Sony MDR-AS20J Ear-Hook Headphones - White Reviews

Sony MDR-AS20J Ear-Hook Headphones - White

I won't run a block without my Sony MDR-AS20J headphones!

May 9, 2010

Pros:Inexpensive, comfortable, decent sound.

Cons:I lost the shirt clip.

The Bottom Line: I am really thrilled with these headphones!

I'm fairly technologically-challenged, and only purchased my first MP3 player three months ago when silent marathon training threatened to drive me to madness.  Unfortunately, I apparently have irregularly shaped ear canals, and as a result spent a good portion of every run trying to wedge the stupid little earbuds in place only to have them pop out again just moments later.  Fortunately, with my purchase of Sony MDR-AS20J ear clip headphones, this problem has been completely and totally solved for a reasonable price!

My Experience
Intended for sports/active use, these headphones can be found at many major bricks and mortar retailers including Best Buy, Kmart, and Walmart.  You can also find them online at Amazon.com.  Most places seem to price them right around $19.99, which is what I paid.  I picked these because they were the most affordable sports-focused product, and I'm glad I didn't buy the $30.00+ version instead.

My Sony MDR-AS20J are shaped like an ear and are quite flexible, except for the hard plastic part with the speaker.  As such, they can be bent and maneuvered to fit around a wide variety of ear sizes and shapes, including mine.  I don't think they would work for extremely small ears, but they should be just fine for most folks.  While the initial positioning requires a little work, I rarely have to touch them again during a workout.  The ear pieces are very comfy, thanks to the light-weight, flexible plastic used to hold them place.  I quickly forget I'm wearing them and they still feel good after a couple of hours and gallons of sweat.

These headphones come with a lengthy cord which can be easily plugged into an iPod or computer.  They also came with a clip, which was handy for attaching to my shirt and preventing my arms from getting tangled in the cord while I run.  Unfortunately, I lost this component, and don't care enough to try to replace it.

Sound quality is definitely acceptable with these headphones, at least for my purely recreational purposes.  The speaker on these angles the music into my ear more effectively than traditional earbuds, so I avoid having to crank the volume up to an unhealthy level when the wind blows.  I have read a couple of online reviews for these head phones citing shorts and subsequently poor sound quality after a few uses.  Mine have made it through at least 20-30 workouts without incident, so I guess so far so good.

Overall . . .

I love using my iPod much more now that I no longer have to fight with uncooperative earbuds.  If you, too, are looking for something that will stay put, feel comfy, and not cost a fortune, look no further than the fabulous Sony MDR-AS20J ear clip headphones!

SONY ACTIVE STYLE LOOP-HANGER EARBUD TYPE HEADPHONE: MDR-AS20J WHITE The vertical, in-the-ear active style MDR-AS20J headphones makes it easy to add a...