Sennheiser HD 201 Black Headband Headsets Reviews

Sennheiser HD 201 Black Headband Headsets

Value for the money

Feb 5, 2006 (Updated Feb 5, 2006)

Pros:Build Comfort Outstanding value for the money

Cons:None for the price

The Bottom Line: Good buy for the money, don't expect miracles though, again keeping cost in mind

I got these so that my daughter could practice on her keyboards or play PC games without interference from my hollering.
Let's start by saying this: if you crave for component interconnects that are insulated with unicorn hairs, this is definitely not the toy for you.
The build quality and materials are absolutely outstanding, I paid $17.50 for these and if the cost were 4 times as much, there would be no basis for griping. Regardless of whether Grado, Sennheiser, AKG or Beyerdynamic is your cup of tea, Senn's have a reputation for the choice of materials and the assembly thereof, and these are no exception.
I decided to burn these in, just to be on the fair side. So I gave them some 72 hrs before listening.
The comfort is outstanding, again, for the money you paid.
I think the impedance rating is closer to 20 ohms, so you should not have a problem driving these, regardless of the source. The amount of insulation you get from outside noise is also decent (remember, these are closed headphones) for the money, no complaints there.
As far as music goes (sourced from a portable CD player, a NAD DVD via NAD receiver or PC with M-Audio soundcard), remember what they cost, so don't expect miracles. But they sound definitely better than the Krapsonic buds or phones that came with your low cost portable, if that is what you want to use them for. Consider these as a transducer, whose only functional purpose is to convert the electrical signals into something audible for your ears. So they are nice for PC gaming, even late night TV/DVD watching, ham radio or music if you don't expect hifi quality- it is not entirely fair to comment on whether the "highs have a touch of grain, or the lows are somewhat shy while the mids lack a bit of body and seem recessed", c'mon these are $17.50 so let's be realistic.
But if you are on a tight budget and absolutely need closed cans, I can't possibly see how you could do better for the money- again, though, don't expect miracles, if you are picky about the quality of the music, you need to look from $50 up, although, for closed cans to equal open backed ones in quality, there is a hefty premium to be paid.

Cable, Professional, Stereo, Pro Use: Video Filming, 40 - 20000 Hz, 8 dBm