Rival RC61 6-Cup Rice Cooker Reviews

Rival RC61 6-Cup Rice Cooker

Epinions Product Rating: OK

+$7.38 shipping Target

Rival Rice Cooker

Aug 30, 2010 (Updated Feb 5, 2012)

Pros:Nice rice, company has excellent customer service.

Cons:Machine died after eight uses, however, they sent a replacement.

The Bottom Line: Model's cheap and company stand behind product so its not too bad of a deal.

I can't for the life of me cook rice properly.  I watch other people do it and am amazed that they use the same ingredients, throw it in a pot with some water, and voila, 20 min. later have a perfect pot of soft wonderfully cooked rice.  I can do the same thing and two hours later my rice is still crunchy.  Its just not in the cards for me to be able to cook it.  But then I got my Rival Rice Cooker.  There are a lot of problems with this model, but ultimately, I am able to cook rice perfectly with it.  Also, this model does come in a spiffy red color that actually looks quite nice for an appliance.

This model comes with a steamer basket, plastic spoon for stirring, and measuring cup that holds a certain amount of rice for measuring purposes.  Of course it also comes with the pot and actual cooker and lid as well.  The steamer basket is a nice addition and does work very well for steaming vegetables while your rice is cooking.  The plastic spoon is somewhat worthless in my opinion but at least it doesn't scratch the surface.  The measuring cup is nice but don't be fooled into thinking its an actual "cup" of rice as it is its own measurement.  Measuring the water is just as easy by following the lines on the side of the bowl.  I've used these measurements with several different types of rice (jasmine, basmati, brown, etc.) and have had good results every time.

I've only used one cup at a time for this rice cooker since there's only two of us and haven't had a problem with clean up.  Some water and "skin" forms at the steam hole on the lid but this is easily cleaned by placing the lid in the dishwasher.  I can't comment on how well this works with larger amounts of rice since I've never tried it.  The bowl and other utensils (aside from the electric cooker itself) clean up nicely in the dishwasher as well.

Now for the bad part, I used this cooker maybe a total of eight times (twice or so a month) when in the middle of cooking it just completely zonked out on me.  Nothing would persuade it to come back on.  Why then did I rate it so high if this happened?  I contacted the good folks at Rival/Jarden and they sent me a replacement absolutely free.  To me this is excellent customer service and shows that they stand behind their products.  I'm not sure how long my new one will last but at least now I feel as if I'm getting my money's worth out of the cooker.  Not to mention I now have two sets of bowls, utensils, and all other accessories so I won't have to diligently clean everything if I want to use it two nights in a row.

This is a great little cooker if you don't get a faulty one.  But even if you do it would seem like this is the company to get it from as they back their products.  Overall I'd say I've had a good experience with this cooker and no longer have crunchy rice.

UPDATE (2-5-12):

This replacement one is still working.  I probably use it every month to every other month and it cooks just the same as I got it.  Looks like this one is going to last a little longer.

Prepares 6 cups of perfect rice and keeps it warm until you re ready to eat. Features an external steaming basket and a removable nonstick bowl for ea...
Shop Categories All categories Click here to view full size. Full Size Image Click to close full size. Rival RC61 6-cup Rice Cooker w/Steamer, Red A c...
Find rice cookers and steamers at Target.com! The rival 6-cup rice cooker has a bowl and a steaming basket to cook rice and steam vegetable simultaneo...