SanDisk Cruzer Fit SDCZ33-008G-A11 (8 GB) USB Flash Drive

SanDisk Cruzer Fit 8GB USB Flash Drive: Too Small, But It Gets The Job Done

Mar 7, 2012

Pros:Good storage capacity, inexpensive, doesn’t protrude much from USB port

Cons:Easy to lose drive or cap, too small to grip comfortably, loop/lanyard not included

The Bottom Line: This flash drive provides easy-to-use portable storage at an affordable price, but its design makes it difficult to handle and easy to lose. Overall, I’d say it’s tolerable.

I carry all of my important documents and works in progress with me at all times on a flash drive, in case the need for them ever arises or I find an opportunity to get some work done on the go. I had been very happy with my PNY Micro Swivel Flash Drive, but had outgrown its storage capacity. I replaced it with the PNY Micro Sleek Flash Drive and found myself in the market for a new drive a month later. I purchased the SanDisk Cruzer Fit 8GB USB Flash Drive and while I’m not crazy about the design, it serves its purpose of portable storage until I find something better.

Design

The nickname “thumb drive” would be more fitting if it were changed to “thumbnail drive” when referring to this flash drive, as it literally rivals my nail in size when I hold my nail against it. The drive measures only 0.9” long by 0.6” wide by 0.3” thick. This design originally appealed to me because I hoped the small size would prevent the drive from damage while plugged into the USB port. In this respect, the design was successful, but it is so small that it’s nearly impossible to handle. There is a small bump on the top of the drive that is supposed to serve as a grip when removing it, but it’s too smooth to be helpful in this capacity. I recently had my USB ports replaced on my laptop and the new ports are tighter than the old ones, resulting in the drive getting stuck numerous times. I have had to ask my husband to pry the drive out of my laptop twice in the last 24 hours.

The overall look of this flash drive is very sleek. The exterior casing of the drive and its cap consists of a shiny black plastic which feels durable. Between the small size of the drive and its detachable cap, I’m very concerned that I’ll lose one or both of these pieces. There is an orange LED light on the top of the drive to indicate when it is being accessed and a loop on the end allows for some sort of lanyard to be attached. I was disappointed that the drive didn’t come with one since it’s an included accessory for many drives and a lanyard would be a huge help in making the drive easier to remove from my computer. I feel some sort of loop would also help me keep track of the drive more easily. I’m hoping I have an old one somewhere in my desk. I’ll be keeping an eye out for a better model in the meantime.

Usage

Like any other plug n’ play device, the SanDisk Cruzer Fit is easy to use. The drive is accessible within a second of plugging it into a USB port. This drive is compatible with USB 2.0 and backwards compatible with USB 1.1. It is also stated as designed for PC and Mac. I used it across all of my machines with Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 without issues.

This drive comes preloaded with SanDisk SecureAccess software for easy password and data encryption setup.

Capacity

This flash drive has an 8 gigabyte (GB) storage capacity. Though file sizes very based on the quality and source of the file, 8GB can generally hold 2,000 photos or songs, 14 hours of video, or 15,000 documents. I chose this capacity because I had hit my limit with my 4GB drive a few times. The 8 GB capacity is perfect for all of my documents with a few photos, music albums, and a movie. I still have extra space for my occasional photo transfers between my computers too!

Price

I purchased this drive on sale from BestBuy.com for $9.99, which I thought was reasonable for the storage capacity. The item came with a two year manufacturer’s warranty.

Sandisk Cruzer Fit 8gb Usb 2.0 Memory Flash Drive Mini Stick Sdcz33-008-b35

Sandisk Cruzer Fit 8gb Usb 2.0 Memory Flash Drive Mini Stick Sdcz33-008-b35

SANDISK CRUZER FIT 8GB USB 2.0 FLASH DRIVE Brand new in sealed factory package - 100% GENUINE - Shipped from USACruzer Fitâ„¢ USB Flash Drive | Item #...

SanDisk Cruzer Switch SDCZ52-008G-A11 8GB USB 2.0 USB Flash Drive
SanDisk Cruzer Glide 8GB USB Flash Drive - Black/Red (SDCZ60-008G-T11)

SanDisk Cruzer Glide 8GB USB Flash Drive - Black/Red (SDCZ60-008G-T11)

Find memory cards and thumb drives at Target.com! Easily recover deleted photos or videos with rescuepro recovery software, included with your sandisk...

8 Gb Sandisk Cruzer Fit Usb 2.0 Flash Drive Small Low Profile Sdcz33-008g Black

8 Gb Sandisk Cruzer Fit Usb 2.0 Flash Drive Small Low Profile Sdcz33-008g Black

SanDisk Cruzer Fit 8GB Main features: Model SDCZ33-008G 8 GB capacity USB 2.0 interface Plug and play Low profile PAYMENT, SHIPPING AND OTHER CONDITIO...

Sandisk Cruzer Force 8gb Usb 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Sdcz71-008g-b35

Sandisk Cruzer Force 8gb Usb 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Sdcz71-008g-b35

SANDISK CRUZER FORCE 8GB USB 2.0 FLASH DRIVE SDCZ71-008G-B35 - NEW Brand new in sealed factory package - 100% GENUINE - Shipped from USA Cruzer Force ...

SanDisk SDCZ36-008G-B35 SanDisk Cruzer SDCZ36-008G-B35 8 GB Flash Drive - USB 2.0 - External
Sandisk Cruzer® Usb Flash Drive - 8gb Sdcz36-008g-b35

Sandisk Cruzer® Usb Flash Drive - 8gb Sdcz36-008g-b35

Click Here. Double your traffic. Get Vendio Gallery - Now FREE! Spider's Gold For Those who prefer Quality SANDISK SDCZ36-008G-B35 Cruzer® USB Flash ...