Rumor Has It (DVD, 2006, Widescreen) Reviews

Rumor Has It (DVD, 2006, Widescreen)

Epinions Product Rating: OK

+$4.97 shipping Walmart.com

Cuck Cuck Ka Choo Not: Rumor Has It

Jun 10, 2009 (Updated Jun 11, 2009)

Pros:Shirley MacLaine, Kevin Costner, Interesting premise

Cons:Everything else

The Bottom Line: Plastics - remember that word - that's an in joke from The Graduate - and skip this movie because it is plastic as anything I've seen. You've been warned!

Rumor Has It (2005)

"Life is short, but marriage is long... so drink up, and it will make it go a hell of a lot faster." Katharine

Rumor Has It is a romantic comedy that supposedly gives the inside skinny on a famous movie that supposedly was based on a Pasadena family - The Graduate, in which everyone knows a college-age bachelor boffed both a mother and daughter.  Lots of Pasadena jokes which were apparently meant to provoke mirth among the local cognoscenti but fell pretty flat as far as I was concerned.

Well this fictional movie scenario happened around the late 1960s and it was based on a book written earlier in the 60s and now a young woman from Pasadena (Jennifer Aniston) is going to get married to a young man (Mark Ruffalo) except she hesitates.

On a trip home for her sister's wedding she feels disconnected from her family and notes the differences in their attitudes and behavior and since her mom is dead she talks to a crazy aunt and gets the idea they are the family the book was based on and she is the product of that wild fling between the daughter and Benjamin Braddock - except the two were never married in the real world.

Of course Ben had also bagged the mother, the book's Mrs Robinson, played here a generation later by Shirley MacLaine, who gives the best performance in the movie.  She confirms the rumor and that's all the farther the premise goes because Jennifer Aniston runs with the idea and hunts up the beau, who she was told is named Beau Burroughs (BB like Ben Braddock, remember) (Kevin Costner) and danged if she doesn't get bagged by him, too.

The movie suffers from a good idea with no script to back it up and only two of the several actors with a clue of how to best employ their screen time.

Shirley MacLaine and Kevin Costner as the grandmother Katharine and Beau have enough shtick to fill their moments productively while Jennifer Aniston with by far the lion's share of screen time has hardly any detectible acting ability.  I never watched Aniston on TV, so maybe I am unfairly judging her but she didn't do much here except mug and fidget.  I probably won't see many more of her movies with this as my intro to her.  She is apparently considered a great beauty and very vivacious only I couldn't see either of those qualities here. I have enjoyed her photos on the tabloid covers as I pass through the checkout line but most of these newer actresses are question marks to me and do not attract me enough for me to look into them further.  Mark Ruffalo alternates between whining and complaining for his contribution as the fifth wheel boy friend.  He should be careful to pick better film roles in the future.

Rumor Has It does not make much of an impression, unfortunately.  The Warner Bros DVD comes in full screen or 1.85:1 formats on separately priced disks. The one extra is the theatrical trailer and subtitles are also included.

You can safely miss this one, folks. I see the bad ones so you don't have to.

With the romantic comedy RUMOR HAS IT, director Rob Reiner (WHEN HARRY MET SALLY) attempts the tricky task of creating a film based on an already cele...

Rumor Has ItIn stock