Sennheiser MX 471 In-Ear only Headphones - Black/Red

The little headphones that could

Mar 4, 2011

Pros:Comfort, Sound Quality, Sennheiser Warranty

Cons:None as of yet. All expectations were met.

The Bottom Line: A must buy for anyone who cant use in ear monitors and wants portable excellence.

With the recent addition of an IPhone 4 to my life. I have been it the dire search to find an adequate ear bud/in ear monitor to suit my extremely picky audio taste.

I learned during the very beginning of my search that IEM were just not going to cut it due to the shape of my ear canals. Getting a perfectly comfortable fitment was so aggravating that I just finally gave up.

Enter the need for a truly great set of ear buds. After hours of digging and reading reviews I came to the brutal conclusion that it appears most of the world is gravitating to the use of in ear monitors, with my previous problems this got even more frustrating.

My other main set of headphones are a set of Sennheiser PX 100's which are a gift from the heavens as far as sound quality goes. Some might ask, "if I am truly that happy why not just stick with them?"  Well....the truth is I wanted something slightly cheaper and even more portable, but not sacrifice quality. Which was very tough to find.

I wandered into my local electronics store and viewed their relatively atrocious assortment of ear buds they had to offer. After leaving in a rather depressed mood I went across the street to a competing business. That's where I saw the Sennheiser MX 471 sitting there. I immediately ran home and found ever nugget of info I could find on them. All of the reviews were fairly positive. So I figured I would take a chance and bought them.

Upon unpakaging, I was shocked to see that Sennheiser had included a convenient carring pouch. What a nice touch. Also included were two sets of foam ear pads and one set of rubber pads which I would assume are for those with larger ears.

I was under the initial impression prior to purchase that these ear buds were smaller than average. I found this to not be the case at all. I compared them to the factory IPhone earbuds and they seemed very close in size to me. I have fairly big ears so the first thing I tried were the included rubber sleeves. After one attempt of installing them I put them in my ears. They were extremly hard to fit in. So upon further examination it turns out I had the rubber sleeves on backwards. So I reversed them and tried again. They were now fitting, just not feeling comfortable. I then removed them and went for the trusty foam pads. Inserted the buds and they were instantly comfortable.

I connected my IPhone 4 which is going to be my main source of listening material for these.My first impression.....My Jaw Dropped! Once I picked it off the floor I started to sample my music collection looking for flaws. I still havent found them. I am a huge RnB and rap music fan so low end extension is a must for any headphone. I have to say these shocked me in this aspect. The bass was clear and not over powering like some of the IEM I had tried previously. The vocals were so natural and warm. So I ran the gambit of my music collection from Rap to Country to 80's rock. Not a single flaw could be found. What totaly sealed the deal was the song Boom Boom Pow by the black eyed peas. The bass was so clear and pronounced but yet never muddied the vocals. A+ Sennheiser! A+ in deed!

So now the question is comfort. Well now having for these for 4+ weeks and during my week long trip to Mexico I can say that I am over joyed with the purchase. I use these for 3 hours a day at work and also used them some days 4+ hours a day while lounging in Mexico. I could barely tell I was wearing anything at all.

In direct comparison, i would say the sound from the MX 471's is very close to the sound I get from the PX 100's. The 100's may have a just a hair more low end. But I think the MX 471's might be a bit more comfortable.

So in case there is any confussion I love these little guys. Well worth double the price and then some!

Sennheiser Mx685 Sports Earbuds Sweatproof In Ear Headphones- Ready To Ship

Sennheiser Mx685 Sports Earbuds Sweatproof In Ear Headphones- Ready To Ship

Sennheiser MX685 Sports Earbuds Sweatproof In Ear Headphones- READY TO SHIP Sennheiser Authorized USA dealer. No Sales Tax on orders outside NY State....

Sennheiser Mx 685 Headphones

Sennheiser Mx 685 Headphones

Brand New!Inside The Original Retail Package!NOT Refurbished!Sennheiser MX 685 Headphones UPC# 615104-221260

Sennheiser On Ear Headphones

Sennheiser On Ear Headphones

Let your ears be loved: Sennheiser's new on-ear headphones URBANITE are the new choice for great sound, deep bass, and urban style on the move.Package...
Office Depot

Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphones - Blue

Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphones - Blue

Find headphones and headsets at Target.com! Stunning sound - sensational style - beautiful and compact, the sennheiser momentum on-ear. It transforms ...

Sennheiser - MOMENTUM - Black, Over-Ear Headphones

Sennheiser - MOMENTUM - Black, Over-Ear Headphones

General Features: Over-Ear Premium Studio Closed-Back Audiophile Headphones Closed circumaural headphone design isolate against ambient noise Metal-co...
Sonic Electronix

Sennheiser - Around Ear Headphones (HD 650)

Sennheiser - Around Ear Headphones (HD 650)

Buy at Newegg.com Sennheiser - Around Ear Headphones (HD 650)
Newegg.com

Sennheiser Momentum On Ear Headphone - Blue
Sennheiser Momentum Closed Over-Ear iPod iPhone Stereo Headphones w/Case   Black

Sennheiser Momentum Closed Over-Ear iPod iPhone Stereo Headphones w/Case Black

The **Sennheiser MOMENTUM** headphones make the famous Sennheiser sound quality tangible. It is reflected in the material selection of these refined h...