Sony MDR-EX81LP In-Ear only Headphones - Black Reviews

5 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Very Good

Great Headphones

Jul 19, 2005

Pros:Sound! Bass response is fabulous for iPods.

Cons:Not sure about the over the ear design. However, it neither helps nor hinders performance.

The Bottom Line: For those who want "in the ear" phones, but don't want to shell out $300 for Etymotic 4Ps, these offer excellent sound for a great price.

First of all, I don't think any "in the ear" headphones will be good for the gym or exercising if you choose to buy the kind that only has the vinyl/rubber inserts. Those inserts get slippery when wet (from sweat). The foam one's will work best. Try Etymotic 4Ps or something like them.

These headphones have tried to keep the phones from being pulled from the ear by making an "over the ear" addition to the ear plug inserts. The part is inflexible, so unless your ear is exactly the same size as the ear piece, it will be ineffective. Maybe it could just be used to hold the earpiece in place over your ear when the inserts aren't inserted?

Other than that, I would say if you find the correct size insert for your ear they are very comfortable. I've worn them for hours without any fatigue.

The best part about these phones is the sound! Great bass response is the biggest plus...especially for iPod users. The sound tends to be a bit warm in the mid bass frequencies but is otherwise clean and accurate. The sound isolation this style of phones offers creates a better sound stage for the listening experience. Although my Sony MDR-V6s have a more "spacious" feel for some music, I couldn't be happier with the more discrete look and feel of the EX-81s.

Great phones, and not just for the price ($38 shipped from Buy.com)

Sony MDR-EX81LP over-the-ear earphones delivers great sound and comfort MDR-EX81LP stereo in-ear headphones are ideal for planes and trains Sony MDR-E...

Audio Driver Unit : 9mm Frequency Response : 5Hz - 23,000Hz Impedance : 16 ohms Sensitivity (db) : 100dB/mW General Case Type : Case Design : Earbud D...
Brand new Sony MDR-EX81LP Bud-Style Stereo Earphones (Black) Technical Details Closed type earphone structure delivers deep bass sound Elastomer hange...