Sony MDR-EX81LP In-Ear only Headphones - Black Reviews

Sony MDR-EX81LP In-Ear only Headphones - Black

Disappointing: Good Quality, Awful Ergonomics

Jul 17, 2005
Rated Show

Pros:Sound quality, isolation, dual length leads, cost, high sensitivity

Cons:Poor ergonomics. uncomfortable, not adjustable, asymmetric leads, leads tangle very easily

I bought these as replacements for a pair of cheap Ross headphones for the gym. My MDR EX71s are excellent, but they don't stay in very long, the cord tangles easily, noises are transmitted through the cord via friction, and the asymmetrical leads have an irritating way of dragging on one ear.

The EX81s look as if they solve the problem of the buds being pulled out. In practice, they only prevent the earphone from falling off the ear itself; the earbud (usually the left one on the short lead) works loose and the bud is left dangling from its hook on your ear.

The hooks don't adjust in any way, so if your ears aren't a suitable size, you may experience the same problem.

On the plus side, the buds have good isolation and quality (IMO), and their sensitivity means that my MP3 player needs only a fraction of the volume I have to use with other phones for good results.

Disappointing: an opportunity squandered to make these ideal gym phones.

Audio Driver Unit : 9mm Frequency Response : 5Hz - 23,000Hz Impedance : 16 ohms Sensitivity (db) : 100dB/mW General Case Type : Case Design : Earbud D...

Brand new Sony MDR-EX81LP Bud-Style Stereo Earphones (Black) Technical Details Closed type earphone structure delivers deep bass sound Elastomer hange...