Sony DVP-SR210P DVD Player Reviews

Sony DVP-SR210P DVD Player

Free Shipping Adorama
+$4.98 shipping Target

This DVD player plays DVDs.

Feb 19, 2013 (Updated Feb 19, 2013)

• Sound:
  • Picture Quality:

Pros:Inexpensive; widely available; performs its intended function.

Cons:A bit slow on transitions; flimsy disc tray.

The Bottom Line: A solid no-frills unit that will meet most DVD-playing needs.

After our first Blue-ray DVD player died abruptly less than an year after purchase, I decided it was time to go back to basics.  These days, it’s tough to get much more basic than the Sony DVP-SR210P Progressive Scan DVD Player.

The Basics
This cheap, compact, progressive-scan DVD player occupies about a square foot of space under our TV. It boasts no VCR or Blue-ray option but does play several different types of DVDs and CDs. The unit comes with a basic remote control that can be programmed to control most televisions, although we haven’t bothered using this feature.

We found the Sony DVP-SR210P DVD Player in stock at our local Walmart for around $35.00. It was worth a small premium to be able to get the product this promptly, but if you are price-sensitive and can wait on the mail Amazon.com currently offers the same player for $29.99.

See http://store.sony.com/p/DVP-SR210P/en/p/DVPSR210P for complete product details.

Our Experience
The set-up process went quickly and we were up and running with our new DVD player almost immediately after purchase.

We typically play at least one DVD per day and have thus thoroughly put this product through its paces since purchasing it about four months ago. During this time, the Sony DVP-SR210P has performed well. No sound or image quality issues have been noted – in fact, our videos look downright amazing as compared to the content we stream through our Wii! Unlike with our old player, I have experienced few issues with DVDs freezing and those I have noticed can probably be chalked up to using rental discs, which are often rather well-loved. This DVD player provides the option to start a disc where you left off, even if as many as five other movies were played in the interim.

The Sony remote control is one of the better ones I’ve had, with a squatty, comfortable shape and easy-to-understand controls. I personally find the power, play, pause, stop, fast forward, and rewind buttons sufficient to get most DVD-related jobs done. More advanced options include an audio button for language selection, subtitle option, and a fast/slow button to control the speed of play.

While this DVD certainly meets my family’s needs, I can’t give it a perfect rating. The disc tray feels a little flimsy and I’m worried it’s going to snap off if I fail to put a disc in exactly right. Also, there is sometimes a weird delay after the machine is powered and a new disc inserted. Hitting “menu” tends to wake the machine up, but overall it seems the process of starting a new DVD takes much longer than it should. Transitions between the DVD and the menu screen run a bit slow as well.

Overall . . .
The Sony DVP-SR210P DVD Player is probably not the most advanced media player on the market. However, it provides a solid value for those who just want to be able to watch DVDs without committing to a more expensive model.

Amount Paid (US$): 35ish

Sony DVP-SR210P DVD Player with Progressive Output (480p), 96kHz/24-bit Digital Output Sony DVP-SR210P Progressive Scan DVD Player is a versatile ente...
Adorama
DVD PlayerIn stock
Add a sleek DVD player to your home theater system and you'll be sharing your favorite flicks with family and friends in no time.
MacMall
Find dvd, vcr players and set-top boxes at Target.com! Watch all your favorite dvd's on this sony dvd player. It's easy to operate and plays cd's and ...