Sennheiser RS 120 Headband Wireless Headphones - Black Reviews

Sennheiser RS 120 Headband Wireless Headphones - Black

Free Shipping eBay Deals

Sennheiser RS 120 Wireless Headphones ~ An Overall Disappointment For Our Needs

Jan 4, 2009 (Updated Jan 4, 2009)

Pros:Wireless; rechargeable batteries; range up to 330 feet; quick set up

Cons:Did not meet our expectations; low volume

The Bottom Line: We are returning these wireless headphones as they did not meet our expectations - will be looking for another model or brand

I was really excited to find these seemingly higher quality wireless headphones and thought they would provide just what we were looking for.  These were a gift for my husband who would like to enjoy the bedroom TV or radio longer into the evening after I have gone to sleep.  He had wired headphones for the radio, but nothing for the TV.

I purchased the Sennheiser Wireless RS 120 Wireless Headphones which came with a storage unit that also acted as a charging station.  The storage/charge unit was convenient and could be placed on on or near your TV or radio sound source, or mounted on a wall (the unit will also work connected to a computer).  We chose to place ours on the stand so that we could move it whenever we wanted.

What comes in the box are one pair of Sennheiser RS-120 Wireless Headphones, Transmitter  - Storage Base Unit with audio connecting cable, Power cord,  audio connector adapter, 2 AAA Rechargeable Batteries, & Quick Install Guide.  The set comes with a 2-year warranty. Everything is well packed in an easy to open flip-top box.  Everything in the box, other than the guide, was individually wrapped in a protective plastic cover.

Directions are provided in nine languages - it looks like a lot of information, but there is actually just basic direction and information;  There are six small diagrams that go along with the brief directions. Find your language and go from there!

Set up direction is very easy and quick.  It is a basic plug in to the wall and plug in to the audio out on the TV or radio, insert the batteries into the headphones - and charge for at least 24 hours before 1st use.  There is a "red" light on the base that indicates charging is taking place - however the light stays red even when the batteries are fully charged, so. . .  There is a "green" light on the base that indicates it is turned on.

Once you have everything charged up and plugged in, check to see if the on/ready light is on, and listen.  Or I should say, hopefully listen.

There are three switches/dials on the headphones themselves, and one switch with 3 positions on the transmitter/storage base.  The three on the headphones are 1) on/off switch,   2) volume dial, and 3) tuning dial.  The switch on the base has 3 different frequency settings.

You need to have your TV or radio on before tuning in with the headphones.  Once you have the channel or station set, you put the headphones on and manually turn the tuning dial until you hear the sound (from TV or radio) coming in.  You can adjust the volume to your preference.  This is where we had a problem.

We easily determined which frequency setting worked for us.  We moved the base to several different spots to remove any effects of interference from our electronic equipment (this was a trouble-shooting suggestion).  We tuned in several different stations and channels.  We turned the volume up all the way.  The sound was always low and if the tuning dial was moved slightly (like it might be if laying in bed) you would lose the signal altogether and get an earful of static.  The static was loud - the regular sound volume was not.  I knew the speakers in the headphones did work because of how loud the static would be!

What we soon discovered, besides the fact that the volume was just too low, was that the volume on the TV or radio needed to be "on" in order for the headphones to work.  I admit after looking everywhere, that the directions or box do NOT say you can listen while no one else does.  The volume needs to be on to a certain level for the headphones to work.  It is not a loud level, but I could still hear the mumble of voices or music while trying to sleep.  The directions do state that the "volume of the sound source must be sufficient, otherwise the transmitter automatically turns off."

I am sure the Sennheiser Wireless RS 120 Wireless Headphones would be great for those that want to wander around the house or out into the yard and still be able to listen to the TV or radio.  The range of 330 feet is true - but the volume remained low no matter where we went. This was not the reason we wanted them for however.  Even if we did, the low volume level would kill the enjoyment.  The problem may have just been with our headphones, but we will not be returning for another pair of the same -- we will go with a different brand/model next time.

The headphones themself are fairly big, but quite light and comfortable.  They do not squeeze your head, yet they stay in place without any sliding or shifting.  The ear cushions are soft and do not cause your ears to get hot and sweat. The headphones are a smooth plastic with give to the head-band.  For adult use they should hold up well. The batteries go into the ear piece which is easy to turn and remove the cover for battery placement.

The weight of the transmitter is 7.05 ounces.  The weight of the headphones are 8.11 ounces with the batteries in place.  The operating time of the charged batteries is about 20 hours before you will need to recharge them.  The AF frequency/response is at 22Hz-19,500Hz.

You can check out the German company, Sennheiser, on-line at:  www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf

If you are looking for headphones with good volume, range, and the ability to listen to TV/music without having to have the source volume turned on, then these are not for you.  If you want headphones that let you wander wirelessly in and outside of the house (or office) you may find these work for you - good luck on the volume though.

Thanks for reading!  Judy

Designed for use with Sennheiser's RS 120 Wireless Headphones System, the Sennheiser HDR 120 - Expansion Wireless RF Headphones are a supplementary or...
SRRS120 800-617-4686 Add BuyDig store to favorites Sennheiser RS 120 Open Aire Wireless RF Headphones w/ Charging Stand and SRS Surround Catalog #: SR...
eBay Deals

Sennheiser HDR120 Supplemental HiFi Wireless Headphone for RS-120 System Special Shipping Promotion!Upgrade to 2-Day Air for just $5.99! Description S...
SRRS120 About BeachCamera Our Awards Photography Digital Imaging Video Printers Computers Audio Television Home Garden Add beachcamera store to favori...
Brand new and factory sealed. By purchasing this item, you agree to and have read all terms, shipping terms and return policies in the listing. Please...
Supra Aural/ Wireless RF Headphone System/ Range Of Up To 100 Meters/ Three Selectable RF Channels/ Transmitter With Metal Cradle
Abt Electronics
Sennheiser RS120 Wireless RF Headphones with FiiO D03K (D3) Optical Audio Connection Kit - The RS 120 is a lightweight RF wireless headphone system wi...