Sizzler

TURKEY DAY AT SIZZLER

Jul 26, 2000

Pros:Self Service, no wait for a seat

Cons:more choices on the bars

If you are the parent of smaller children and would like to sit down to a nice turkey platter with the fixings, why not consider heading to your local Sizzler for a Thanksgiving or Christmas meal.

For two years I lived within walking distance of Sizzler and utilized the double stroller on these occasions, and was able to enjoy a glass of wine without the hassle of how to get home.

There is no need to wait to be seated or have a hostess bring you to a table. You walk up to the counter and place your order. There are pictures of various dishes to help in the decision process.

The holiday turkey special is a flat rate that includes the salad bar with the desert bar, located next to the children’s bar. This does not include the price of a drink. The offerings are soda, beer and wine for the adults. These come in glass sizes from the tap for the beer and also the wine. You can order a carafe of wine also. For children they serve iced tea, soda, and milk. The iced tea and sodas come with free refills. They also will give you water upon request.

The children’s bar consists of tater tots, macaroni and cheese, chicken nuggets, as well as water melon chunks for desert. The desert section has the ice cream machine where you can pull on the handle to make a vanilla or chocolate cone or dish with toppings as sprinkles and chips. I have seen pound cake as well as jello.

The salad bar has all the fixings to make a salad along with the dressings and bread and rolls. The main bar will have the choices of spaghetti, meatballs and sauce, hot wings, onion rings and chicken, along with two choices of soup and crackers. I have never tasted lettuce or had a salad, so in all honesty I cannot comment on the offerings since I get pickles and bread only.

Once you have paid for the order, you will carry your tray with the receipt to a table of your choice. You should of received a soup bowl and salad plate along with silverware. In my parts there are no separate smoking sections, the restaurant is all no smoking. There are high chairs along the walls. The server will take the tray and the white part of the receipt, ask if you want toppings on the baked potato and at this time ask for the water if that is your choice of drink.

The drink will arrive shortly afterwards and if you placed an order that included the salad bar this is the time to go get salad or soup. The first thing I do is go get a plate of some food for my kids and head back to get something for myself once they are occupied. I always sit right besides the kids cart.

Sizzler has many combo platters and for the seafood lover you can get fish and chicken or fish and steak with a choice of baked potato or fries. I most always get the Rib Eye steak medium rare. I like their baked potatoes and fries and they are always hot upon arrival.

There are hot sandwiches and these come with fries. I have tried the steak and cheese sandwich and many times had the steak combo with malibu chicken. This is the best chicken offered at Sizzler.

The best part is that I can eat when I want to. I have often had the soup after the steak. This is best when the kids are engaged in their own food and makes for less mess. I do not have to worry about picking up the food after they tossed it on the floor.

Sometimes a server is going around with balloons to the tables. I have had bad luck with them and prefer to not have them. It takes too much time to tie them to the chair or stroller and then each kid has to have one and two seconds later it popped anyway.

There is always an employee working at the bar cleaning up, sorting plates, restocking the soup or bringing fresh bread, etc. They wear aprons and some wear gloves. When my youngest son was five months old we took a walk to Sizzler for Thanksgiving dinner. I was on my second glass of wine while he was sleeping in the stroller and the two year old was playing with the food and his race cars. I have pictures showing my son sacked out that day.

I enjoyed the slow pace and no clean up so much that we cruised on back via stroller on Christmas and the same special was available. They remember us each time we go there too. The following year I made the mistake of going to Kmart beforehand and we drove to Sizzler on the way home. I thought people shopped the day after Turkey day. I was set on eating my turkey with no hassles at Sizzler but the avalanche of people at Kmart left us fatigued and I asked for the remainder of my meal to go. It was just as good when my sons were napping a little later that day.

Sizzler has the means of placing tables together to fit a large family for dining. I have seen meetings there as well as the police and fire department personnel. This one I have been going to for many years is across the street from my Goodyear shop and I have scheduled work to be done, smog checks, oil changes to coincide with the lunch serving at Sizzler.

You can use all major credit cards as well and I have done this many times too. There are coupons in Sunday supplements that have certain dates and times they are limited to. For the holidays no coupons are to be utilized.

