Sony CFD-S350 CD/Radio/Cassette Boombox Reviews

Sony CFD-S350 CD/Radio/Cassette Boombox

Decent portable, BOOMBOX it's not!

Nov 3, 2006

Pros:Inexpensive portable, better than most.

Cons:Obvious cost cutting here.

The Bottom Line: Good for average everyday use where high quality sound is not a concern

I needed a work radio. But one that I consider "expendable" as my coworkers also use it. But I did'nt want a POS neither.
Years ago I remember when those HUGE boomboxes were all the rage. The bigger and louder, the better. I have a few still in good condition after all these years but they'll never see the light of day.
So off to the stores and internet I went and boy was I surprised! What junk! The only decent portable was the JVC Kaboom series but it was more than I needed.I actually stumbled upon this little gem in Wally world,with a price rollback to $50 to boot.
The sound is good,not overwhelming, perfect for background music. It plays all CD's easily as well as tapes. The tuner pulls all the NYC local stations in with ease. And the remote controls all the tuner and CD functions from a distance.I keep it plugged in most of the time. The one time I put batteries in (6 C cells) they lasted all day without missing a beat and that was with the CD playing over and over.
You need to keep in mind that this is not meant to be a primary sound system. Sony cut a lot of corners to bring this in so cheap. The amplifier is weak and loses steam at full volume. The cabinet and most of the parts are plastic and most of the circuitry is on 3 or 4 chips. This unit is meant and designed to be a portable companion when not at home, it does this with ease hands down.

div style=text-align:centerimg src=http://ti2.auctiva.com/sw/java.gif border=0br table align=centertr td a style=text-decoration:none href=http://empo...