Sony MDR-E818LP In-Ear only Headphones - Black Reviews

Sony MDR-E818LP In-Ear only Headphones - Black

Great Value, Excellent Replacement Headphone

Jun 16, 2007 (Updated Jun 16, 2007)

Pros:Excellent Sound for the money Don't fall out of your ears Robust cables and construction

Cons:Not *perfect* (but still vgood). Check the phones before leaving the store.

The Bottom Line: Perfect replacement headphone for mp3 players. Excellent sound quality for the price.

These headphones produce excellent value for money. For most people these are the perfect trade off of cost vs sound quality. When I got mp3 player it came with the usual cheap headphone and I couldn't stand them (since I'm used to my Sennheiser HD560's). I wanted good sound but didn't want to pay much since the headphones will get chucked around in may bag.

I'd strongly recommend people throwing out the cheap headphones that come with the mp3 players and replacing them with these.

Since purchasing my Sony MD-E818LP's I've been very happy with them. From a hifi geek point of view I know they aren't perfect (there is a peak in the response at about 2kHz or so and abnormalities higher up) but for the price I didn't expect them to be. I've compared them against the much more costly ipod headphones. While the ipods are a technically better (flatter response) they aren't that much better than the MD-E818LP's. The 818's are a tad more lively. In fact I'd say in a comparison 50% of people will go for the Sony's and 50% for the ipods.

I've had my headphones for 20 months and they get heavy use. I've worn them exercising, in rain, and they get chucked around in my bag. They have held-up fantastically and there is no sign of fatigue of the connectors or cable.

The only bad thing I can say is the first pair I purchased was faulty. The sound level in one ear was lower than the other and it had no bass. Most likely caused by a jammed-up diaphragm - a manufacturing issue. The shop replaced it but it took a while for the uninitiated salesperson to understand what I was talking about. You see the occasional bad reviews on these phones, it makes me wonder if this is an occasional problem. My advice is to listen carefully for this problem. Despite this I'd still buy another pair, perhaps not from overseas though.

New Sony MDR-E818LP Lightweight Stereo Earbuds / Earphon​es - Black / Silver Cord Dimensions:Appox. 1 m (39 3/8 in) with stereo mini plug Features:S...
Item Description High Quality 16mm Driver Units / Neodymium Magnets for Powerful Bass and Clear Treble Sound / Comfortable In-Ear Design Item Features...