Samsung UN32D4000ND 32" 720p HD LED LCD Television Reviews

Samsung UN32D4000ND 32" 720p HD LED LCD Television

Epinions Product Rating: OK

The Samsung LED 4000 Series Television Big Features In A Small Package

Mar 14, 2012 (Updated Mar 14, 2012)

• Sound:
  • Picture Quality:

Pros:Great picture quality and sound, numerous input/output ports, intuitive remote and setup menu.

Cons:Pricepoint is average at best.

The Bottom Line: The Samsung UN32D4000 Television provides excellent picture and sound quality, plenty of input/output ports and features intuitive controls.  The price point will become better with introduction of new technology.

I purchased this Samsung 32 Inch 4000 Series LED Television several months ago.  This television currently retails at MSRP $529, which seems slightly expensive.  However, this model can be found for at least one hundred dollars less than that price.  When I purchased this television, it was in the five hundred dollar range.  However, this television was not nearly the bargain I received when I purchased my Vizio 37 inch LED Television, at the four hundred dollar price point.  With the introduction of 3D televisions and Smart TVs, LED televisions can be found at bargain prices.  This is especially true for the popular 32 Inch models.  If you are looking for a basic high-definition television, the Samsung 32 Inch 4000 Series LED Television should be an excellent product at a slightly elevated price point.

Mounting

I purchased the Samsung 32 Inch 4000 Series LED Television for my colleague’s new office.  I mounted it to the wall using the Peerless Universal Flat Wall Mount.  The television is fifteen pounds without the stand, well within the weight limits for the wall bracket.  My complaint about the appearance of my Vizio television when mounted is the base for the mount, which protrudes from the bottom of the television about two or three inches and is unfinished.  The Samsung has a much cleaner appearance, with clean lines along the bottom of the television.  The hardware for mounting the base is not visible when you choose to use the wall mount.   In order to allow enough space for the cable connection, which I installed next to the television on the wall, I used the bushing.  While I did not require bushings for mounting my Vizio, it worked out better for the Samsung.  Installation of the brackets was very simple.

I was able to get the cable installed behind the Samsung 32 Inch 4000 Series LED Television which allows enough clearance for me to fit the cable plug into both the receptacle and the back of the television.  I have the panels mounted to the television with bushings, which allows me about one inch of clearance behind the television.  My electrical cord is visible, running down the wall into a socket below the television unit.  Unfortunately, because this outlet is installed in an office location, there is no cable receiver.  This means that I am receiving an analog signal as opposed to a true digital signal.  The appearance of the picture is crystal clear, but I do not benefit from the enhanced quality of the digital signal.

If you prefer to use the base, this television comes with a beefy base of sturdy construction.  The base has a sturdy frame that appears to have a decent metal content to provide adequate support for the television.  The base includes a bracket that mounts to the back of the television allowing the base to snap into place, secured with four additional screws.

Viewing Area

The Samsung 32 Inch 4000 Series LED Television has a 31.5 inch diagonal viewing area.  With the base attached, the weight bumps up from fifteen to nineteen pounds.  The profile thickness of the television is a mere 1.2 inches, which is razor thin.  That is about the same as the area I left behind the television for plugging in cable and other devices.  The native resolution is 1360 x 786, if that quality is received.  I will be adding a DVD player to the television for instructional videos, which will be capable of the higher resolution than the analog signal received from the cable connection.

Picture Quality

The Samsung 32 Inch 4000 Series LED Television has a 3,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio (which blows my Vizio television away) to create a more vivid color scheme to include deeper blacks and brighter whites.  Samsung uses a standard called Clear Motion Rate instead of MHz to determine clarity.  This takes into consideration panel refresh rate, image processor and backlight technology.  This television is rated with a CMR of 60.  Samsung describes the technology as “Samsung's more comprehensive and accurate measure for TV motion clarity. With their outstanding CMR ratings, it's no wonder Samsung TVs deliver extraordinary image quality.”  How that equates to MHz is beyond me.  With my analog reception, I am not able to discern any differences between the picture qualities of this television using the CMR standard.

I like to watch sports and movies in HD on my television at home.  However, my office signal is analog only.  For this reason, I cannot test the digital quality with my eyes.  One of the factors that makes sports programs look good on my home television is the fast pixel response time, which keeps the image crisp instead of blurry when there is a lot of action.  In the battle to produce the fastest, clearest, sharpest image, television companies are constantly pushing the envelope.  I am not sure the naked eye would detect a great difference in these response times, but understand that this picture image is in the “good” range.  It would be easier to compare picture quality if the industry employed a single standard.

Sound Quality

My Vizio LED Television comes with SRS TruSurround HD and SRS TruVolume, which are features designed to ensure that voices are clear, sound effects are crisp and volume levels maintain consistent between programming.  If you have ever watched a movie and had to turn up the volume only to be shocked when the commercials come on, you understand the issue.  The Samsung 32 Inch 4000 Series LED Television uses this same technology, with the same results.  The television features SRS Theater Sound with two 10 watt speakers with down firing to increase the bass qualities.

Set Up/Menu Options

Setting up the Samsung 32 Inch 4000 Series LCD Television was very easy.  Once I had it mounted and plugged into the cable outlet, I turned the unit on.  It allowed me to pick my personal settings before entering auto program mode.  Because I only have about one hundred channels without a cable box, the television quickly scanned through the available channels and set them up.  The auto detection process lasted about ten minutes, which isn’t great, but it may have been slowed by the analog connection.  The channels are displayed in a matrix in the upper left corner of the screen that includes the channel, the name of the channel and the input source.  The remote control for the Samsung 32 Inch 4000 Series LED Television is intuitive to use.

