Sony MDR-EX81LP In-Ear only Headphones - Black Reviews

Sony MDR-EX81LP In-Ear only Headphones - Black

Save your money!

Aug 10, 2008 (Updated Aug 10, 2008)

Pros:comfortable fit carry case is nice several bud sizes to choose from

Cons:horrible sound quality any OEM headphone will sound better

The Bottom Line: Go elsewhere. $40 is a lot to spend on something that will sound worse than the headphones that likely came with your player.

I'm happy to report that I was fortunate enough NOT to have had to pay for these headphones. They were given to me from a friend. His wife got them for him and didn't fit his ears, so he passed them along to me. $40+ loss for them... Nothing gained for me.

The over-the-ear design, to begin with, isn't something for people that wear glasses, or constantly wear sunglasses, like myself. The clips will get in the way.

Some people aren't comfortable with bud-style earpieces, I usually don't have a problem with them I did find these fairly comfortable.

But, the sound is HORRIBLE. I have an over-the-head set of headphones that I bought for $15 in 1996. They are FAR better than these Sony's. Despite the 5-23,000 Hz claimed frequency response, it sounds more like 100-15000. HORRIBLE.

Save your money and find something else. Labtec Elite 820's run $10-15 these days, so you'll have enough to take someone out on a date with the savings, or put a couple gallons of gas back in the car. And you'll be greatly impressed with the sound quality.

here are some stats from Sony

# earbud headphones with flexible rubber hangers
# 9mm drivers
# frequency response: 5-23,000 Hz
# 4-foot cord with right-angle, gold-plated mini plug
# three sizes of detachable earbuds
# replacement earpads
# carry case
# impedance: 16 ohms
# weight: 0.36 oz.

Audio Driver Unit : 9mm Frequency Response : 5Hz - 23,000Hz Impedance : 16 ohms Sensitivity (db) : 100dB/mW General Case Type : Case Design : Earbud D...