The turkey has always been juicy and the right amount of gravy. The garlic toast is always crunchy and I ask for more. The servers have always been attentive and I tend to over tip and they are always cleaning up around us while we are there.

I like the fact that I can linger and spend an hour or two having a meal and just relaxing while a child has fallen asleep. I have also asked for another cola and paid the server at the table.

While the traditional Mother’s Day and Easter Sunday meals are usually reserved for fine dining experiences, why not consider Sizzler for the next Thanksgiving dinner and/or Christmas.

This works for college students who do not have the opportunity to go home, single parents who want to eat and not cook or clean up. Friends who would like to gab and catch up on the past year instead of cooking, washing dishes and suffering through the heat of the oven being on all day.

My first year living in Los Angles was 1985 and I had the air conditioner on during the holiday cooking due to the temperature being 85 degrees. The price is reasonable and for one adult holiday dinner and one child salad bar, with drink, tip is about $25.00. The child's bar is free for under the age of four.

I have always enjoyed the food and the service at Sizzler, and this one is down the street from the Denny’s I wrote about and the IHOP is around the corner. I have not been to IHOP in years and the place seems cramped and the Denny's does not allow for sitting back and enjoying your stay due to the high traffic and limited seating space.

The next time you find a coupon in the paper for Sizzler, why not check it out and start planning for the Thanksgiving feast at Sizzler. Leaving a tip for the server is also a good idea. Fill out the comment card expressing your likes and/or dislikes. Pop the mint in your mouth and out the door you go.

The Sizzler eBook

The Sizzler eBook

Buy The Sizzler by Rick Huhn and Read this Book on Kobo's Free Apps. Discover Kobo's Vast Collection of Ebooks Today - Over 3 Million Titles, Includi...
Kobo eBooks

Built Neoprene Sizzler Extra Long Oven Mitt, Black

Built Neoprene Sizzler Extra Long Oven Mitt, Black

BUILT Neoprene Sizzler Extra Long Oven Mitt, Black Item Description Whether you’re racing to grill a feast in the bacard or cook a fiesta in the kit...

Oval Aluminum Sizzler Platter 8 x 11

Oval Aluminum Sizzler Platter 8 x 11

This aluminum oval sizzler platter allows you to serve sizzling hot steaks, fajitas, omelets, or other specialty dishes! AZP-11
The WEBstaurant Store
Americana Sizzler Deluxe Supreme Grill

Americana Sizzler Deluxe Supreme Grill

This grill has a stay cool handle and a two position cooking grid. The Americana Sizzler Deluxe Supreme is a great addition to your backyard grilling ...
Arbor GB Sizzler Cruiser Complete Shark 31.75 x 9in

Arbor GB Sizzler Cruiser Complete Shark 31.75 x 9in

The Sizzler is a chopped down swallowtail thruster that was designed with a shape that's ideal for slashing banks, powering down the line, or carving ...
The-House.com

Mexican Origins Fajita Sizzler Set, 2-Piece

Mexican Origins Fajita Sizzler Set, 2-Piece

The Mexican Origins Fajita Sizzler Set comes ready for use because it has been pre-seasoned, eliminating the time consuming requirement of producing y...

Built Neoprene Sizzler Extra Long Oven Mitt, Black, Free Shipping,

Built Neoprene Sizzler Extra Long Oven Mitt, Black, Free Shipping,

BUILT Neoprene Sizzler Extra Long Oven Mitt, Black, Free Shipping, New Details: Manufacturer: Built NY Size: One Size Color: Black Item Dimensions: Le...

Oval Sizzler Platter Thermal Underliner

Oval Sizzler Platter Thermal Underliner

This black thermal Bakelite underliner provides safe, easy transportation and presentation of sizzler platters. It is designed to accept our 11 3/8 x ...
The WEBstaurant Store
Grillware Sizzler Platter - Frontgate

Grillware Sizzler Platter - Frontgate

Crafted from durable Armetale metal, a non-toxic aluminum-based alloy. Grill and serve in the same piece. Keeps your food hot longer on the table
. ...