Input/Output Jacks

The television has three additional high definition input connections for adding additional programming sources.  The ports include four (4) HDMI inputs, one (1) Component, one (1) composite AV, one (1)  1 PC (D-sub 15 Pin), one (1) PC Audio Input (Mini Jack), one (1) USB 2.0 Port, one (1) Optical Digital Audio Output, one (1) Audio Out Mini Jack and one (1) DVI Audio Input.  The system uses Connectshare Movie programming for navigating USB devices.

The ports have the following functions:

HDMI - Analog terminals that transmit audio and video information along a single signal.
Component Input -  Analog video connection that transmits information along two or three separate signals.
Composite AV - Analog terminals that transmit audio and video information along a single signal.
PC - VGA connection that transmits analog component video signals via 15 shielded pins at the end of a cable.
PC Audio Input - Port that allows television to receive high-quality sound directly from a computer.
USB 2.0 Port - Universal Serial Bus. Interface standard for connecting peripherals to a computer. USB 2.0 is high-speed.
Digital Audio (Optical) - Ports used to transmit digital audio streams between components without interference.
Audio Out Mini Jack - Stereo port for media players, cameras, and other devices to run audio into or out of the television.
DVI Audio Input - Ports used to receive encrypted, high-quality digital audio signals from media players and other devices.

Power

The Samsung 32 Inch 4000 Series LCD Television is an Energy Star rated appliance.  The range for this product is between eleven and twenty-five dollars per year average electricity cost.  This unit has a surprisingly low energy use estimated at six dollars per year to operate.

Warranty

The warranty on this Samsung 32 Inch 4000 Series LCD Television is one year for parts and labor.  I have never had to send anything back to Samsung under the warranty.  The warranty is good from the original purchase date and can be transferred to another end-user if the television is sold before the warranty expires.  Samsung has a service center locator on their website, but when I attempted to navigate the location menu using my home zip code, the website did not display any locations.  I am certain there are plenty of locations that service these televisions, but you will likely have to call customer support to find out where to bring your television for warranty service.  I still prefer walk in appointments to mail-in, like the warranty service for Vizio.

Overall Impression

This television is not used for gaming or movies.  It stays on news during the day and will eventually also be used in conjunction with a Blu-Ray player for training videos.  For routine office use, this inexpensive, lightweight and streamlined television is excellent.  The sound quality is sharp and crisp, there are more input jacks than we will ever use and the picture quality is great for an analog signal.  Overall, at a price-point near five hundred dollars for a 32 inch LED, this is not the best bargain, but is reasonable.  These televisions will continue to drop in price with the new technology already gaining a customer base.  For most people, this television will work fine and won’t break the bank.  Four stars.

Samsung UN19D4000 19 inch 720p LED HDTV - OPEN BOX

Samsung UN19D4000 19 inch 720p LED HDTV - OPEN BOX

***OPEN BOX*** This NEW product you are browsing has been inspected by our certified technicians to ensure that it meets factory specifications; i...
BuyDig.com

Samsung UN32EH4003  32 720p LED TV

Samsung UN32EH4003 32 720p LED TV

32 720p LED TV direct-lit LED backlight for high picture contrast,60Hz refresh rate,2 HDMI inputs
Crutchfield

Samsung - UN32EH4003 32 Series 4 LED Flat Panel TV, 720p, 60 Clear Motion Rate, Dolby Dig

Samsung UN32EH4003 32 Series 4 LED Flat Panel TV, 720p, 60 Clear Motion Rate, Dolby Digital Plus, 5W x 2 Audio With LED technology, the Samsung 32 Ser...
Adorama

Samsung UN32EH4003 - 32-Inch 720p LED HDTV Clear Motion Rate 60

Advanced features and LED picture quality. With LED technology, the energy-efficient, 32 inch Samsung 4 series TV produces a brilliant, clear picture...
Beach Camera.com

Samsung 32 Class LED 720p 60Hz HDTV, (3.7 ultra-slim)  UN32EH4003

Samsung 32 Class LED 720p 60Hz HDTV, (3.7 ultra-slim) UN32EH4003

With LED technology, the energy-efficient Samsung 32 720p 60Hz LED HDTV produces a brilliant, clear picture. Dolby Digital Plus/Dolby Pulse is an adva...

Samsung - 32 Class (31-1/2 Diag.) - Led - 720p - 60hz – Hdtv Un32eh4003f

Samsung - 32 Class (31-1/2 Diag.) - Led - 720p - 60hz – Hdtv Un32eh4003f

BRAND NEW SEALED Samsung - 32 Class (31-1/2 Diag.) - LED - 720p - 60Hz – HDTV UN32EH4003F 31-1/2 screen measured diagonally from corner to corner Cl...

Samsung 32 Class 720p 60Hz LED HDTV - Black (UN32EH4003FXZA)

Samsung 32 Class 720p 60Hz LED HDTV - Black (UN32EH4003FXZA)

Find televisions and combos at Target.com! Clear motion rate of 60 experience sharp picture quality, even when you are watching fast-moving images lik...

BuyDig.com

UN32EH4003 32 inch 720p LED HDTV

UN32EH4003 32 inch 720p LED HDTV

With LED technology, the energyefficient, 32inch Samsung Series 4 TV produces a brilliant, clear picture. The Dolby Digital Plus/ Dolby Pulse is an ad...
Samsung - 32 Class (31-1/2 Diag.) - LED - 720p - 60Hz - HDTV

Samsung - 32 Class (31-1/2 Diag.) - LED - 720p - 60Hz - HDTV

Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA LED HDTV: Enjoy your favorite movies with a crisp, clear picture on this Samsung LED HDTV's 720p display. Wide Color Enhancer P...
Best Buy