racing fanatic with parents like you! Drivers like Gray Gaulding are prime ex...
Fanatics

Keurig K-Cup: Pack 18 Krispy Kreme Doughnut Smooth Coffee 8640

Keurig K-Cup: Pack 18 Krispy Kreme Doughnut Smooth Coffee 8640

Keurig K-Cup: Pack 18 Krispy Kreme Doughnut Smooth Coffee
Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Mens Short Sleeve T Shirt Size Xl

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Mens Short Sleeve T Shirt Size Xl

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Mens Short Sleeve T Shirt Size XL Arm pit to Arm pit is 24 Length is 29 Shirt is in excellent condition with no stains or holes...